Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th February 2010, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 731

Buzzed
Default [Borderlands] Expansions

Has anyone tried the expansions for Borderlands? I believe that there are now 2 (i think they maybe adding another one soon that supposedly increases the lvl cap) @ $9.99 each. Are they worth it? Do they add a lot more content and fun or are they just money grabs? Would you recommend them? Do you need to added them in order or can you pick one or the other? Once my new credit card comes i'm very much thinking of getting these expansions.

Old 9th February 2010, 03:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1331

While I donít have answers to your questions, I was just about to post a similar question to all you guys.

I have been told to definitely get the island zombie expansion, and I am undecided about Moxxi. At this point I am level 26 in the game and I am not sure when the best time to purchase the Island expansion would be. I worry that if I buy the expansion and play it right after my first playthrough, I will go into my second playthrough too high in level. Is this a legitimate concern? Should I consider buying the DLC after my second playthrough?

I hope some of you guys have some thoughts about this.

Thanks.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4186

Level 26 myself and been wondering, I don;t realy play this enough now to warrant it, as the 2 other guys I used to group with aren't playing it as much now.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25502

Amused

Yes, I purchased them while they were on special and below the $9.99. The Publishers charge Australians 30% extra across their entire range, and don't give a stuff about complaints on the topic.

The Zombie Island of doctor Ned was kinda fun, played through that not so long ago with a friend. It has more of a story than most of the regular game. With connected quests that lead you about the area as you uncover what has happened. there's some neat little things too, and a bunch of new enemies to try. For some daft reason they didn't add in any achievements though.

Mad Moxxi's from what I've seen adds less. There's a bunch of arena's you can compete in with friends. You fight waves of enemies that get progressively harder, and mad Moxxi has a random effect generator which throws in a twist. Like for a wave you might have no shields, or mobs move extra fast, have better weapons, are super strong except to snipers, etc.

The best thing about Mad Moxxi's content is that you can replay the missions with friends to get the loot at the end (which is supposed to be pretty good), and perhaps mostly the addition of a bank that really should have been in the base game. You can get to these at lower levels I believe, but the bank is pretty small under you reach your 30's and can start buying upgrades off the vendor machine. If you're near 50 then its actually fairly large.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2006

Asleep

Don't forget that the expansions also add SecuROM DRM to your game.
Old 9th February 2010, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
The best thing about Mad Moxxi's content is that you can replay the missions with friends to get the loot at the end (which is supposed to be pretty good), and perhaps mostly the addition of a bank that really should have been in the base game. You can get to these at lower levels I believe, but the bank is pretty small under you reach your 30's and can start buying upgrades off the vendor machine. If you're near 50 then its actually fairly large.
Mad Moxxi's isn't about questing like the main game and Zombie Island - it's about:

• complete the two short tournaments (playthrough 1 and 2) to gain 2 additional skill points, otherwise unavailable;
  • the "bank" with up to 42 storage slots (if you're like me, they'll fill very quickly); and,
  • the "challenge" of pitting yourself (and friends) against Moxxi's arenas.

The arenas are really meant for level 50 characters who have completed all the quests and need something else to "proove themselves", but can be entered by lower level characters. I actually find them a decent enough challenge to help you sort out which of the various weapons you've accumulated are worth keeping.

One of these days I'm determined to complete the long tournament (only got as far as round 8 so far)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Brush View Post
Don't forget that the expansions also add SecuROM DRM to your game.
Technically one of the patches added SecuROM to everyone's game, it's just that the SecuROM doesn't actually (allegedly) do anything unless you have the DLCs installed.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Amused

Yeah the Moxxi arena's add a level of replayability for you and your friends to group up and have some fun. That was something sorely missing I felt from the game. Once you'd done it all, you only had DLC left, as it dribbles out.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 10th February 2010, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 731

Buzzed

Thanks for the info, definitely think i'll get them then, i am enjoying the game but going through it the second time its starting to get old and i think some new content will liven it up for me. As for Moxxi's arena, can it be solo'ed?
Old 10th February 2010, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Amused

Yeah I'm pretty sure. It would likely just scale to the number of players (1-4) in the arena.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 26th February 2010, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1270

Sneaky

When you co-op in Moxxi's arena, if you die then you are put into a penalty box while the rest of your team is still in the wave. From the penalty box you can fire down on the whole arena from way up high. This can be an advantage when your partners cant get the enemy but it can be a massive disadvantage when the weapon modifier is close combat only. This happens a lot and what it does is force you to get in very close to kill the enemy or hope for a very lucky shot. If you were soloing the arena then every time you die you will go backwards one wave. E.g. if you are fighting in round 17 wave 3 and you die then you are put back to round 16 wave 1. Each round probably takes 15-20 mins.
Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote