The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Shooter Games: The Range (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/)
-   -   [Tribes: Assend] Wanna try some teamwork? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/432092-tribes-assend-wanna-try-some-teamwork.html)

Fox 13th May 2012 11:22 AM

[Tribes: Assend] Wanna try some teamwork?

By team I mean two or three players trying to get their act together on a public server.

I'm an all-rounder raider that can cap flags, destroy assets/defenses and in a very inefficient manner, chase down flag runners.

If anyone from Oz can play week nights and feels we can somehow form a team then let me know and we can try something.

Examples:
You might be a flag runner on Arx Novena. You can sit up on the aquaduct, wait for me to shoot up shields and min-turrets - wait for my word and swoop in on the flag.

You might be a soldier with a legendary thumper from hell. I'll swoop on the enemy flag, circle round to a location where I know you're waiting, zoom past you with the flag and you can thump anyone chasing me so I'm away clean.

If we had three players: a juggernaut can spam the enemy flag from a distance, I can mix it up with bad guys and while everyone is distracted our pathfinder performs a high speed grab.

I'll add this this sort of co-ordination takes practice and patience. It might mean standing around for periods of time while your team mate gets into position. We'll also make mistakes and our plans won't always work. However - with enough practice, a two/three person team that gets it right more times than they get it wrong can be a very fun way to spend an evening.

Genghoidal 13th May 2012 04:08 PM

Yep - cya online soon

bochaba 13th May 2012 07:58 PM

Happy to, msg me if Im on steam or in game

Noises 15th May 2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox (Post 3525794)

I'll add this this sort of co-ordination takes practice and patience. It might mean standing around for periods of time while your team mate gets into position. We'll also make mistakes and our plans won't always work. However - with enough practice, a two/three person team that gets it right more times than they get it wrong can be a very fun way to spend an evening.

The other thing it takes is communication. We're lucky to have the TS channel, because that makes this kind of thing much, much easier. The other thing that helps is having a playbook of tactics. And if we (The Older Gamers who play T:A) are going to start talking tactics, I'd prefer not to do that in our public forums where people we might end up playing against can come in and read them.

I'm into this idea. I can ski well enough to gotta go fast grab on most maps, my aim kinda sucks but I'm a dude with the mortars so HO works well for me. Actually HO works really well for me, I draw flag defenders miles off trying to catch and kill my sanic fatty. Geng's been there. And by there I mean 3/4 of the way to the edge of the map in the wrong direction, chasing my Jugg with another flag defender who could have been chasing, while our capper makes a run for home.

The biggest thing with these sort of plays in Tribes tends to be timing. If everyone involved knows how long it takes in seconds to ski a certain capping path, then working out your timing is a cinch. To nail timing, you need to work out, right, this path on this map, if you start from standing on this hill beside that rock, is a 30 second ski away along this back-to-front route through the flagstand. So when your flagstand attackers are twenty seconds out, they say so on TS and the capper starts his run and swoops through ten seconds after your boys show up to clear the flagstand and ambush the chasers and defenders.

This the sort of thing we could get together, work out and practice on a private, passworded server. Once we figure out plays and roles in them, they'll become as interchangable as they need to be. Who knows, we might even end up perfecting these plays to a point where we're working for us in tournaments.

For the time being I think we can nut these plays out and still keep things informal as they are now, but I think this thread might indicate it's time the Tribes: Ascend sub forum went TOG members only.

Irimar 15th May 2012 07:03 AM

If we're going to try to field a competitive group, I agree we need to go TOG members only in this forum.

RnR 15th May 2012 12:32 PM

Can I suggest the Eve Online forum structure? A Public forum with a private subforum?

Genghoidal 15th May 2012 12:38 PM

Sounds good to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnR (Post 3527795)
Can I suggest the Eve Online forum structure? A Public forum with a private subforum?

RnR 12th August 2012 12:30 PM

*bump*

Anyone still interested in this? I can't make Thursday nights anymore, but open for Sunday arvo's if anyone wants to crash the pubs and coordinate on TS.

HomersDonut 13th August 2012 01:19 AM

Dang, how did I miss this thread?

I'm all for trying to show a bit more coordination on the pubs, but it doesn't look like there is enough for anything serious.

I'm still playing most nights, but can't do afternoons. I even have TS reinstalled again. /yayme

bochaba 13th August 2012 09:44 AM

Sunday nights are no good. Im keen but Ive been playing a lot of other games lately so unless its planned for, I probably wont be on Tribes.