Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Advisor
Guru - Post: 11700
 Vulcan21's Avatar

Lurking
Default

Dynamic tessellation on DX11 games does look very nice, especially when it's in relation to anything cloth based like flags, clothes etc and it's nice to see water behave more lifelike when it ripples properly as you enter it.
I run duel ATI HD5850 cards in my rig and sadly the only game I have at the moment the uses DX11 is Colin McCrae's Dirt 2 game. Battlefield Bad Company 2 out very soon will support DX11, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out against the current DX10 beta.
__________________

“The Vulcan Neck Pinch is not half as powerful as the Vulcan Groin Kick, but it's more politically correct”
Vulcan21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd February 2010, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Leevers
Guest

Default

Vulcan you mention the game DiRT2. I must admit as far as DX11 games go, DiRT2 has definitely set a benchmark in high end gaming. The likes of BC2 and other DX11 I am yet to see come anywhere close in comparing in quality and all round fantastic performance. I only have the 1 ATI HD5870 and getting 80fps with everything maxed on DiRt2.

Where video cards are concerned, I won't be purchasing another Nvidia again as ATI has just blown any of my previous experiences I may of had with Nvidida. The future may tell another story, but for the time being I'm one happy bloke.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Leevers
Guest

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father View Post
I agree with this sentiment:

Nvidia Announces That It Is Announcing GF100 Details At PAX East - Voodoo Extreme

They did promise us news and the news turns out to be that news is coming.

Father an interesting Trailer here if you didn't get a chance to view it.

Nvidia GF100 Rocket Sled Trailer - Voodoo Extreme
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437
 Drac's Avatar

Yeehaw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevers View Post
Vulcan you mention the game DiRT2. I must admit as far as DX11 games go, DiRT2 has definitely set a benchmark in high end gaming.
As far as Dirt 2 goes, the game looks pretty much exactly the same in Direct X 9:

YouTube - Dirt 2 - DirectX 9 vs DirectX 11 Split Screen Benchmark

Like I said, developers are not likely to spend that much time developing for DX11 specific features when the two biggest platforms, the 360 and PS3, don't support the added features it provides. Up until about 6 months before the release of the 360 a lot of games were still built to DirectX 8 standards with a few DX9 bits tacked on for almost the same reason (like Half Life 2, NFS:MW ect) the only game that really pushed DX9 in 2005 was FEAR.
__________________
.
. . . .
.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25469
 Reoh's Avatar

Amused
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father View Post
I agree with this sentiment:

Nvidia Announces That It Is Announcing GF100 Details At PAX East - Voodoo Extreme

They did promise us news and the news turns out to be that news is coming.
Hahaha, that reminds me when sony made an announcement that they were going to make an announcement in a few weeks.
__________________

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 10:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Leevers
Guest

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
As far as Dirt 2 goes, the game looks pretty much exactly the same in Direct X 9:

YouTube - Dirt 2 - DirectX 9 vs DirectX 11 Split Screen Benchmark

Like I said, developers are not likely to spend that much time developing for DX11 specific features when the two biggest platforms, the 360 and PS3, don't support the added features it provides. Up until about 6 months before the release of the 360 a lot of games were still built to DirectX 8 standards with a few DX9 bits tacked on for almost the same reason (like Half Life 2, NFS:MW ect) the only game that really pushed DX9 in 2005 was FEAR.
I wouldn't even take into account consoles in my posts as I don't use them, but I have seen DiRT2 on console, and as I have it on PC it does look a lot better than console. I read somewhere that when comparing console to PC, you'd be looking at console gfx settings set to medium as opposed to PC's high.
Regardless of DX support on consoles, as for graphics and gameplay.... this is the most detailed and realistic game I've played to date, and I still think it's a benchmark.
The likes of BC2, and other DX11 games currently out, I'm yet to see anything that can blow me away as much as this game does, and I look forward to future releases where focus and time is spent on the finer details of a game.

Forcing DiRT2 in DX9, and then playing it in DX11, noticeable difference on PC.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +11. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0