Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th December 2005, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 612

Goofy

For me, BF42 takes the cake.

I like the flying in BF42 the best. There's something about getting behind the stick of a classic prop plane that is just satisfying. The dogfights can be real fun, too. Using AA to take down a joystick jockey who's been terrorizing your forces is also divine.

The pace of the game can slow sometimes, but I like that better as you have more time to plan strategy.

And I agree with Rasputin: Tanks in BF42 are the best. Panzer all the way; quick and agile.

BFV...eh...I never played it a lot, except for the WWII mod released by DICE. The music radio seemed like a good idea at first. But when all your teammates are blasting it on their way to the enemy...it just pissed me off that they would willingly give away their position like that. Sometimes you could hear the damn radios from across the map.

BF2...I like it and I play it. BF2 sometimes moves too fast for me, though. The jets feel like crotch rockets with wings and that bugs me for some reason. The helicopters are fun to fly, however, once you figure out the flight controls. BTW...BF2 is the spiritual sequel to BF42's Desert Combat.

Old 30th December 2005, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
B B
Deadly - Post: 2477

Thumbs up battlefield series

dude bfv 's kool got good music and 1942 's also good but i hear the desert combat mod is the way to go
B B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Guru - Post: 10039

Desert Combat for the Win

Started out with 42 and enjoyed it heaps, but then I was shown DC and OMG it was like the ultimate - - - - - but full of cracks in the armour. I lived through all the patches and have had the best gaming experiences playing DC , met new friends and was sad to see it lose its popularity so quickly

BF2 well the jury is till out on that one, maybe the third patch (notice I didn't say expansion) will address some of the most basic and fundamental problems with this game.

Don't forget the to finish your collection off with BF '42 expansions of 'Secret Weapons of WW2' and 'Road to Rome'.

Cheers
Old 31st December 2005, 12:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
In Memory
Lethal - Post: 5988

BF1942 certainly is one of the greatest.........was/is still loads of fun and with our rigs these days it also runs flawlessly.

BFV...........this game is........well Rasputin still plays it so what does that tell ya! he told me to get it when it came out and was telling me how fan****ingtastic is was.......but, it did nothing for me, that arsewipe owes me.

BF2, well you're read all the hype and reviews and seen the game so you know how awesome it looks! chuggs a fair bit on 64 player servers. The squad part of the game is ok but still doesn't have the "feel" that DC had for me. I usually just go out and "lone wolf" it!!!!

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it...
Demon_Keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ombudsman
All Knowing - Post: 19630 TOG Gold Level Supporter TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yeehaw

I've never had as much fun as with BF1942, unless I go back further to Quake II and Tribes2, even so, I eventually had more fun with 1942.

I liked BFv, but people cheated in masses (lower your graphics to remove grass etc)

BF2, nah, too bothered about it to enjoy it anymore. Some fellow TOGs did that to me, but I was susceptible to it I suppose.
Old 31st December 2005, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
B B
Deadly - Post: 2477

Talking please explain the bf2 thing dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
I've never had as much fun as with BF1942, unless I go back further to Quake II and Tribes2, even so, I eventually had more fun with 1942.

I liked BFv, but people cheated in masses (lower your graphics to remove grass etc)

BF2, nah, too bothered about it to enjoy it anymore. Some fellow TOGs did that to me, but I was susceptible to it I suppose.
what seems to be the problem with bf2? dude is it to fast? or just not your cup of tea! i find there are so many different aspects to bf2, you can get out of the game what you want if your not comparing yours and others scores at the end of every round and using that as a measure of you enjoyment of the game !! p.s. nearly forgot WOW !!!!!!!!!
B B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 11:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Sleeping
All Knowing - Post: 18825

Relaxed

Let's not get into a pissing match here gentlemen, or I will start locking threads.

State your comments without getting personal, or you'll be violating the AUP.

Proof that stupidity and experience aren't mutually exclusive
Cailith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2006, 12:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 8702

Mellow

BF1942 is obviously the best of them all. It's still going strong, and the team plays a match a week as well as pubbing. It's well worth the $20.00 or so it now costs.

"Long live Natural Selection, nature's way of telling you you're a dickhead."
The_Fiddler
Hunting down the tards
Easy_Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2006, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2703

Wink

Hi Guys,

The recent X-Fire irc chat with the devs at EA / DICE on 12/18. Stated this in one of their responses:

Quote:
[DICE] PrivateParts: Question: Slow: How did DICE get started and how did the idea of MAKING a war game come to your minds. Also, about how much time went into:

A) the first Battlefield game

B) the Special Forces expansion

Answer: DICE Sweden worked on BF1942 and first expansion pack (Road to Rome). The studio here got its first taste of Battlefield with the Secret Weapons expansion. We followed with Battlefield: Vietnam. While working on Vietnam, Sweden started the work on Battlefield 2. From start to finish, it was probably a 2.5-3yrs development. As for the Battlefield Special Forces, we spent approx 1 year. We wasted a few months at the beginning because of technology issues.
So the EA Canadian DICE office did the BF42 expansion of "Secret Weapons" and BFV, which kinda bombed. But the Swedish end did BF42 vanilla and "Road to Rome" and the recent BF2 vanilla. EA Canada was the one to do BF: Special Forces.

Noticing the pattern here that the folks in DICE Sweden do a better job than EA Canada branch office of DICE.

Link to transcript.

-------------

For myself i have the BF42 Anthology but have never had the pleasure to game with TOG on it. I also downloaded the DC version of BF42 but never got to play it long ago.

I'm enjoying BF2, but do agree that the game pace of BF2 is too fast. Perhaps that was made so to pull in more casual gamers than the typical hardcore.

Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2006, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 8702

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrayo
Noticing the pattern here that the folks in DICE Sweden do a better job than EA Canada branch office of DICE.
If that's the case, then having had experience with all the updates they had to do on BF1942, then why the hell didn't they get BF2 right from the start?

"Long live Natural Selection, nature's way of telling you you're a dickhead."
The_Fiddler
Hunting down the tards
Easy_Beat is offline   Reply With Quote