Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th February 2010, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytefang View Post
I loved the art-style of Borderlands but the fact that it's not at all optimized for PC makes me no longer interested in any Gearbox games at all. If they can't take the small amount of time it would take to provide a normalized FOV, a decent PC UI (with legible text), and the option to turn off View Bob along with providing anti-aliasing (a must for games, imho)...then that's not a company I'm terribly trusting with my money. \
Borderlands used the UT3 engine which has never supported AA under DX9. Apart form that it ran great on my PC. FOV was easily tweaked and viewbob has never bothered me (don't all games have this?). I also didn't have an issue with the menu text. Was readable to me, in fact a lot of people complained the text was too big which is a bit silly, if it's too big I can give them a 14" fishbowl CRT and I'll keep their "too big" widescreen LCD safely hidden away from their sensitive eyes.

The UI was a kludge job but that happens in a lot of games. It seems only when the game is also released on consoles do a lot of PC gamer feel compelled to scream blue murder over this. I recall the BF2 UI being utterly terribly and most of it's key binds being a mess (still are), and that was a PC only release. Every online server browser in a non-valve games has always been horrible. In fact, long before console gaming dominance game UI's on PC were generally their worst feature.

Last edited by Drac; 10th February 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th February 2010, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
Is this what the Demo looks like, or maybe its the internal build?

Judging by the comments on screen that's an example of the PS3 build.
Old 11th February 2010, 03:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent Officer
Deadly - Post: 2232

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Borderlands used the UT3 engine which has never supported AA under DX9.
Yeah, I was aware of that sad incapability of the vaunted UE 3.0 Engine.

Quote:
Apart form that it ran great on my PC. FOV was easily tweaked and viewbob has never bothered me (don't all games have this?).
Yeah, I did like that it ran really well on my system (though it should, I have a pretty beefy system). But I shouldn't have to tweak FOV myself, that's a common-sense, easy fix if you really did create this game with the "PC as the first platform" (what Randy Pitchford, Gearbox's CEO had claimed, laughably). Just a goofy omission. Plus it's not the best fix, as it breaks when you use the Run button.

Most games do have View Bob but most of them (also) offer the option to shut it off, for those with VIMS (videogame induced motion sickness).

Quote:
I also didn't have an issue with the menu text. Was readable to me, in fact a lot of people complained the text was too big which is a bit silly, if it's too big I can give them a 14" fishbowl CRT and I'll keep their "too big" widescreen LCD safely hidden away from their sensitive eyes.
The problem was that the use of larger text also proved that good ol' Randy Pitchford was lying when he claimed that the PC was the lead platform for the game. Larger text and UI elements are created for console gamers who sit back 10-15 ft and play on a larger HDTV. So when you see that kind of text in a game that supposedly has been adjusted to be appropriate for PC gaming, you know the devs have been lying.

Quote:
The UI was a kludge job but that happens in a lot of games. It seems only when the game is also released on consoles do a lot of PC gamer feel compelled to scream blue murder over this. I recall the BF2 UI being utterly terribly and most of it's key binds being a mess (still are), and that was a PC only release. Every online server browser in a non-valve games has always been horrible. In fact, long before console gaming dominance game UI's on PC were generally their worst feature.
I think you have it backwards here, when a game is cross-platform, THAT'S when we traditionally see crappy UI elements and blocky, larger text. And that's mainly because the designers were either inconsiderate of the PC demographic or just plain lazy and couldn't be bothered to make a proper port of their game for the PC.

Whether or not a normal, dedicated PC-title's UI is sloppy isn't the issue. I'm referring to those elements in a game that clearly reveal that the game was made for consoles and that the developers obviously made no effort to localize the PC version for its players/customers.

In that regard, Borderlands lost a ton of appeal for me - I still haven't played it past a few levels simply because it's too much work to get it feeling and looking like it should. Hopefully someday they'll either patch the good stuff in or some enterprising (and kind) PC gaming soul will just mod the crap out of it so it'll feel better and look better on the PC. Until then, it's a B- effort at best, imho.
Old 11th February 2010, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

Haven't had a proper look at the demo. ping was much too huge and none of you guys were around to grab.

Memorial Signature pic
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote