Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th May 2010, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Default sci-fi Call of Dutys plus more...

Activision registers sci-fi Call of Duty domains - News at GameSpot

So, future CoD titles may include..
Call of Duty: Future Warfare
Call of Duty: Space Warfare
Call of Duty: Secret Warfare
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

game on!
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th May 2010, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1384

Mellow

With the Modern Warfare banner title under threat from legal action, I'm guessing they're out to cover their bases somewhat.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

With all of the key IW staff jumping ship, does anyone really care what becomes of COD?

Medal of Honour went downhill fast when they all left to form Infinity Ward where they created COD. History repeating itself?

Treyarch haven't been that ambitious with their versions of the game, they've just copied IWs lead, but maybe this is what they need to strut their stuff.

However, I'm not sure how they're going to pull off the "future" angle, the changes form COD4 or WAW to MW2 were mostly about insane perks that turned people into futuristic like super-soldiers anyway, it's almost as reflex based as quake now. I find it difficult to see how they'd top that without making it even more of a speed-junkie spam-fest which is what I dislike most about the game in it's current state. Then again, maybe that's what people are looking for.

Last edited by Drac; 17th May 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

COD: Advanced Warfare or whatever would probably face scrutiny for being a near copy of tom clancy's game advance warfight...in title and most likely in gameplay.

I agreewith Drac in saying MW2 isnt about skill anymore its more about what perk you got and whos a better super soldier..i see the COD franchise becoming simply a game company without an original thought (can anyone else see COD future warfare being crysis crossed with quake while throwing in the classic COD's small maps.)
Old 17th May 2010, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

Yup, the perks are the "feature" of the new games, and they're what make it crap. The native speed of movement is completely unrealistic as it is, but to then add a couple of speed perks, it turns people into The Flash... COD was a good mix of playability and realism - now it's just (as mentioned above) a quake-style snap-shooter.

Anyway - I've been badly burnt with COD:WAW and COD:MW2 - both seriously underwhelming titles (and yes, I've given them both a fair chance) and pale in comparison to COD:MW. Even that could have done without helicopters, airstrikes and most of the perks - without them, it'd be a perfect shooter.

All of the other titles planned?? In the opinion of this soldier - a waste of time.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1384

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
With all of the key IW staff jumping ship, does anyone really care what becomes of COD?

Medal of Honour went downhill fast when they all left to form Infinity Ward where they created COD. History repeating itself?

Treyarch haven't been that ambitious with their versions of the game, they've just copied IWs lead, but maybe this is what they need to strut their stuff.

However, I'm not sure how they're going to pull off the "future" angle, the changes form COD4 or WAW to MW2 were mostly about insane perks that turned people into futuristic like super-soldiers anyway, it's almost as reflex based as quake now. I find it difficult to see how they'd top that without making it even more of a speed-junkie spam-fest which is what I dislike most about the game in it's current state. Then again, maybe that's what people are looking for.
I have to agree with you on some points, without IW (not what's left of it) COD is most likely dead, Treyarch has been completely uninspired, I felt their renditions of the COD line rated far poorer than IWs and I won't be bothering with the next release either.

I dissagree about the perks, side of things, but it is a much faster paced game than the battlefield series, which is why I prefer the game as I usually find myself dying in battlefiled because I've got bored waiting for something to happen, so am not really paying attention to the game. But all that's neither here nor there. COD is what it was because of IW, it's future is fairly unstable, I just see Activision trying to strengthen their hold on the name, which will be of little worth anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7664 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

had cod waw been released a 6-12months later I think the outcome may have been different. COD4 had not yet completed its run in my mind and was still yet to peak. WAW came out too early in terms of development and too early in terms of migrating players for the long term. it has actually matured as a game imo and I enjoy playing it but as I mainly enjoying playing with friends I'm mainly on COD4 and to a lesser extent MW2

its safe to say that cod and the bf series are chalk and cheese both have their place and following. and cod certainly is a fast dodgeball game these days. Which I like. I'll probably keep getting the cod games as they come out....as long as there's some toggers to play with
Old 18th May 2010, 04:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

I'm not saying there's anything bad about COD being a fast paced quake era style game. Lots of people really like that, but it wasn't always as such and the changes since COD4 are splitting some hairs. A lot of gamers really enjoy that fast "I'm a killing machine" game while others want something more tactical or team based. Neither side is right or wrong in what they want, but at the same time no game is going to satisfy both types of gamers.

Plenty of gamers in the industry to support multiple games though. Yet I also like Jane's statement about WAW being released too soon, Multiplayer games and communities are a strange thing. I don't think developers have been thinking all that much about communities beyond basic accessibility, and even then this often feels like an afterthought. It's probably something EA & Activision should be looking into a lot more though after their recent screw ups over-saturating the music game genre. It almost seems as if big publishers are trying to turn game franchises into some form of serialized program with new episodes being churned out on a regular basis to keep consumers interested yet they don't quite know how to pace it all correctly due to the inherit nature of games being standalone products.

Last edited by Drac; 18th May 2010 at 04:12 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
It almost seems as if big publishers are trying to turn game franchises into some form of serialized program with new episodes being churned out on a regular basis to keep consumers interested yet they don't quite know how to pace it all correctly due to the inherit nature of games being standalone products.
Thats what I have been thinking recently yeah
Old 18th May 2010, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

Problem being that the benchmark was set with The Sims - the highest selling game (ever?). There were very regular updates/expansions that pretty well all sold extremely well. For years the top selling games list was dominated, not by just one Sims game - but by multiple expansion packs. When an exec sees those sales figures over that many years, it's next to impossible for them to resist seeking the same levels of prosperity.

We've also got the head honcho of Activision stating publicly last year that they're out to milk gamers for all they can...

So we'll see rushed releases - we'll see duplicates piling up. What we wont likely see are well crafted titles that draw gaming communities in. Sad, but true.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote