Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th April 2014, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 4

Default Why are console systems more popular than PC?

I've been playing FPS games on PC. Mostly Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 and Medal Of Honor Warfighter.

Apparently console systems are the more popular format but after trying my brother's setup - an XBox 360 - it escapes as to why. I find the controller cumbersome to use compared to a mouse and keyboard, fine adjustment isn't as good as using a m&k, which is crucial particularly when trying to pick someone from distance where you need to be able to quickly adjust half a hair one way or the other. I found using the thumbstick as opposed to a mouse really aggravating when trying to zero in on an enemy.

As I understand it the graphics on consoles is always behind the potential with a PC with a strong video card though it was hard to make an apples to apples comparison since he doesn't have the same games I have and he uses an HDTV whereas I do my gaming on a PC monitor.

Any insights as to why console systems are so popular?
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th April 2014, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

There are a few things to consider the console has a lower startup cost.

1. The cost of a console is fixed and usually far lower than the cost of what we here would probably consider a "decent" gaming PC.

2. Identical controller requirement means the playing field is "levelled" on a PC everyone could be using different peripherals and although I like you prefer choice in this matter on a console because everyone is using the same generation of controller to some they feel it's more fair and they don't have to drop $$$ on having the latest gaming mouse + keyboard
vortex05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

For FPS the controllers are inferior they are better at more analog controls such as driving a vehicle or flying a vehicle.

For an FPS the controls are inaccurate to the point developers have to use clever tricks and aiming aids that would be considered cheating on PC aka when you scope in the cursor snaps to target.

However consoles are cheaper up front and less an investment it also forces the "best" players to use the same equipment even if it's inferior. So Joe that doesn't have the money to get a consistent smooth framerate can still play his game on a "fair" system.

Running costs end up being the same despite lower up front costs however long term PC games don't subsidize the console so they end up being cheaper sooner rather than console games that hold a high cost for longer in order to recoup the cost of the console hardware.

I'm not a casual gamer I can't get into the whole sitting on your couch in a strange half sitting half lying down configuration while gaming but for some that's the only way to game. I'm more of an "alert" gamer aka I need my PC desk and be sitting upright.

Anyways TL,DR version I think consoles gamers are a financial decision as much as a preference issue. It's just much harder for a person to admit well I like consoles more because I can't justify paying that much for a gaming PC and I would say that's totally valid. PC gamers are the ones that care about having the best experience.

Also for an FPS on console you got to adjust those PC gaming habits. You have to be more willing to let a target fall into your cross hairs and use actual movement of your character body to do precise fire adjustments rather than rotation of your reticule alone. Also forget tracking a target while firing lol near impossible on thunbsticks.
vortex05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

As an “Old School” PC Gamer I always built my gaming PC’s. Around 2010 the cost effectiveness of keeping up with maximum performance for a PC rig became absorbent from a cost stand point. Couple that with the dwindling PC game title releases in a timely manner, reduced my gaming hobby tremendously.

Growing up a PC gamer the universal use of Keyboard and Mouse was another hindrance to moving to console. Upon discovering there was a manufacturer who made a Mouse/Keyboard emulator for the console changed my entire stance on Console gaming.

I have found the PS3 a very reliable and affordable substitute for the pricy performance demands of building a PC that can operated at maximum performance. Yes the Graphics may not be as superior but its close enough that over time you don’t notice it. Also with Game Stops used policy being 7 days to return I can enjoy games I would never want to own at no cost as I tend to finish games quick. It’s really a Win-Win.

With the PS3’s reliability and performance being what it is I will no doubt buy a PS4 once the second generation production runs are released.

Ryde...
RydeCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Psychedelic

Economics! Consoles are cheaper.

I'm a musician and I can tell you that more people play inexpensive guitars than highend ones, yet there are great players of both.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1299

Mouse/Keyboard is far superior to a controller in FPS but console price and ease of use (insert game/play rather than the myriad of issues a PC gamer may have to navigate/resolve) makes it an attractive option.

Also for many console players they are used to a controller and can find a m/kb como difficult to adjust to so there is probably a bit of 'the devil you know' involved.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Average - Post: 148

I would agree with the ease of use in previous generations, but really from the XBox 360 and PS3 onward there are generally updates for games, or for the system itself, often enough that it isn't just 'pop the game in and go' anymore. However, the fact that developers are targeting exact hardware does alleviate a lot of the need for driver knowledge that PC gamers need.

In terms of economics, that used to be a much bigger hurdle than it is now for PC gaming. Most families have at least one PC in the house that is more than capable of at least running modern games. They might not be running at max settings, but they will still function perfectly fine. However, most people will still have the idea in their heads that consoles are cheaper because they have already dropped tons of money on their television and/or sound system and don't mind spending a fraction of that cost on a game console.

In the end it really does just come down to comfort levels though. People more comfortable with the console experience will gravitate towards that no matter what and people with more PC experience will do the same. In recent years I've gotten some friends of mine more into PC gaming, but it was a massive struggle at first. Also things like Green man gaming, Steam, Amazon digital downloads, and GamersGate have made it much easier to be a PC gamer in recent years.
Old 9th May 2014, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1504

Paranoid

From my own observations, it seems that PC has been branded as 'needing to spend $5k to get a decent system to game on' and is 'full of hackers'.

Best argument I've seen to that is from the Reddit PCMasterrace section: guide - pcmasterrace

Sig by Neonin - Love your work!
Origin ID: paradroid27 Steam: paradroid27
Elite Dangerous: CMDR paradroid
paradroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4190

My PC I purchased in 2007 for $2k NZD. Only now am I feeling like I need to upgrade, so I'd say that's pretty good bang for buck.
Oh the original purchase included a G9 mouse and a screen, keyboard etc too.
Old 11th May 2014, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1636

Amused

You need to dig into the past to understand the brilliance of the Playstation (and it's earlier brethern like atari 2600 cd32 etc). $500 and you just plugged it and played when PC's at the time were big dollars and overclocking was done with a lead pencil. Then all of a sudden BOOM! Four drunken friends are playing against each other on TV in the lounge. Great times. If you didn't live through em - too bad!