Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd February 2010, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1331

Default Considering Borderlands

Hey all,

I am seriously considering purchasing Borderlands. I know I am far behind as the game was released quite a while ago. I am a little worried that I may not like this sort of game, as I don't have much experience in this genre.

My experience is almost entirely MMO's or Diablo type games. I have never really played shooters much, but I have heard great things about this game.

The games I love, are games where you work long and hard to build up your character. The issues I have had in the past with shooters have to do with this. I have never been very attracted to just playing through a game where I need to kill stuff in the same way as all the other millions of players did. I want to feel like my game experience can be a little bit unique, based mostly on the character I build and the items I loot and wear.

I hope that is not confusing, and I really don't know much about Borderlands. I would appreciate your feedback on my preferences above and if they may clash with Borderlands.

For instance, I purchased Modern Warfare 2 but I just can't get very into it. I know that my online level raises as I get better, but all the rankings are related to me as the user, not to the character I am building...does that make sense? I like to play different characters with different play styles often. This obviously leads me to MMOs, but I am burnt out right now on them.

Sorry for the long post. I hope you guys might have some input for me.

Thanks,

Dday

Old 3rd February 2010, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

I know what you mean Dday, while there is now a number of shooter titles in my library, I've always been an MMO player at heart. While the mechanics are obviously different, Borderlands in many ways represents an RPG. You travel the world of Pandora, exploring new areas and evolving the story, guided by quests. These jobs you find around the place will be fairly familiar to any MMORPG player.

Your character develops and grows, and you unlock new abilities. There are even skill trees (and yes, you can respec fairly cheaply). The best part about this game though, is playing through with a friend imho. It makes the whole world scale in difficulty on the fly; they did that part really well.

The online leveling of COD:MW2 and other such games is nothing like in Borderlands.

Also, while this game has had some connectivity issues in multiplayer modes (and a patch was released just today to help fix that), all in all I would say that it is very worthwhile to play.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
I know what you mean Dday, while there is now a number of shooter titles in my library, I've always been an MMO player at heart. While the mechanics are obviously different, Borderlands in many ways represents an RPG. You travel the world of Pandora, exploring new areas and evolving the story, guided by quests. These jobs you find around the place will be fairly familiar to any MMORPG player.

Your character develops and grows, and you unlock new abilities. There are even skill trees (and yes, you can respec fairly cheaply). The best part about this game though, is playing through with a friend imho. It makes the whole world scale in difficulty on the fly; they did that part really well.

The online leveling of COD:MW2 and other such games is nothing like in Borderlands.

Also, while this game has had some connectivity issues in multiplayer modes (and a patch was released just today to help fix that), all in all I would say that it is very worthwhile to play.
Great feedback!! I appreciate the information and based on this, I will definitely give this game a try.

As for the "play with a friend" idea. After I get comfortable playing single player and familiarize myself with the game, what are my options? I don't have a RL friend that has the game, nor do I expect to. Is there a chance to play together with folks from TOG in this way?

Thanks again.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday_0612 View Post
Great feedback!! I appreciate the information and based on this, I will definitely give this game a try.

As for the "play with a friend" idea. After I get comfortable playing single player and familiarize myself with the game, what are my options? I don't have a RL friend that has the game, nor do I expect to. Is there a chance to play together with folks from TOG in this way?

Thanks again.
You can randomly join people or open up your game to others, but I wouldn't advise that. My recommendation would be to join the TOG Borderlands Group, and convince them to come play with you!

We need you, Citizen!
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You can randomly join people or open up your game to others, but I wouldn't advise that. My recommendation would be to join the TOG Borderlands Group, and convince them to come play with you!
Thanks again! How do I go about getting an invite with the TOG steam group? It seems that it is by invite only.

Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Amused

You get one of the admins to invite you... which apparently I am! Whats your Steam name mate?

We need you, Citizen!
Old 4th February 2010, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You get one of the admins to invite you... which apparently I am! Whats your Steam name mate?
I got an invite last night, thanks!