Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range

Shooter Games: The Range Public discussion forum for all shooter games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th September 2014, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 77

Default Naval Action (world of tanks on water/age of sail)

Is anybody thinking of getting this one. noticed pre-orders just went up.
In the game you a little like MWO take your customised ship into an arena style game or later
an open world. Sailing is interesting as it provides a few different elements that are not in normal shooters. Such as crew management and ship roll, weather, wind and sail plans etc

I am a BETA tester for this game by the way. So full disclosure.
I am a big fan of the age of sail. Loved seeing hornblower and master and commander.

P.S. I notice TOG have started playing MWO again. Good to see you guys online.

EDIT:
http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

Last edited by Destraex; 18th September 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Destraex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th September 2014, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Squad Officer
Company Commander
World of Tanks
Elite - Post: 3221

Amused
Default Pirates of the Burning Sea versus Naval Action - Age of Sail MMORPG experiences

I am one of the Company Commander's of TOG's World of Tanks Division Asia Server, so I am in a position to comment on "World of Tanks"-like multiplayer game experiences.

I am also a big fan of the Age of Sail/Napoleonic Wars Era having read all the stories as well as watched the television/movie versions of Horatio Hornblower, "Lucky Jack" Aubrey and Horatio Nelson & the "Sharpe" Series.

I am currently rereading the classic Time-Life book
359.0094109034 - Seafarers - Fighting Sail by A.B.C. Whipple [Time-Life]

So I am in the mood to find a new multiplayer experience celebrating this era of history.

After visiting the website link, the main point of difference Naval Action offers compared to Pirates of the Burning Sea is the open world map with no historical towns and the use of signature ships of the era such as the HMS Surprise and the USS Constitution.

Naval Action will cost US$39-99 for a player pack with one "Yacht" starter ship worth US$20-00 with Beta Access by the end of 2014.

However, I think TOG's Pirates of the Burning Sea division in the TOG MMORPG Divisions section of this website, is providing our members with access to a "Age of Sail" MMORPG online experience with a Free to Play game.

Although it is an old game, it has a small but loyal band of players who continue to be active in the game.

Check out the review on MMOPlay from Youtube
Pirates Of The Burning Sea Gameplay - YouTube

Pirates of the Burning Sea offers solo and group players on a virtual open sea map of the caribbean.

Sea battles are instanced with player controlled ships from a tiny sloop (Level 1) to a First Rate Ship of the line (Level 50), fighting NPCs and other players in small frigate skirmishes to mighty port battles.

Players can form small groups of six players to complete the solo and group missions combining third person perspective ship battles on the sea with sword fighting boarding actions on enemy ships and ports.

There is a global campaign lasting 2 months for one of the four player factions (British, French, Spanish, Pirate) to capture sufficient Ports to achieve dominance of the map.

There is a well developed ship building economy which requires trading and production of resources (timber, iron, bronze) to develop the top end player ships.

For example, TOG has a well developed ship building supply chain which has enabled us to build for six players, the 'Terror' Pirate "Second Rate Ship of the Line" which sell for 28million doubloons (the ingame currency).

'Terror' Pirate Second Rate A Level 50, 102-gun Colossal Ship of the Line
Historical rating: 92-gun Second Rate

'Terror' Pirate Second Rate - POTBS, Pirates of the Burning Sea Wiki

You must be a Buccaneer or a Cutthroat

These are the two different character classes available to Pirate Faction players.

This is the Pirate variant of the 'Formidable' Second Rate Ship of the Line available to the National Player factions.

Pirate variants tend to trade armour for enhanced firepower.

I personally like to use the heated shot cannon mod which has a 5% chance of setting the enemy ship on fire and a 1% chance of doing the same to your own ship!

We are a Pirate Society on the Antigua (US Prime time) Server called Tankard of Grog (TOG).

We are less active on the Roberts (European Prime time) server with a dormant french faction society.

We are happy to help new players level up to the maximum level of 50 with free ships and supplies.

So if your interested in "Age of Sail" games but don't want to shell out on an incomplete game, try out PotBS.

Register for a free account at:
https://account.portalusgames.com/register

Download the client and then

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ml#post3992718

Last edited by Ace Rimsey; 19th September 2014 at 03:14 AM.
Ace Rimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow nice reply. I know from the people I speak to in testing that entire clans from POTBS will be switching to Naval Action when it comes out.

Naval Action will be a lot more historical and I do not think will be about economy as much, but don't quote me as I do not know much about the open world yet. To be honest from what I hear POTBS is fairly well pay to win. But I am no expert in this area. I do know though that no captain in his right mind would use heated shot in a real ship. Only land based fortifications used that to fire at ships from shore iirc. Other things that amaze me is that pirates use massive ships of the line in POTSB that you mention. Not even large pirate nations like the Barbary pirates used ships so large.

I must go look at some POTSB videos as I have never played it.

Last edited by Destraex; 21st September 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 21st September 2014, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have just pre-ordered this. But I am a tester as well.
The game is all about you taking your own sailing ship that you have configured into an arena style match with other people in a similar way to Mechwarrior Online. You configure your ship and then drop into a map.

