TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th November 2005, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jump_Honner

Default Battlefield Europe

I understand this game used to be WWII online and has just been re-released.

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp

I read some unflattering comments about the previous incarnation but is anyone playing (or has played) the new version?

Thoughts?

Is there a time zone problem playing in Australia?

Might this be something that TOG got a Division going? (provided the game is actually good to play )

Old 26th November 2005, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18189

Breezy

I really do love the concept of it all - it truely is great - but I won't be tempted until the developers spend a little more time on the graphics/interface/gameplay.

Fix these things and I could easily work my way up to a high ranking commanding officer directing a 'global' war.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

I'm checking the website - is this just the same WWII online rebadged as Battleground Europe?

I'm not seeing anything indicating a new game/mod/expansion ...

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Old 26th November 2005, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

Quote:
What is WWII Online?
WWII Online is the title of the 2001 retail release distributed only in North America. The game has been improved, upgraded and vastly expanded from the first version and will be released in the U.S. and Europe through retail channels as "Battleground Europe".
Meh - same game - different box.

Shame - so much potential.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Old 11th February 2006, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5406

Brooding

I just noticed that a free trial has just finished Shame I want to see how this game was, any one have the game and have the friends 30 day trial key?

Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2006, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
B B
Deadly - Post: 2477

mmmmm.. sounds good
B B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 05:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 4

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/ww...ne/be_info.jsp

The link is for a 14 day trial. That's all they have on the site at the moment. I think you still need to give them credit card details though.

I've played the game on and off for the last year and for most of the time I really enjoyed it. True, the graphics look dated even on a medium to high powered machine, but compare the size of a c/s map to the entire northwest of europe .
My only problem with the game was that you can't generally jump into the game for a half hour or so. There are precious few evenings that I can guarantee myself an uninterrupted hour for gaming (this is probably why it took me nearly a year to get to colour sergeant )

Dearg
Old 8th August 2013, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

Breezy
Default Game has Changed in the last 6 years

I have played this Game on and Off since geez 2005 ( more on than off )
The Name Change wasnt Some evil plan to market the game as different or New. The original name for the game was WWIIOL Blitzkrieg .. unfortunately there were some Copyright issues with blitzkrieg Hence the Switch to Battleground Europe.

Some of the graphics have Been updated but still a Little Behind the times ... but that is Partially the engine they are using, partially the enormous Size of the map ( The Map is I believe a 1/5 Scale map of The british isles and Western/Central europe with the entire map being Live.. no zoning etc) and partially the Size of the Dev team(Currently 4-6 Devs atm) Alot Of the game play mechanics have Changed Drastically Since 2007( for example Mobile Spawn points have Changed to Forward Resupply Units.. now not only can you Spawn closer to the battle.. but You can rearm tanks and infantry from this point)

They do have free to play but its Limited in what weapon systems you can spawn in. It's really just ment to give you a feel/taste of the game and an inside look on how it all works( http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/free)
One of the big Selling Points to this game is that the Game is 100% totally Run from start to finish each map by regular players in the High Commands For both sides.Any Player in game can join their sides High Command and on a Daily even hourly basis decide the Course of the Battle.
The only thing the Devs Do is reset the Map at the Start of a Campaign and Declare a Winner when win conditions are Met... oh and unlike Most games .. the DEVS actually play the game.
Warning: this game has a fairly Steep learning Curve So if you have any questions about this game Feel free to PM me.
BTW: If you sub for the game (FTP can only reach rank 2 i believe)..For new Players Defense is the Way to go .. Points come faster and you have time between enemy encounters to ask questions of the players .. the Community in this game is notoriously Helpful for the Most part

if your into FPS/Simulation with a World War Two theme and a player driven Strategy/RP level in the game and Can get past the Not So up to date Graphics
this is the game for you
Syklops is offline   Reply With Quote