Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th June 2011, 06:31 AM   #61 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6640

Grumpy

Overhyped and overrated 12+ years ago probably even more overhyped this time round and worse.

Some things should just be left in the past.

Old 16th June 2011, 09:57 AM   #62 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

I've only read one or two reviews, and they seem to be missing the critical point here. This is not a new game. This IS a juvenile game from the mid-nineties!! One reviewer even mentioned that "if you remove the game from it's legacy..." WTF??? This game is ONLY a product of it's legacy!!!

Critics will criticise, and I'm not going to stand up and say the game is great - but it is what it is - an old and uninspired game that was delayed delayed delayed because it couldn't stand up to it's competition of the day. It wouldn't have survived then, why should it now.

But I still like it!! It's juvenile and crappy fun! The multiplayer is a hoot, the action is crazy-over-the-top and it's been crippled by a number of stupid console-driven implementations... But I am the target audience. I wanted to play DNF in the nineties, and I still want to play it now. I know what I'm getting into whenever I load it up - and I'm not disappointed
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 11:47 PM   #63 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

A great write-up that sums up the game experience perfectly for me - and it's all PC baby:

Quote:
Duke Nukem Forever definitely looks like a game from 2007 and can't match the visuals of modern shooters. Single player is fairly short and multiplayer is mostly a tickbox feature, yet Duke Nukem Forever manages to capture some of the magic of the original and has that spark that seems to be missing from most games these days - it may be rude, shocking and decisively old school, but I had fun!
Whole article can be found over at YouGamers - Reviews - Duke Nukem Forever Review
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:24 PM   #64 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

I was very upset with the game when I first loaded it up. Dated graphics, kind of woeful enemy AI and on rails corridor shooting. After a bit more play, and some harkening back to the days of yore, where men were men and FPS's were partial 3D, I had an epiphany! I finally realised this game was nothing more than a salute to Dukey's roots, and should be taken as nothing more than that.

The problem here is that Duke 3D is a 15 year old game, and was totally different to the types of FPS games played now. It feels like the game was meant to be a run and gun shooter, but has been updated at the last minute to offer the more common tactical approach instead. Duke becomes this weak sauce character that can sustain critical level damage from one shotgun blast, rather than the tough as nails character I remember from 1996.

Another downside is the overly clunky controls for secondary items, and the choice of only 2 primary weapons. This also seems like another last minute decision to make the game more "Modern". Duke is a muscle man, and should be overloaded with all sorts of guns, not two weapons at a time! This caused excessive amounts of annoyance for me, as I was constantly having to drop gun Y, to pick up gun X, to shoot at enemy Z. Also pipe bombs and the such. Holy Hell! I was constantly having to mash number keys in a vain attempt throw a bloody pipe bomb! I would then drop a trip mine, Holoduke or crack a can of beer instead... ARGGGGHHH!

In conclusion, the game did not live up to my expectations. Which is quite ironic, because I have been quoted as saying this numerous times in the past 10 years or so. The game is still worth your time to play, just don't expect to be overwhelmed by it.
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:05 PM   #65 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Yeah it's a damn shame it was "consolized" so badly. There's just no excuse for not taking advantage of the PC's greatest strength - the keyboard.

Not that they'll listen, but I think I'll send a constructively worded email to Gearbox. They did the same with Borderlands, and will likely continue to do so with all of their future releases.

Surely it can't be a difficult thing to "mod" the game for proper PC use. Get rid of the "press any key" and two weapon limitation... and use proper key-bindings out of the box!!

I find it pitiful that the developers of Deus Ex: Human Revolution need to actively promote as a feature, their use of keyboard input!! Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY grateful they're doing it - but it should be the standard, rather than an unexpected feature...

Still - I had fun with Duke
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:27 PM   #66 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 355

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8 View Post
Yeah it's a damn shame it was "consolized" so badly. There's just no excuse for not taking advantage of the PC's greatest strength - the keyboard.

Not that they'll listen, but I think I'll send a constructively worded email to Gearbox. They did the same with Borderlands, and will likely continue to do so with all of their future releases.

Surely it can't be a difficult thing to "mod" the game for proper PC use. Get rid of the "press any key" and two weapon limitation... and use proper key-bindings out of the box!!

I find it pitiful that the developers of Deus Ex: Human Revolution need to actively promote as a feature, their use of keyboard input!! Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY grateful they're doing it - but it should be the standard, rather than an unexpected feature...

Still - I had fun with Duke
I agree Spectre8. It's not like they have to re-design the game to have a usable keyboard layout and something more than "[space]" to load. We now live in an age of sloppy porting from even respected developers. PC versions are not as commonly bought as console variants, but it would be nice for them to at least spend a tiny bit of effort on the more noticeable little things.
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:53 PM   #67 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9873 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

The one thing that really bugged me was the fact that pipe bombs and trip mines could not be equipped in your hand before throwing them. Like Harry, I was constantly pressing the wrong bloody keys and throwing the wrong thing.

Surely you can have it so that you equip what you want, so you can physically see it in your hands before throwing it.

Example: Pipe bomb - 2 to equip, with left mouse to throw, and right mouse to detonate?

Sig created by Juganort
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote