Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th October 2010, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused
Cool Warhammer 40000 - Space Marine

Genre: Action RPG
Developer: Runic Games
Release Date: TBA (expected Summer, 2011)

Quote:
Warhammer® 40,000™: Space Marine® takes console gamers into a savage universe where humanity fights for survival against horrific alien and daemonic forces. The player becomes the ultimate defender of humanity – a mighty Space Marine – sent to stop the brutal Ork invasion of a vital Forge World. As the barbaric Orks rip the planet apart, it’s up to you and your battle-hardened squad of Space Marines to cut a bloody path through the Ork horde and discover what they’re so eager to find.
Yes this is isn't the console division, but... this game is going on sale via Steam. Steam does not sell console games so I believe that the exclusivity implied by the line quoted above is erroneous.

I'm a little surprised that nobody has been talking about this game at all. I know that I've been really eager. It looks gorgeous and the game-play footage is right up their with the cinematic quality, only with fifty kinds of kick-ass awesome sewn in for good measure.

From what I can tell, this is a third-person viewed, probably 4-player co-op style game. It features both ranged and melee combat (chainswords? Awesome!). Check it out for yourself though, bunch of youtube links are listed below in HD quality. I didn't embed them all though because there were so many! Also there's a lot of actual game-play footage down in the clips below too, not just cinematic stuff.

So who else is interested?!

Trailers...
Release - E3 2010 -

Previews...

IGN - Video Gamer -

Interviews...
Gamespot - Gamepro -

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th October 2010, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Dangerous - Post: 700

Cheerful

Me!!! I very keen on this! I though it was just a straight up shooter... But an action rpg?? Awesome!!! Can't wait!!!'
Old 9th October 2010, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Amused

Yeah from the sounds of it, as you're playing through your affinity with the weapons you're using grows. Not sure if thats just a flat increase or a talent tree type system. In one of the interviews they also spoke about the customization of characters to your play style, your choice of weapons and equipment etc.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 9th October 2010, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Dangerous - Post: 700

Cheerful

And what about multiplayer? Any word on that? Class system at all?

Always wanted to play as an alechemist!! Pew pew!
Old 9th October 2010, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2627

Goofy

That could be great fun - have to keep an eye on this
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1458

Happy

I will be getting this for sure ... ah man its testing my memory but what was that one they had on PS1 I think?

Had mates that got into the table top ... I played a little here and there not to hardcore but as far as story and history these guys are the most bad ass finally a game that looks to represent that intensity!

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Interesting. I remember seeing this one a year or so ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjuNl20Huc

But it was scrapped. Not sure who was developing it.

Also not sure about Relic doing an action RPG type game. Very keen to see how it develops though, there hasn't been a 40K game that's focused on the lore of a single faction at this live since 1993's Space Hulk, and that was mostly just a shell of a game but I still loved it because it was the closest match to the tabletop experience (The RTS games just didn't feel right) and I got to kill genestalkers. I know it was based on the board game of the same name, but the board game was meant to be a "lite and casual" version of 40K proper.

Although I'm still also waiting on that Necromunda Strategy RPG, I think Games Workshop are mad letting that IP go unused.

Last edited by Drac; 9th October 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Amused

In an interview they didn't specifically confirm multiplayer, but the interviewee did go on for about 30 seconds about how perfect the game is for multiplayer and that they were looking into the options for which way they wanted to go.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 10th October 2010, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1434

Yep, been watching this for a while.

Ultramarines, for courage and honour!
Yvnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Ultramarines are silly. They have the word marine in their chapter name, so they're Ultramarine Marines!

Also, Ultramarines are eaten by Space Wolves.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote