TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th March 2010, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11359

Default [MW2] How I learned to stop worrying...

Check out this review on Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 by TOG Wytefang...

How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb PC Review | TOG - The Older Gamers

So.... now the game has been out for a while and most of the hype and emotions have mellowed... for those who have played it, tell us what you think...

? Thumbs UP or Thumbs Down ?

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th March 2010, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12251

Well - I just posted this up in the feedback section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8
I went into playing MW2 with a semi-open mind. COD4 was an almost pitch-perfect title for me. The single player side was the best solo-shooter experience I'd ever had. Just superb. The multi-player side lacked subtlety, and played too fast for my liking - just a lack of real strategy and tactical gameplay - but that's just my style.

MW2 disappointed on all fronts. In direct comparison with COD4, it's left wanting on most fronts. The single player side lacks all sophistication and flow, and is about as trashy as a sunday tabloid. The multi-player experience has left me scarred. With so many perks to speed people up, it's like everyone's on steroids. Once again it completely lacks any sense of tactical reasoning or intelligent strategy in play - it's all about speed and spam. A thorough disappointment - and this is after playing several days worth, coming first in many rounds and overall being quite successful - it still left me hating it.

It's one saving grace is the Spec Op's mode. Co-op is a massively underused tool in modern gaming, and it's great to see these few titles including an alternative to the FPS cannon. This is why I give the game one star.
The graphics are good, but no better than COD4 - the audio is the same, and the overall "feel" of the game leaves me feeling dirty. I have been completely disappointed in this game.

I can however, see why a lot of people would like and even love it. It rewards super-twitch gameplay, appeals to the ADHD sufferers out there, and is a hackers paradise. With no tools for kicking cheats or glitchers, you end up jumping from game to game looking for a group of honest players... Ha! Honest players on teh internets?? Good luck.

Overall I'm not surprised to see that this game grossed over a billion US dollars. The talk and publicity this game generated was astounding. It's well deserving of it's bad publicity, and has destroyed any hope (for me) that Infinity Ward might have some real talent.

Anyway - that's my scathing review. I've kept quiet up until now - so thanks for asking Ned Always good to get something like that off my chest!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 669

Cheeky

Despite the fact that I hate just about all the major game developers out there for putting profit ahead of what gamer's demand, I also realise that gamers, myself included, often build up insanely high expectations for upcoming games, especially if there is lots of hype around it. This is why I give every game a go regardless of what people say about it prior to release. IW dealt non-North American PC gamers a blow with the lack of dedicated servers, however I for one am grateful they came out and admitted it prior to release rather than surprise their paying customers.

Graphics were up to the standards for a typical modern game but audio has fallen behind many other recent shooters, especially in MP where you are somehow able to hear silenced shots go off from across the map.

The gameplay I find depended heavily on the map and gamemode. eg TDM, S&D are full of campers so players that like to run and gun will get frustrated very quickly, where as modes like Domination, HQ, CTF requires the run and gun style of gaming to win. It all came down to picking the right game mode to suit your style. Being a CoD series game, having fast reflexes does tend to help especially when combined with a sharp eye for spotting even the best hidden enemies.

Yes the lack of dedicated servers does make it rather difficult to stop cheaters, especially when combined with an anti-cheat system like VAC which aims to catch out as many cheaters and potential cheaters as possible rather than banning cheaters straight away. However, since P2P hasn't really been used much in PC games (atleast not in major titles), alot of the issues also come from players being ignorant of how to use it to it's fullest. Experience with XBOX Live has taught me that P2P truly shines when you are playing with people you know and live close to because there isnt a risk of cheaters amongst friends, and if you're all in the same city, the lag wouldnt be an issue either. It also helps if atleast one of those friends have a really fat bandwidth since hosting does tend to chew through quite a bit of it.

Yes I was disappointed with some aspects of the game, but for the most part, I enjoyed it.

^.^
Mysterio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio3 View Post

The gameplay I find depended heavily on the map and gamemode. eg TDM, S&D are full of campers so players that like to run and gun will get frustrated very quickly, where as modes like Domination, HQ, CTF requires the run and gun style of gaming to win. It all came down to picking the right game mode to suit your style. Being a CoD series game, having fast reflexes does tend to help especially when combined with a sharp eye for spotting even the best hidden enemies.
nicely said, i completely agree
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote