Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd June 2011, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
DK1
Mostly Harmless - Post: 74

Default Duke Nukem Forever *Demo*

Check your email or just sign back into http://www.dukenukemforever.com/access/
(email points you there anyway). You will need to re-enter your email address and your First Access club code again, once in you should get to your profile page and your steam key (if that was your platform of choice). I had to refresh the page to get it as first time around it wasn't available. Download weighs in at 1.7gb. Right now download speeds are really good, probably change once everyone gets back from work.

Chuck the code in steam and your gold baby yeah !
DK1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd June 2011, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 962

Demo was mediocre at best, I wish they had a multiplayer demo in it as that is where duke 3d was at its best.

Guess we have been spoilt for games over the years and waiting for so long on the hype we have been feed. I am not whether still to preorder it or not!

Last edited by spiritwalker; 3rd June 2011 at 06:34 PM.
spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9841 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

Downloading the demo right now.

Sig created by Juganort
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Demo was mediocre at best,
Personally I think that's being very generous.

Wasn't really any aspect of the visuals, interaction, movement or feel of the guns that appealed. I don't know whether it was by design or not, but it feels like what I'd expect DN3D to feel like if I went back and played it now. That's not what I expect for an outlay of $70. If you've already pre-ordered on the basis of nostalgia, I'd recommend you give the demo a try in case you want to reconsider your pre-order.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 05:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9841 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

Personally, I wasn't expecting cutting edge realism like today's games.
I went into this, knowing that it is meant to be a "tongue in cheek" fun game much like Duke Nukem 3D was.
I don't think it is meant to be designed as a serious FPS. This is a game that thumbs it's nose at today's expectations and standards in a good FPS.

If you are looking for some serious hardcore, "edge of your seat" action with a fully destructible environment, then this is not the game for you.

If you wish to go back to those early years of gaming where it was just a whole lot of fun blowing the crap out of aliens with "over the top" weapons and corny one liners that have you giggling at the toilet humour, then you will love this game. I mean, how many games can you name where drinking beer gives you "super human" speed and strength? How many games allow you to take a leak in the urinals, and pick up your own faeces and toss it against the wall? Over the top , and potentially offensive? Yes. Welcome to the world of Duke Nukem.

This is what makes it so different to what is out there. It is so over the top with "dad jokes", toilet humour, and sexist remarks, how can you take it seriously. This is what made us fall in love with the old Duke Nukem game.

Yes the single player demo is short. But it gives you a great insight into the various weapons and gadgets available to you. The single player is pretty much like the original, in the way that you follow a set path with the occasional roadblock for you to work around. There are a crap load of different aliens being thrown in your path, and you need to kill them all to save the world. The fun in killing the aliens depends entirely on how creative you want to get. How do you want to kill the next alien? Shall I shrink him and squash him like a bug? Shall I wound him with the pistol and finish him off with a kill manoeuvre that will remove his head? Shall I just blow him away with a rocket?
The story may be pretty straight forward, and the maps may be linear. But the game's attitude and abrasiveness with toilet humour, is what sets it apart from your standard FPS game. It is the Duke of old, and that is the way it should be in my opinion. It brings back the "fun factor" in FPS.

Throw in the multiplayer aspect, with the potential to frag your mates in so many humiliating ways, and you have a potential hit amongst your friends. If the multiplayer is anything like DN3D, then this is going to be a whole bag of laughs. So much variety and corniness, how can you not laugh while squashing your mates like a bug after you have shrunk them, or freezing them, and making them shatter into a thousand pieces?

You don't need cutting edge graphics or complicated controls to achieve that sort of fun. I think some people's expectations may be too high for this game, and will therefore be put off.

Without playing the full version with multiplayer mode, I am keeping an open mind. I think this game was designed for maximum fragging, and a barrel of laughs. It is a simple formula I know. It worked back then, so why wouldn't it work now? I am glad they stuck with the same feel and vibe from the last version of Duke Nukem all those years ago.

Sig created by Juganort

Last edited by maddog2204; 4th June 2011 at 05:45 AM.
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5238

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2204 View Post
It worked back then, so why wouldn't it work now?
Because in a maturing/matured industry we expect more than a "Look what I can make a computer do!" approach to game development that was perfectly acceptable 15 years ago.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4482

Cheerful

I'm glad I didn't preorder. I'd be busy trying to cancel it now. Come to think of it, this is exactly the kind of game that shows why I don't preorder.

Its not quite up there with "The Phantom Menace" when it comes to violently violating your cherished memories, but it certainly doesn't show much in the way of growth over the years.

I'd say do yourself a favour and buy the original off GOG.
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3467

Relaxed

The demo was pretty bad, might pick this up cheap in a steam sale later on.

Rob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12259

I like it

Agree 100% with Maddog on everything he said. My only grip is it still has the bullshit "Press any key to start" - but we get that with just about every cross-platform title these days.

And in Duke's defense, he complains if you make him pickup the turds He has some taste after all
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote