Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th November 2010, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7347

Paranoid
Default [MOH] It just isn't clicking.

7 people online on servers as of 30 minutes ago. Was on a map where someone was just spamming rockets into an open alcove that I kept spawning in at least half a dozen times. Once I was given a spawn point outside of that, I spawned underneath a mortar strike.

Probably the worst netcode I've experienced in years. Please please please let Black Ops be an improvement. Even peer to peer MW2 gave me more joy than this.

Rant over after finishing a round with 1/17 which was a nade kill that I dropped while being killed as my guns weren't registering any hits as he went for the knife.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th November 2010, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7680 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purg View Post
Rant over after finishing a round with 1/17 which was a nade kill that I dropped while being killed as my guns weren't registering any hits as he went for the knife.
lol

i've decided this is my rage game...i get on skype with dad and we just complain to each other about whats not going right and how no ones pushing forward hahaha

i'm enjoying the change tho
Old 8th November 2010, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1212

Pensive

Last run tonight for laughs then eh?
Old 8th November 2010, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Paranoid

Most likely.. I don't know if I can get that motivated though. I even played a few rounds of WaW I was that desperate to shoot something and have it actually die.
Old 8th November 2010, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 21535

Shocked

I am not holding out much hope for black ops either ... I have my pre order still but not sure whether to follow through with purchase .. the past and current stable of games all from EA are all very similar in their code MW , MW2 , BFBC2 , MOH and after buying all of them i do not want to find yet another hack ridden , over powered , camp fest game when i buy Black Ops ...

As much as i like a modern era FPS... I will wait till Xmas or after and see what the state of play really is with the new one ...

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money
Binary-Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

Sounds like ya'll just need to find another type of shooter for a while. If you crave teamwork I highly recommend Left 4 Dead 2!

Not that I'm bias or anything, hehe.

Seriously though, the trend with these shooters (Modern Warfare, MOH ect) seems to focus on selfish "you're superman" rewards. All the perks, rewards, stats ect it's all very self centred, even the in game rewards/kill-streaks is totally selfish "lone killa" gameplay design. The designers aren't focusing on supporting team based gameplay mechanics in the slightest.

If you're playing these kind of games for the team based gameplay then I can't help but think you're not the intended audience. Black Ops seems to be pushing further down this very selfish game design path with personal contracts and XP ect with almost nothing new added to the game to support or encourage any kind of team orientated play. This is probably going to get me some haters but I honestly believe these are not team multiplayer games. Trying to play them as such will just cause endless frustration.

Try playing something like L4D, even in pub servers where you have 1 or 2 mates on your team and you'll soon see how team focused shooters can be. If "teamplay" is really your thing, L4D 1/2, TF2/DOD, BC2 and Brink should be on your radar - leave the selfish Quake/CS/CODs to the egotists they're deliberately targeted at.

My 0.2c

Last edited by Drac; 8th November 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 21535

Shocked

am open for it but just been stung by EA too many times and don't want to fork out more $$$ for another one of their games if they turn out to be like the previous titles

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money
Binary-Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Paranoid

Team oriented play comes in organised scriming. Though, looking back on our own COD4 servers when I used to play (before I had issues with pb), it was highly team oriented - even if you could hear the plotting from the other team since we all used the same TS channel.

Played all those games (well, except L4D2 - though I do have 1 and Brink) and unfortunately they all lacked the community I enjoyed in COD4. My rant was more focused on this MOH since my ammo seems to consist of soggy peas while my body armor causes bullets to take 90 degree turns around corners to take me down. :\
Old 9th November 2010, 03:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purg View Post
Team oriented play comes in organised scriming.
Arr, you've cut your FPS teeth in the COD of BF divisions I see. That's the way most of them seem to see things. I've always found that odd, other divisions don't seem to have such clear cut playstyles or have serious ladder/scrim teams because they maintain a certain level of teamplay in their day to day sessions. Then again, other divisions are usually a lot smaller.

It's interesting how different types of games lend themselves to attracting different types of people/playstyles which makes for a different dynamic within TOGs divisions. Still, I've always had a lot of difficulty enjoying the way TOGs COD and BF divisions do things. Although I think a large part of that is a symptom of the division size. I'm not good in large crowds - more of a poker table kind of guy. Any more than that and I have trouble remembering how to beat everyone
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 429

Fine

The games been a lot better now it's been patched.

If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.
flexx is offline   Reply With Quote