The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Shooter Games: The Range (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/)
-   -   How long should a fps story be? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/354491-how-long-should-fps-story.html)

Player One 31st March 2011 08:50 PM

How long should a fps story be?

I was reading an article about this. After Homefront alot of people complained about the shortness of the campaign, me being one of them. Hopefully theyll bring out some dlc to extend it a little. Im not really a fan of the whole episodic/dlc campaign thing theyve got going over the past few years. If your going to make a game make the whole game, dont make a bit of it release it then a few months later release a bit more. Outta the games ive played recently theres been nothing thats been amazing, homefront yeah it was quite good but wasnt great, bulletstorm, the gameplay was pretty cool, good old fashion trigger happy gun fights, the story it was pretty good, I've not played a game that hasnt had a but for awhile, you know its good but..... Games are to short these days and rely far to much on multiplayer keeping them going.

Ned 31st March 2011 09:35 PM

A good 6-10 hours and I'm happy.. an added bonus is coop :)

Binary-Ninja 31st March 2011 09:35 PM

In SP campaigns Crysis and Crysis 2 have been the standouts over the last few years , yes they are getting shorter but if a good MP most wont care on a short SP .. the thing is lately the SP has been short and the MP pretty ordinary except as said Crysis 2 this one has stood out so far in a long time in both but probably about 6 - 8 hrs for a SP ...

Rage032 31st March 2011 10:57 PM

I think 8 - 12 hours. However from now on I'm only going to be getting FPS on my computer if I plan to play them online. Stuff like Killzone and Bulletstorm (which are good games) I probably won't be buying anymore, mainly because I play through the single player once and then never touch them again. I'm probably just going to hire those games, cause I can finish it in a day.

Player One 31st March 2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binary-Ninja (Post 3095541)
In SP campaigns Crysis and Crysis 2 have been the standouts over the last few years , yes they are getting shorter but if a good MP most wont care on a short SP .. the thing is lately the SP has been short and the MP pretty ordinary except as said Crysis 2 this one has stood out so far in a long time in both but probably about 6 - 8 hrs for a SP ...

I disagree with the if its a good mp a short sp wont matter to most, there are plenty people out there that still buy fps for the sp rather than mp. Also im gonna get my flamesheild out for this, I'm not a fan of crysis *runs and hides*. But yeah I just couldnt get that into it. I think its far to over hyped to be frank.

Binary-Ninja 1st April 2011 12:27 AM

run P1 run ...:) Their probably are people who do buy for SP but if that is the case are they wasting some serious dollars ? because the quality of the SP experience has certainly fallen away it is all about the MP ... I was in two minds over Homefront and after the last few games MW , MW2 , BFBC2 , Black Ops all so similar apart from the dedicated server fiasco of MW2 ... I spent quiet a few dollars on games and was disappointed with either SP or MP so didn't want to shell out more $$ for another clone type game without any teamwork or good MP or SP experience ...

I put so so many hours into BF2 and came no where near in any of the other urban war type games ... Out of the COD titles Black ops is the better one i think better but maybe they have learned over the last few.. ...

But in FPS Crysis 2 is the best so far graphically , gameplay , different style original .... Crysis set the benchmark for modern graphics but that games MP was so bad i still cringe yet it's SP was the best in its day and since nothing really has beaten it maybe Crysis 2 is the same as the reviews are showing with 8's and 9's ...

Rage032 2nd April 2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binary-Ninja (Post 3095709)
Crysis set the benchmark for modern graphics but that games MP was so bad i still cringe yet it's SP was the best in its day and since nothing really has beaten it maybe Crysis 2 is the same as the reviews are showing with 8's and 9's ...

I never played the MP for the the first Crysis, but I think you're right about the SP. It was an epic game. I played it through quite a few times.

I still buy FPS games for the SP first, MP second. Why? Two reasons. Firstly, I already own games that I love playing MP, and why would I want to get others? For something different maybe? (Hence why Crysis 2 won me over, apart from the graphics, unique gameplay and overall awesomeness). Secondly, the community. I will never go into paying $50 - $120 for a game just for MP because you never know how big the community is going to be, how many games you'll have to choose from, how much lag you get, all that stuff. There are too many unknowns (not that there isn't in a SP game either, but if you buy a game for SP and MP you're going to get more bang for your buck). Then after all that.... the game may just suck.

Binary-Ninja 2nd April 2011 11:38 AM

I think out of all the games over the last few years ... Crysis 2 would probably be the one that has both a good SP and a good MP to it ... The SP could of been longer but all the other game out before it were around same length and they never had both going for it ...

I am happy to buy a game just for a good multiplayer experience but their have been a few lately that have just fizzled and then you look at the SP and that is pretty ordinary as well .. MOH also had a good SP even though short and similar to other modern war type titles but i really liked it ... MP was also good but the hacker ruined it and the patch support was so late.. Crysis 2 patched some hacks within a week ..

The games say cost $100 these days and you have to make sure you get the value from them...

Rage032 2nd April 2011 02:10 PM

OMG.... MOH. I actually thought the SP was weak, however I LOVED the MP. I think for me it was the sound. Going from SP to MP there was a huge difference. You felt like you were holding the worlds biggest guns, yet your firing your pistol. There wasn't enough maps though. Least I remember going to the same 3 all the time. I've said this before about Crysis 2 MP, but MOH also has the feel of COD:MW1 (which is probably the MP game I've played the most).

You're very correct though. If you're paying $100 for a game, the SP and MP better not suck the giant ones. Anything I'm not too sure about now, im just going to hire out on my PS3 or Xbox.