Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Simulation

Simulation Place to play when you can't get it for real

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:04 PM   #81 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 806

Twisted

Well .... besides Yaks being ridiculous Im quite enjoying myself. Have mothballed for the most part my larger bombers, equipped everything else with the most lethal ammo and just make sure to close in real tight for the kills and then run away before someone can get on mine.... oh ... and only play sub tier 9 :P
Mario9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th March 2013, 11:04 AM   #82 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 806

Twisted

Bf 109 pilot Franz Stigler and B-17 pilot Charlie Brown's first meeting - YouTube
Mario9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 03:00 PM   #83 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1194

Devilish

That's awesome.
D3lthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 03:16 PM   #84 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Devilish

DOGFIGHTS, P38 LIGHTNING VS ME 109

Old 25th March 2013, 03:11 PM   #85 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 69

Dead

I loved Shady's logic a few nights back. Effectively his opinion is it's not a beta because he's spent money on it...

Also, for all the ex-WOTians among us. Just dropped myself from TOG1R in light of recent events. Will remain clanless for the foreseeable future due to the fact that I barely even log in to the game at all.
chillaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 06:33 PM   #86 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Dangerous - Post: 613

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
Having been involved in the WoT and MWO betas and now WT it seems as if there is a definate development cycle that these companies take in trying to get their product to the market, as it were. As beta testers it is this roller coaster experience that sometimes makes it unpleasant to continue testing, each patch makes drastic changes to game play and in lots of cases away from the game that we have become comfortable with. I still have the occassional game of WoT and MWO not because I particularly like what the game has become nor because of the nostalgia but because in some small way the game is what it is because of the time, effort and feedback I have given it. Gaijin are obviously preparing this game to go GA and are trying to build a game that has a long term financial business viability which at times appears in direct opposition to the vocal majorities wishes but I am with Opti in that I still have hope that WT will meet the expectations that Gaijin have raised in its player base. Lets continue the testing, remain vocal and try to be positive about ongoing development.
I've been in so many betas this year the idea of adding one more makes me cringe, did PS2, MWO WowP, and a few others not even worth remembering. The new open beta, or pre-release play trend for games while productive I hope for the companies has me feeling like a hamster in a squeaky wheel. Bad enough the ones that are 1.0 and still basically beta are in this weird murky grey area seem to be my new calling.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:39 AM   #87 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Trek Online
Deadly - Post: 1455

Cynical

i've put in a good deal of time in this title over the last week, even investing (i guess we almost have to call it that at this stage of development, right?) a bit of money for a couple of planes and premium time. this was not a difficult decision at the time given my experience in World of Warplanes. Gaijin's iteration of this genre is much better all around at this stage in the respective development cycles. nevertheless. like many others, i've found the 1.29 patch more like the horse pill i'm asked to swallow for my own good.

it seems the developers are experimenting wildly with some aspects presently. while crafting some very nice games (Wings of Prey) with a heavier "flight-sim" type of mechanic, what is becoming clear is that the company has little experience with the type of business model that will find an appropriate balance between general/casual playability and the more hard-core roots from which they've grown...and still make money. i try to recognise in what direction the game is headed and decide whether i want to steer my own desired play-style commensurately.

for now, i still find myself thrilled in those moments when i can score a few air kills in a match, and/or drop a heavy bomb-load on a tank column. i can only imagine (through rose-coloured glasses) what the combined arms aspect of their plan would look like. at one time, i felt like Wargaming.net was going to be the source for this action, but at this point, i think i like Gaijin's direction/plan a bit more. i don't really mind the company messing about with flight and damage models a little, and i suspect there will be a compromise on the earnings gigantic nerf-bat that was wielded upon the community last week.

bottom-line...
putting 20mm cannon rounds into an enemy fighter, and sawing the tail off a bomber circling my base is a visceral thrill that is hard to find, no matter where the game is in its "development cycle".

*(edit)
the official forum is both epically tragic and entertaining. the moderators for these things must be driven to an extra pint daily.

Last edited by Mach 5; 26th March 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Mach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 06:24 AM   #88 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Dangerous - Post: 613

Lurking

I just started playing it, basically its every thing I hoped WoWP would be before the beta started, plus more. Don't like the horrible grind for my crew exp since they make or break a mouse plane, but outside of that I love it. Just got up to the tier 3 US bombers, the big pontoon planes, sucks having no real guns, but once I get use to high alt bombing I think it work fine till I get to the other US bombers.

Bombers were the big thing for me, in WoWP I was sad when they said they had little to no interest in player ran bombers, and anything with a rear turret or two is rookie pilots dream.

EDIT: Is there an actual division for this game with a roster? Seems like its mostly tankers playing but I got no clue which ones or what name they are using in game, and want to fill up my friends list. And I know about the channel. Also gonna to copy paste over some files for this and WoT for my cousin today, his modem is garbage and throttling him down bad, so saving him a 12 hour download lol

Oh and my record so far was 4 kills in a row, not sure how I did it, but I think I may have poached some biplanes seeing how I fired less rounds at them then any thing else I fired on, and had an awful crew for that plane. Outside of that the rest of my kills were from the turrets I manned a couple of them early on.

Last edited by Zalzany; 31st March 2013 at 06:32 AM.
Zalzany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 09:52 AM   #89 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalzany View Post
Is there an actual division for this game with a roster? Seems like its mostly tankers playing but I got no clue which ones or what name they are using in game, and want to fill up my friends list. And I know about the channel.
No we do not have a division yet, we are trying however to get one started.

Most of the TOG members that play War Thunder no longer play World of Tanks.

The OP has a list of known ign's of members.
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:14 AM   #90 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Trek Online
Deadly - Post: 1455

Cynical

hope a few of you got in on the bit of April foolery

shot 2013.04.01 19.09.32.jpg