They are also doing an open world where you can sail around capturing prizes and playing for a faction.

I guess the difference here is that they are pretty well historically focused. The ships are authentic and a lot of attention is being paid to the way the ships sail and respond. It is still a game though and it is not a simulator.
But the basics are certainly there. You can be taken aback if your do not tack properly for instance.
Some of the ships include the Surprise (master and commander) and the HMS victory. The Santisima Trinidad (largest first rate ever built iirc, a 4 decker) is also planned.

I for one am just happy the game even exists. I love the age of sail. Being hornblower or jack Aubery from master and commander with my own command is something to behold.

Naval Action

Screenshots below are from ME playing the alpha/beta. The interface especially is not finished.
Still gives you a good idea of what is going on though. For instance you can disable individual decks to stop them from firing and tell the crew what you want prioritized.

Old 21st September 2014, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

A few more for you from my testing.

In one you can see I have lost a mast and have attempted to stop and rake the enemy before he passes at close range and rakes me. He waited and my poor gunnery skill ensured his waiting paid off at close range. You can see the red of my left broadside reloading. I would set my crew to gunnery but they needed to prioritize survival (pumping, plugging leaks etc)

The two screenshots below are the kind of views that you command from for the battle. You are at deck level. The view lowers to the side you decide to aim from and you take ranging shots and fire broadsides (or individual decks if you want) from there. The longer you are in this gunnery view the more narrow the grouping cone gets. You can also lay the guns right or left slightly for a better shot. Up and down of course to guage the range.

Old 21st September 2014, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

The thing I really love about this game is that you really do feel like you are riding a sailing ship. Those who have sailed will know what I mean. It really does capture the power of the wind.

Ok in an attempt to explain the firing sequence as it stands now. (subject to change)

You select the shot you want. This is done for each side of the vessel.
The crew load the shot and time to do this is indicated by a red circle slowly filling until it becomes green
If you have fired one deck at a time or one deck not all decks will be ready at once but can be fired as they become ready
Alternatively wait for all decks to report loaded and ready to fire (green circles complete).
Now you are rady to fire.

Move the mouse to the side you wish to fire from so that you are looking out that side of the ship. Right click to get down flush with the top deck to lay the guns.

A firing cone will appear. The longer you hold this the narrower the cone becomes. This shows where your shot will hit.
Move the mouse from left to right to utilise the limited cannon traverse (only a few degrees usually) for a better shot.

Move the mouse up and down using the red dash as reference until you think you have the range.
Factor in roll and wait for your roll to come about .

Press space for a single shot for ranging. Do this as many times as needed.

Press left mouse button to unleash the full broadside. You may not be able to see through the smoke for a period of time.

In this screenshot you can see the white lines on the water where the shot would land should I fire (shot grouping). I am looking as far left as I can to try to bring the enemy to bear. If you look closely you can see the red dash that acts as a firing reticle. This is moved up and down to indicate cannon elevation. This is where the real skill lies.
Notice also that all reload circles (one that indicates there is only one deck) are green and ready to fire. Loaded with Ball.

The grouping strip can be seen in the water here. If I should fire all shot will fire within this area and not to the left or right. My cannon on both sides however are indicated as reloading by the red incomplete circle. Loading with ball.

Aiming to the far right.

This little cutter is a bit of a hand full at full speed. Gun elevation because of lee on one side hits the water not far away!!!

Old 21st September 2014, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow the signature I had for cliffs of dover for the last year or more just decided it was too big. Will have to remove that.
Old 21st September 2014, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just had a quick look at POTBS. Seems ok but I am more into history and aiming the guns myself rather than pirates with anime costumes. Naval Action is much closer to empire total war than POTBS I think.

There is no swashbuckling element to naval action though as far as I know.

Also POTBS is not strctly free to play is it? You do have options to pay.

In any case it is rare to have a good age of sail game and I think Naval Action is rather unique in comparison to anything out there at all. I don't think there has been a game which forces you into first person to shoot thereby making the game much more playable in first person.

I just took a look at a video of POTBS naval gameplay and it seems very fast and very thrird person. Along with that very MMO in its stats style play. Not into that at all really.

Last edited by Destraex; 21st September 2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 23rd September 2014, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

this is what the devs had to say about single player when I asked:

"PVE is going to be in game - you will be able to sink AI ships with friends.
But i promise pvp will be more fun. We plan to make it a lot less hostile than POTBS or EVE."
Old 26th September 2014, 05:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Squad Officer
Company Commander
World of Tanks
Elite - Post: 3221

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
Wow nice reply. I know from the people I speak to in testing that entire clans from POTBS will be switching to Naval Action when it comes out.
Like all game genres, you get societies switching from one game to another due to different emphasis on different game design decisions.

eg.
World of Tanks vs War Thunder Ground Forces.
World of Warcraft vs. Guild Wars 2.
EVE Online vs. Star Citizen.

etc.

This is no different.

