Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd October 2011, 05:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

A'right, here's a couple of things to think about...

NS is a game of asymetric warfare. Different strategies and tactics apply to each race.

The first thing to realise is that Aliens are predominately melee attack and marines are predominately ranged attack. Consequently, aliens prefer to engage in confined spaces, corridors and the like whereas marines gain the advantage aiming down long corridors and guarding choke points.

Knowing that is easy, but applying it is hard. As a marine, say you're guarding the top entry point to Data Core. You see a gorge pop his head around the corner. You get some shots into him and you think you can kill him with just a few more shots. You may even think "I'll get a clear shot at him as he runs down the ramp to Reactor". So you chase after him only to be chomped by a skulk as soon as you get to the corner. What happened was you moved from an area where you had the tactical advantage to an area where the aliens had a tactical advantage. Now there's nobody guarding DC and the aliens can move in.

The second point is that the alien team enjoys a mobility advantage. Skulks move faster than marines, can make use of vents to safely and quickly transit between areas of the map and later the leap attack can get a skulk back to the front line a bit quicker. When flying, the lerk can move many times faster than a marine and of course the fade has the blink/teleport ability.

The mobility advantage encourages a gurilla warfare strategy: Skulks fan out and take down power nodes and marine resource towers in the early game. In the late game it means Aliens can chose where and when to engage the marines. The aliens can rapidly change the focus of their attacks, disrupting the marine strategy.

Marine tips
- going rambo is arguably the single worst thing a marine can do for his team. Group up, cover each other from a distance. Twitch gamers take point, the rest of us follow in a chain. Keep line of sight on your teammate, keep your aim pointed at his feet. Stay 5-10m away so that you have an easier time aiming at a skulk dancing around the feet of your commrade. If your team lacks this kind of dicipline, do the best you can by waiting for a rambo-type to run past, then tag along.
- when a skulk is dancing around your feet, you can jump around and move eratically to buy your teammates time to kill it. Also use the secondary attack with the rifle.
- After each engagement, repair your teammate's armour (aka "weld me!"): face them and press e. The welder stands behind the weldee, while the weldee guards. Don't face each other and weld at the same time and don't put your back to enemy's approach. If you hear a marine ask for a medpack, check if he needs welding.
- use short, controlled bursts. This conserves ammo and usually kills the target quicker than holding the trigger down while your try and aim.

Skulk tips:
- Skulks need to sneak up on or ambush marines. At the very least, try and use an unpredictable aproach vector. Practice running along the walls or the roof. The game makes this easy but it is a bit disorienting. Esentially you want to close the distance on the marine giving him as little time as possible to aim at you, or making that aiming very difficult. Also, chose your battles. It's on your terms.
- Skulk bite attack obscures your vision and disorients, which can make it difficult to bite an evasive marine. Borrow the marine strategy and use short controlled bursts: only presss bite when you're sure you're facing them.
- The skulk's parasite is AWESOME. Get a parasite into every building and marine you can. It assists your teammates, injures marines (two bites and parasite kills, otherwise three bites are required) and makes marines fearful of advancing. It can only be removed with a medpack, which costs marines resources and uses up the commanders time and attention.

General tips
- Situational awareness! Check/watch the map (press c), especially when building or guarding as a marine. Less important for aliens due to hive sight, but still useful for working out where to attack next or where is safe to evolve when you respawn as a skulk.
- Situational awareness! Try and keep a feel for who is alive/dead. If three marines recently died, marines should be vary warey of running out of a secure hardpoint into a corridor whereas aliens can take a few risks for a little while.
- Situational awareness! Communicate with your teammates, but keep voice chat to a minimum.

General strategy
Marines should secure key map locations: hive/cc rooms. Turrets, observatories and phase gates. Marines can then launch an attack from any of those locations, in any direction and be becon'd back as required. Get the commander to scan the way ahead before you move in to a potential ambush.

Aliens use gurilla warfare and attritional damage to distract and overwhelm the marine commander. You can bleed a turret's ammo out by dancing around in front of it and running back to get healed up. It becomes more effective if you can dance around a bit to avoid getting hit and the closer you are to a place to get healed (hive/crag/gorge).

NS is pretty different from most other fps games. You don't win by having the biggest frag count. You win by pressing your advantages, exploiting the enemy's weakness and working as a team.
Khyron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd October 2011, 06:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Average - Post: 150

Nice tips there Khyron, can tell you have played heaps of the original game

Yes as a marine the best way of killing a skulk is keeping back and using a fellow marine upfront for bait, its sad but true.

Did you mention situational awareness at all?
Its so very very important, this game can never be won by sending flocks of troops into the front line - its about timing your attacks on mass when the enemy is distracted. Two minutes with minimal disruption can change the game, a team of marines in a hive spamming nades or a group of skulks in a base chomping out the power.

Welcome to the forums mate, looking forward to playing more games with you before the tournament.

Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 06:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4587

Fine

Skulk tip: I have been turning my sensitivity to the lowest preset on my mouse when hitting the skulk up. I was finding I was overshooting that target a lot, sliding off and biting air. With less sensitivity I'm feeling much increased control and some more success with hits.

Also, use your jump and pay attention to which way marines are turning. Always try to steer toward their rear obviously.

Same applies for marines, when attacked by a skulk, increase your movement erratically, it really does help you stay alive to deliver the extra few rounds to stop that filthy mutt.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18207

Breezy

Good tips - thanks all. I'll mess with the sensitivity thing.

Sorry I couldn't make it today. I just flew in from Sydney and I'm buggered. I can't make practice on Thursday either. *sob*
Old 1st November 2011, 09:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 18

Goofy

Sorry I wasn't able to make it last week for prac either. Been super busy with tafe and end of year assessments.

Nice tips though.
Angakoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

no worries lads. Lets try and get our shit together Thursday for one last (or first) proper practice before the match Friday! should still be fun.

Can I get a hands up for those coming Thursday for practice and also attending the match Friday?

Old 1st November 2011, 11:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

Late on Thursday and late on Friday.

Friday is 8pm Bris time right? Kurse the kids activities! What are the "join late" rules (assuming you're short some players)
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 508

Lurking

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say hi, I'm new to TOG but have been playing NS since the original game was released, would love to get in on some of the NS2 beta games you're playing!
Played the NS2 beta pretty extensively, as well as a bunch of other FPS' (TF2, BF series) know most of the ins and outs, really hoping the add onos sometime soon.

I'll try to get in touch with someone on steam to get an invite to the TOG NS2 steam group asap.

Cheers,

Antor85
Ant85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

Welcome Ant
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Hi mate, welcome aboard. Great timing, from the sounds of it we may not have enough players for the match Friday. Will be around
8pm EST tomorrow (Thursday) if you can make it onto team speak 3 an get our practice on.