The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Shooter Games: The Range (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/)
-   -   Stargate Resistance *released* (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/274537-stargate-resistance-released.html)

Reoh 10th December 2009 12:25 PM

Stargate Resistance *released*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kotaku
Stargate Resistance is a 3rd-person online shooter for the PC in which human forces use stargates to travel around the galaxy in order to stem the tide of a massive invasion by the System Lords. Players can take up arms on either side of the conflict, with Galactic Domination granting the winning team across multiple servers and worlds an advantage over their opponents.

Developer: Cheyenne Mountain

This company has also been working on a Stargate MMO game but has had some difficulties over the last year. While development is continuing they've just released some info and a website for a new third person shooter game.

Screenshots: LINK
Interviews: LINK

Vulcan21 10th December 2009 01:33 PM

I can see how Stargate could be an MMO, but as a FPS I don't know ?

Reoh 10th December 2009 02:19 PM

Well the MMO was actually sort of partially FPS too originally I think. At an educated guess I would say that they've taken the already developed resources to launch this game in an attempt to help raise cash to finish development of their MMO still in the works.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, they've been working on the other for quite a while and it was looking fairly tasty. So they could just port the art assets over, and keep whatever parts of their engine (it was already playable) necessary and then marry that with some sort of to-be-announced online match making system.

I wonder what sort of gametypes they'll have. I suppose the most obvious would be TDM, and I could see some sort of capture the flage (or, erm... artifact?) fitting in quite nicely. They could a control point war across a field just as easily, or really most any of the commonly recognised FPS game formats could be worked to fit in with the theme.

King_Rocket 10th December 2009 06:10 PM

It looks a little outdated, maybe this has come from that failed Stargate FPS from a few years back.

r8response 11th December 2009 06:46 PM

They bit off more than they could chew (the MMO) and are going to now release a substandard FPS based on the MMO's engine?

Mysterio3 11th December 2009 07:04 PM

im just gonna wait for the MMORPG. from some of the gameplay trailers and screenies, it looks like it's got heaps of potential, coupled with the immense number of SG fans that will probably play it, it should turn out to be alright provided they have good post release support.

Drac 11th December 2009 07:37 PM

This looks very dated, and all the confusion about the MMO and now this...

Begs the question... what the hell happened?

King_Rocket 11th December 2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysterio3 (Post 2623855)
im just gonna wait for the MMORPG. from some of the gameplay trailers and screenies, it looks like it's got heaps of potential, coupled with the immense number of SG fans that will probably play it, it should turn out to be alright provided they have good post release support.

Except it may never make it to market, especially if this game doesn't do well.

Reoh 12th December 2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drac (Post 2623897)
This looks very dated, and all the confusion about the MMO and now this...

Begs the question... what the hell happened?

This is just speculation, but they ran out of funds, perhaps secured a little more, and are now releasing a smaller game to help raise capital to finish their MMO.

Reoh 24th December 2009 06:28 PM

There's a good interview about Stargare Resistance and information about it in this QnA over at Gateworld.

GateWorld CME answers Stargate Resistance questions