Quote:
Naval Action will be a lot more historical
Letting everyone sail a HMS Surprise or a USS Constitution strikes me as not being that historically accurate. There just weren't that many of those types of frigates to be handed out to privateers (which is effectively what the player is given he/she isn't part of the formal navy and hence not forced to perform blockade duty, but can free roam to fight enemies of the King!)

I prefer the Star Trek Online alternative where I got to sail William Shatner/Jame's T Kirk's original Star Trek Constitition Class "Enterprise" Cruiser in the 1960s became downgraded to a scout ship level ship in the current persistent universe which post dates Star Trek The Next Generation in Timeline

Pirates of the Burning sea ships are based on historical ships of the time. Not just "Movie Ships".

Naval Action's main "Non-Historical" aspect is the generic open world nature will mean you can't sail to Fiji. You will sail to an unmarked island with a randomly generated name.

Quote:
and I do not think will be about economy as much, but don't quote me as I do not know much about the open world yet. To be honest from what I hear POTBS is fairly well pay to win.
It can be pay to win if you have more money than sense!

People who really wanted a Terror paid real money to swap for ingame currency of 28Million dbs which is hundreds of dollars in real money.

Their money goes to rewarding real players who had to play the game the way it's meant to be played to build the Terror ship deed on offer for sale to the "Pay to Winner".

So it's the built in game mechanic that rewards the skilled player by transferring value from the unskilled rich fool!

It's no different to the US$20 premium ship Naval action is throwing in for the starter membership.

You can also buy good premium ships with real dollars. But the top ships MUST be made by real players and bought using ingame currency.

All our six Terrors were made the old fashion way of harvesting raw materials and hauling them to trading ports and buying ship wright materials when they are cheap and selling them when they are dear.

I didn't have to pay a single real cent to get my two Terror deeds. Indeed, I think it cost me the equivalent of 10 Million doubloons in game currency as I found and traded and harvested all the elements I needed to make two of them.

We have well established ship building economy so that we can easily help you level up to 50 with free ships and support and you can earn your own top tier ship the proper way.

So sign up to our society and we can help you not "pay to win!" which is the excuse used by lazy gamers not to even play properly.

Even if you did pay to win by buying a Terror using real dollars. It only has two durability points. So if you bought your way to the best ship in the game. Your lack of game experience by not actually playing means you will burn off your money when it gets sunk due to lack of skill.

Quote:
But I am no expert in this area. I do know though that no captain in his right mind would use heated shot in a real ship.
You are misinterpreting my throw away comment.

I use heated shot in my Terror which is intended primarily as a PvE combat vessel, mainly due to it's high cost to buy, hence less likely to be risked in a port battle where cheaper vessels are used.

Heated shot mod is very rare PvE specific weapon mod equivalent to the a 5% cannon damage mod with the bonus chance to set either the enemy ship or yourself on fire. Few captains would be interested in purchasing and installing this Mod, and would never be used on a PvP orientated ship.

We are not talking about a lot of damage either way, say a few points off internal structure in both situations.

But it's fun to see the flame icon on enemy ships and I laugh off the trivial loss of a few internal structure points off 3000 internal structure. I can pop a structure healing buff to compensate if needed where as an AI ship won't.

To avoid "Pay to Win", I had to Grind PvE enemy fleets to gain doubloons and ship building materials and outfittings to fund the production of my Terror which is the Pirate variant of Formidable 2nd Rate Ship of the Line.

In PvP, I would be rigging a Hercules frigate for port battles and open sea skirmish and would not be outfitting an "heated shot mod" PvE mod which is intended for use against enemy NPCs for harvesting doubloons and materials for building and outfitting player built ships.

Quote:
Only land based fortifications used that to fire at ships from shore iirc. Other things that amaze me is that pirates use massive ships of the line in POTSB that you mention. Not even large pirate nations like the Barbary pirates used ships so large.
The sacrifice of historical accuracy was done to redress the game play imbalance where a National side fielding Ships of the Line were certain to defeat an equivalent number of Pirates in only frigates.

In the original design, the global conquest Realm versus Realm (RvR) was the three national player factions (British, French, Spanish) to win control of the carribean by controlling as many enemy ports by the end of the two month round.

Ports seized by National factions are held until the end of the round.

Ports seized from or by pirates were returned to their respective owners after 3 days. Hence Pirates could never win by conquest alone only by battles.

Pirate player factions role was a spoiling one by helping the other National player factions slow the leading faction's capture of more National faction ports by attacking the leader's control of enemy ports and releasing them back to their original owners.

Later as the server population declined, it often came down to one dominant National faction versus the Player Pirate faction.

So in port battles where the nationals all had ship of the lines of the line and pirates only had frigates, the battle was lost before it even started.

To redress this problem, PotBS introduced Pirate variants of the National ships of the line to make the port battles a more even contest.

Even so, only National Player factions with Navy career class characters can sail 1st Rate Ship of the line in the game.

Quote:
I must go look at some POTSB videos as I have never played it.
Please do so and if you do sign up, join us ingame before you prejudge a game merely on a few videos.

Last edited by Ace Rimsey; 26th September 2014 at 08:30 AM.
Ace Rimsey is offline   Reply With Quote