Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th August 2010, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Default ARMA 2, flying with what?

For the ARMA 2 players.. does anyone here fly using a keyboard? If you don't what do you use?

I've completed all of the ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Boot Camp tasks except E10: Attack Helicopter. I found control via a keyboard just didn't work for me and assumed a controller was the only way to go.. am I correct in thinking this?

I did manage to complete E09: Helicopter Basics but it was a painful experience lol.

So, who uses what to fly?
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th August 2010, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11120

I was able to fly the chopper somewhat OK using my Saitek Joystick. I certainly wouldn't want to fly with a KB.

The plane though I found impossible to fly and haven't gone back to it. I kinda hope that the campaign doesn't force me to fly planes.
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1366

Goofy

Ned

A cheap twist joystick would be my pick, make sure its got enough buttons on it. Check in game controls for helos & planes to see what you require.

I have a CH setup with stick, pedals & throttle which i use for IL2. Hell a lot more expensive & not required for Arma 2.

I recommend getting a controller for flying hands down, did the same when i played BF2 never looked back & felt more natural, for me anyway.

Dont forget you can select the scenario for US & fly anything you want. the A10 takes some getting used to
Old 5th August 2010, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback guys! I have a Logitech Dual Action USB Gamepad here so I decided to see how it would work with this game.

Turns out after some experimenting it works very well. I managed to complete the E10: Attack Helicopter Boot Camp mission without too much drama.. I did have to do some fly-arounds to realign myself for a few loops but I think that was more due to inexperience and noobness rather than a poor choice of controller and setup.

I've only flown in Boot Camp though, will let you know how it goes elsewhere.

Here's how I set it up..
(with y and z axis sensitivities halved ingame)

(I've wanted to experiment with a program called Snagit for a while now so I made this cart. Very nice program btw!)

From another thread..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8 View Post
I have had some buggy issues with the advanced attack helo mission - my "gunner" refuses to attack all of the targets - so I can't progress to the next objective...
I too found this. I later learnt that you have to tell your gunner to Fire. If you have either the HYDRA 70 Rockets or the M230 Cannons you can't actually fire these yourself and your gunner will only do so AFTER you allow him to by using the Fire button to toggle between Fire/Cease_fire. You can only directly fire the ASM-114 HELFIRE Missiles. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Ned; 5th August 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 5th August 2010, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12264

Nah mate - doesn't help

Got him to take out the tanks with the Hydra's ok - then 5 of the 6 cars.... then he'd just stop shooting. Tried all sorts of ranges - near, far, high and low - open fire, cease fire... everything I could think of - several times over.

If I can ask - what comes after that? Is it just return to base and land? Or do they go into more detail?
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1366

Goofy

Got a dodge a AA missile (flares) & that's it
Old 5th August 2010, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

After weapons the mission goes into using your Flares for evading attack.
I think "R" is the default key. Then that's it completed.

edit: beat me by 1 minute!
Old 5th August 2010, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12264

Cheers!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18205

Breezy

I fly with keyboard/mouse but

a) because I have to
b) never in a combat situation

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote