Old 28th February 2012, 09:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Doe View Post
Again, if there is anything I can do to help (design ideas, redstone help, materials) let me know. Since I've never seen a spleef stadium before there might not be much I can do, but I'm at your disposal
One was built on Sanctuary within the spawn border just east of the NPC village. Have a look.

I believe that commonly the corners of the arena are used as non-removable bases from which the combatants can start, with the spectators looking through glass or fencing so there can be no interfering from the crowd.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th February 2012, 10:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 638

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
One was built on Sanctuary within the spawn border just east of the NPC village. Have a look.
Oh cool, thanks for that.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Finally got the ball rolling! Work has started, chose the spot near Duck's place, highlighted on the map by him on a previous post..

Have nearly got the bottom, the trap floor done. Water currents push the loser into one of 4 traps/deaths depending on where you fall. I'm not going to mark the spleef surface so it'll be abit of a suprise as to wich way you end up floating. Going to add glass, or a fence and viewing area around the whole outside so spectators can watch people float to their deaths.

As you can see in the photos, there is a cactus wall, a lava trap, and a pit that drops 30 blocks to the bottom! The 4th area ( just grass for now ) is what I need help deciding what to do with, I'd love to have mobs spawn but that could prove more trouble than its worth due to creeper explosions. Suffocation is an option, but I need to know a decent design that would preferrably not need to be reset..

Open to suggestions guys,

I'm also just going to get the basics down, then hand it over or ask for help from someone whose a decent MC architect to design/help build the stadium or arena that will basically cover the whole thing, also upto you guys as to what style you'd like the building to be.

Good to be back on the server, hope to hear your thoughts on this project
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 05:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Got some more work done in the early hours, havn't been able to log on recently so put in abit of overtime online

Apologies for the amount of pics, but it helps explain whats going on..

Going to add one-way steel doors at either end, for player entrance. Just going to have pressure plates on the outside so once your in you can only go down. ( if other players are spectating they can let the winner out, if only two players they can just remove the doors and put them back when finished. ) Iron bars will also surround the outside, on the wood blocks just back from the stone slabs. The slabs make it just too high to jump out without obstructing too much view.

This is the viewing platform above the arena, once I get more glass it'll extend across the middle of the arena, with glass panes to stop players above falling onto the play surface. I'm trying to use as much open area as possible to make for better spectating without letting players on the outside actually be able to access the spleef surface except through the doors to stop interference.

And this is the lower level where the loser meets his/her end. Its abit more of a WIP than the upper level, again, need more glass as I realised with just the panes there players could jump out the sides if they tried hard enough. I'm going to replace the panes along the water current with glass blocks so theres no chance of escape

(Apologies for the night pic it was bedtime and I couldn't wait for the next day cycle.)

Finally, this is the whole structure, it's not too big and I'd love if someone could come up with an idea or help with plans as to what should surround it, I'm not too savvy at good looking MC architecture and I see this as more of a community building for everyone to play with and enjoy so theres no problem if you'd like to add a structure around it all in any style, aside from looking like a big stone box wich is what it'll end up if I do it.

Thanks for your interest, and patience with this one, nearly ready to let the death spleef begin!
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 09:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5759 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Mate this looks fantastic, the other method of death could be suffocation via Pistons.

if you find yourself on the sactuary server I have created a simple piston suffocation trap

type /warp death

and you will warp to the entry of it.

for the rest of you it is under my place, it is encased in black and yellow wool, it has 4 signs saying death, it has a bed and a chest.

frankly if ya enter and die it was your call lol after all you had to go out of your way to get there and then ignored loads of signs.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 11:05 AM   #36 (permalink)

Tired

That looks awesome. I'll have to check it out later today. I know we were talking about this yesterday but one idea could be to have a Doom Room. What i mean is, in the original Doom, the end of the first chapter you were teleported to a dark room full of bad guys.

All we need to do is have a monster spawners (player made) feed into a shielded room (so creepers don't ruin everything) and have the losing player dropped into the room.

I've got a working obsidian factory if you want to pursue it

Last edited by Akira Doe; 29th February 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Akira Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5759 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Doe View Post
I've got a working obsidian factory if you want to pursue it
I thought obsidian factories were gone now that you can't have endless lava
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 12:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 685

Yeehaw

There is a current 'feature' where you can generate obsidian with a single lava block and redstone. I also have a generator on frontier although I have not really used it, more a cool project and my first redstone creation.
Old 29th February 2012, 01:39 PM   #39 (permalink)

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
I thought obsidian factories were gone now that you can't have endless lava
It's probably more accurate to say it converts Redstone to Obsidian,

The 1 lava block spreads out all 4 ways 3 blocks, so each time it makes 12 blocks of obsidian.

You do need to place the redstone down first otherwise it just converts to stone or cobblestone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg of1.jpg (128.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg of2.jpg (133.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg of3.jpg (125.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg of4.jpg (165.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 29th February 2012, 01:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9272

Wow, that is still costly as redstone isn't exactly commonplace.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote