Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th January 2011, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1241

Lurking

Never played FFOW. What were some of things that sucked? Cause I was going to buy this but if you're saying that it may go down the same way as FFOW I'll hold out till I see what other people are saying about it.

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage
, rage against the dying of the light.
Rage032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th January 2011, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12256

FFOW was, without question one of the worst FPS releases in the last 10 years. What really sucked about it, is the potential there. For those who aren't familiar with Desert Combat - it was a mod for Battlefield 1942 that was, in all reality a better game than the original. It was absolutely brilliant. The team who created DC went on to work with DICE on Battlefield 2, and then went on to form KAOS Studios - their first title being Frontlines: Fuel of War.

It suffered massively from the get-go, predominantly due to it being made for PS3, Xbox360 & PC. Nearing release, they dropped the PS3 side, and kept it going with Xbox and PC. There was an open beta on PC, and the problems were there right away. It was made using the Unreal engine, and while it's a robust piece of work, they somehow managed to break it.

Movement was slow and unresponsive, clipping errors resulted in you getting stuck on terrain and you'd very often find yourself behind invisible walls that you couldn't shoot through - but could of course be shot at.

Weapons were ok, and there there was the "selling point" with remote drone robot things. Each class had their own robot-tool thing, and were fairly widely used. Remote helicopters with guns/missiles, remote tracked tank things with guns/mortars and other items like sensor pods and ECM towers - while great ideas, these generally took your focus out of the battle, and into playing with your toys. And of course once in control of a remote vehicle, you were unable to see or hear your surrounds, and so avoid seeing that knife coming for you.

But that was the game-play. Lots of toys killing you from behind, lots of people using their toys, so therefore not advancing on their goal - and of course stat-padding. There was the whole "frontline" thing that Homefront will use, and again, good in theory, but just failed to work well.

And then there were the logistic issues.

There was no PC support upon release. None. It was released, and it didn't work. The server browser was utterly broken, to the point where it couldn't find anything - no dedicated servers - no joystick support (and there was a heavy focus on helicopters and fighter planes) - no key re-mapping tool - and no patch for weeks and weeks.

People were able to get servers running, and connect via IP was working, sometimes. Once in a multi-player game, there was the ability to form squads, but most of the squad functions were busted, there was no character limit on names, so people would spawn in with a name taking up the entire screen... there wasn't a shortage of real issues with the game - if you were "lucky" enough to get into it in the first place.

The first patch (released weeks later) broke the browser enough to let it find some servers, but it was still stuffed. They fixed some of the issues, but the damage had been done. It was killed on PC within it's first week.

The problems were caused by it being a console game first, PC second. And it probably did pretty well on Xbox. There was a lot of support and patches right on release, and even dedicated servers. From memory, there were six Xbox patches released before PC got its first. Just appalling.

So that's the bad. There were some good ideas in use there. Electro-pulse missiles that could knock a jet or helo out of the sky by killing it's engines and controls was a but plus from me - but all the good ideas used, were implemented poorly, and without any follow-up.

To be fair, I feel that KAOS had a huge amount of pressure from the publishers THQ, and were probably told to release it early, and focus on the Xbox platform exclusively.

THQ are the producers of Homefront too. I can't see how it'll play out any different this time around. But I wish them the very best of luck
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6077

Lurking

Beavis still sitting in the corner crying with the 3 copies of FFoW that he bought for his family of gamers
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 01:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1680

Cynical

Yep FFOW sucked big time. This will be a wait and see for me.

TBH Brink looks more interesting and more plausible then North Korea taking over the world.
recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1241

Lurking

Holy crap. With any luck they learn from their previous mistakes though.

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage
, rage against the dying of the light.
Rage032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 08:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11362

With FFOW I smelt FAIL when they released a multiplayer demo without dedicated server support
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7630 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage032 View Post
Holy crap. With any luck they learn from their previous mistakes though.
Treyarch did not seem to with the PC release of Black ops having many of the same issues as COD WaW (and then some) even tho WaW was released 2 years before...will be interesting to see if its a general industry wide approach to PC games not to learn from your mistakes
Old 19th January 2011, 12:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7434

Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ777 View Post
Treyarch did not seem to with the PC release of Black ops having many of the same issues as COD WaW (and then some) even tho WaW was released 2 years before...will be interesting to see if its a general industry wide approach to PC games not to learn from your mistakes
Yet both games sold ridiculously well. If that's failure than I wonder what success looks like.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 05:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Yet both games sold ridiculously well. If that's failure than I wonder what success looks like.
I blame all those toggers who preordered FFOW!

I got it on steam for $5 and I still feel ripped off.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 05:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12256

Yeah I saw it for sale one day for $1.50 or something ridiculous like that - and still wouldn't recommend it to anyone
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote