Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th September 2011, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused
Default Warco

The only thing you'll be shooting in this FPS is a camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Lien
It looks like a military shooter, but it isnít. Thereís a first-person view, youíre caught up in conflict, wounded soldiers and civilians lie amongst the rubble begging for help, and youíre surrounded by the sound of showering bullets and military units. At a glance, Warco could be mistaken for any other first-person shooter set in any other war zone, but it isnít. In fact, it is the opposite. You never fire a weapon, not even once.

Developed by Defiant Development, a studio made up entirely of former Pandemic employees, the team has not only been able to live up to its name by establishing a new studio after the collapse of Pandemic, they are now challenging what we know about war games and genres through Warco. Is it a first-person shooter? No. Is it a war emulator? Not quite. Itís none of the above because itís so much more.
Source @ Kotaku

That's an interesting concept although I'm wondering how they'll "score it" for game mechanics. I've often thought that FPS war games don't really deal with the issues of war per se., they're really just an action game that dissassociates from a lot of the issues that surround wars, or if they give a nod to them they're not really an integral part of the game so much as a brief feature in some level. So that makes me curious to see how this turns out.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th September 2011, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7216

Paranoid

Not sure who their target audience will be..? If it's traditional FPS'ers then I think it would lack enough action by the character to interest them (well, at least interest me). The concept seems fresh if it packages your footage with a news story but the fundamentals seem to be an FPS with a gun that has no bullets.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purg View Post
Not sure who their target audience will be..? If it's traditional FPS'ers then I think it would lack enough action by the character to interest them (well, at least interest me). The concept seems fresh if it packages your footage with a news story but the fundamentals seem to be an FPS with a gun that has no bullets.
Yeah I was thinking that too. I mean, If it were an option in a more traditional fps sense then it'd be adding something new but players could do so in their normal way too. That'd probably make more economic sense. Like the pacifism 'cheevo in DX:HR. But if it really is purely non-combat then the market would be harder to break even on I'd expect.

Still I'm hoping they do somehow get this out because it would be something very unique in the whole "gaming portfolio" which would be an excellent example of breaking the mold with how non-gamers view the media.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 18th September 2011, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18201

Breezy

Interesting. Please continue to post if/as this develops.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Interesting. Please continue to post if/as this develops.
What me post?!

(lols)

We need you, Citizen!
Old 24th September 2011, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

New game sends 'dangerous message' to journos - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Old 24th September 2011, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Amused

That second section was a bit misslabeled. The title implies that it glamorises war whereas the correspondant is actually saying it does so less than your average war-orientated game.

Honestly i'm surprised at the negativity about this game in contrast to its unique take that pulls the gamer out of direct conflict and instead focuses on the story of what is happening around them. The effects of war for better or worse.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 24th September 2011, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

I agree with you Reoh. Give a avatar a gun and no one even notices. Replace it with a camera and everyone goes "OH NOES!". Of course, the extra attention will never harm sales.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Old 24th September 2011, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I agree with you Reoh. Give a avatar a gun and no one even notices. Replace it with a camera and everyone goes "OH NOES!". Of course, the extra attention will never harm sales.
No press is bad press!

Reminds me of that old comedy "Married with Children" which was marked out by some rich guy's bored housewife for a major letter writing compaign to try and take it off the air. All she succeeded in doing was getting it in the press and make sure everybody turned it on to find out what all the fuss was about (it was the first TV show that didn't have a leave-it-to-beaver style family model).

Funnily enough, the cast'n'crew used to send her a big fruit basket as a thankyou every christmas. hahaha.

We need you, Citizen!