The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Shooter Games: The Range (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/)
-   -   So what's the next big thing in FPS (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/shooter-games-range/434053-so-whats-next-big-thing-fps.html)

Sp!at 24th May 2012 08:48 PM

So what's the next big thing in FPS

Hi all,
I've been trying to find a replacement game for good old CoD4 for years but nothing quite fits the bill so I was hoping some of you might share what you've been watching on the games radar.

Specifically I'm looking for a game that:
  • will have a TOG division
  • will participate competitively on a ladder (GA or CG)
  • will have various team-based strategic modes (not just TDM)
  • most likely modern warfare rather than future or WW2 based
  • won't be a sniper-fest
  • won't require uber-fast reflexes
  • will have different classes that have a good balance
  • will be a bit more unforgiving regarding bullet hits (not get hit 20 times and still keep on going)
I've tried a few games now over the years but nothing has been close to CoD4. I stopped buying the new CoD games a while back so perhaps even the latest versions may fit the bill. Battlefield games got close but just didn't feel 'right'.

Red Orchestra was good but wasn't supported in any big way. Brink and Gotham City Imposters were a little extreme and also didn't have a strong ladder competition.

I've got my eye on Counter Strike: Global Offensive as a strong possibility but there isn't a lot of details yet about that game yet.

Any other suggestions?

red_one 25th May 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp!at (Post 3536593)
Hi all,
I've been trying to find a replacement game for good old CoD4 for years but nothing quite fits the bill so I was hoping some of you might share what you've been watching on the games radar.

Specifically I'm looking for a game that:
  • will have a TOG division
  • will participate competitively on a ladder (GA or CG)
  • will have various team-based strategic modes (not just TDM)
  • most likely modern warfare rather than future or WW2 based
  • won't be a sniper-fest
  • won't require uber-fast reflexes
  • will have different classes that have a good balance
  • will be a bit more unforgiving regarding bullet hits (not get hit 20 times and still keep on going)
I've tried a few games now over the years but nothing has been close to CoD4. I stopped buying the new CoD games a while back so perhaps even the latest versions may fit the bill. Battlefield games got close but just didn't feel 'right'.

Red Orchestra was good but wasn't supported in any big way. Brink and Gotham City Imposters were a little extreme and also didn't have a strong ladder competition.

I've got my eye on Counter Strike: Global Offensive as a strong possibility but there isn't a lot of details yet about that game yet.

Any other suggestions?

FWIW, Red Orchestra 2 is having a Free weekend starting today!

Hopefully we can build up some numbers and start doing a comp :)

Juganort 25th May 2012 01:33 PM

I'd highly recommend the original COD: Black Ops, they have a division here and play in a CG ladder. Its by far my favourite over Modern Warfare 2 & 3.

Shirocco 26th May 2012 11:37 PM

Fair recommendation that, though be warned, BO doesn't run terribly well. If your PC has the brute force to run it well anyway then hook in.

Genghoidal 28th May 2012 01:20 PM

I'm mucking around in the CS:GO closed beta and having some fun when I jump in there. Haven't been overly impressed with MW3 and its super spammy over the top constant helicopters, gunships, hardcore BS. The matchmaking and lobby waiting is as bollocks as it ever was. I can't comment on the competition side of things for MW3, not sure exactly what's the deal there. I think I would quite enjoy some old fashioned S&D

I would suggest Tribes: Ascend if you are looking for something competitive, fresh and fun. We have quite a good amount of TOGs enjoying it and it is free to play so no hassles to try out and see if you like it.

Obviously, Arma2 has been getting a spanking in Dayz zombie apocalypse. If that floats the boat!

Red Orchestra 2 is great but definitely on the more realistic, WW2, slower paced, challenging / punishing gameplay side. I like to think that each kill in RO2 is worth about 10 kills in any other game :)

Noises 29th May 2012 08:17 PM

People are saying really good things about the zombie survial mod for ArmA II. there's been a group of us playing fairly actively, it's open world pk with zombies wandering around, built on the ArmA II military sim engine. There's no modes, obviously, being a persistent open world, with looting and perma death. But the content is completely player driven, and with enough of us, it's a lot of fun.

+1 for Day Z. we're all very lucky to have a group of players in that game we can trust.

theZee 31st May 2012 04:35 PM

Splat, I can honestly say that I think you will enjoy Red Orchestra. The gameplay and pace of the fights is very similar to COD4. There is also the added bonus of "realism" to the game, you need to account for bullet drop and you need to lead you targets etc. Try it out, for the price it's at you can't go wrong. Since I left COD4, this game is by far the closest approximation in terms of gameplay, tactics and pace :)