The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Shooter Games: The Range (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/)
-   -   EA Possibly Looking at Subscription Model for Future Shooters (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/422103-ea-possibly-looking-subscription-model-future-shooters.html)

Ned 20th March 2012 12:42 AM

EA Possibly Looking at Subscription Model for Future Shooters

Quote:

While the industry has always associated subscriptions models with MMO's, it seems EA is looking to broaden those terms onto the FPS market. Patrick Soderlund, head of EA Games label who oversees Electronic Art's more prominent shooter titles like Battlefield and Medal of Honor, recently spoke with VentureBeat about some interesting changes that EA were looking at in regards to subscription based modelling.

SOURCE EA Possibly Looking at Subscription Model for Future Shooters - AusGamers.com

Thoughts?

AlphaGamma 20th March 2012 02:09 AM

Omg, really?

Draadnor 20th March 2012 07:24 AM

I refuse to continually pay for a game (it is one of the reasons I don't play MMORG's). I especially will not do so for any EA game!

Purg 20th March 2012 07:37 AM

Yeah, saw some recent articles naming the Battlefield series possibly being subscription based. Would certainly lose me as a customer if that were to happen.

SJ777 20th March 2012 07:48 AM

they've toe dipped with BF play4free.

Activision has started their premium content subs for COD on consoles (but not PC)

Its only a matter of time. I dare say we will become used to this and complain but ultimately be left with no choice...much like we are in accepting unfinished products at release date.;)

Ange 20th March 2012 08:39 AM

After the epic fail of BF3, I think EA really need to sit down and work on games that are actually good.

Carm 20th March 2012 11:55 AM

Finish working on games until all the bugs are out would be nice
There would be ppl out there that would pay subscriptions I'm sure but our gaming household wouldn't
:?

recon 20th March 2012 03:45 PM

If SWTOR is anything to go by I don't think I will participate. While the game is good I don't believe it is good enough to pay $80-90 for and then ongoing subscriptions. Perhaps if the client were free ala Eve and then subscriptions to play I'd consider it.

A decent FPS MMO would be something else entirely.

Purg 20th March 2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ange (Post 3469715)
After the epic fail of BF3, I think EA really need to sit down and work on games that are actually good.

Not sure how epic the failure was - it's still receiving awards and there's plenty of full servers and comps running as we speak. Granted, I wish they had chosen a different method for hit detection, though.

Purg 20th March 2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recon (Post 3470041)
If SWTOR is anything to go by I don't think I will participate. While the game is good I don't believe it is good enough to pay $80-90 for and then ongoing subscriptions.

Wasn't there just a free weekend? Decided not to install it just incase I liked it. Agreed, asking $90 for the game then an ongoing subscription is too rich for me.