TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Old 1st March 2012, 11:25 AM   #51 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 596

Tired

I thought I'd try my hand at a Snowman Farm to help out.

1st attempt was a failure.

I was hoping if I used pistons to raise the snow covered block it would drop snow, but...

It's not like wheat, it just disappears...

I always like to try my way before looking up if someone else has designed one, but since I failed I looked it up and made this,

All you have to do is dig the middle block of snow and you have a never ending supply of snow. Apparently the key is the soul sand. Because it's 15/16th the height of a normal block, the snow will cover the surrounding blocks below, in this case only the lower obsidian block is "below" (because the rest is enclosed with glass or other obsidian blocks) so it's really easy to farm.

I haven't build one on the server yet, was just testing in single player.

I was thinking (if there are no objections) I'd build a portal to the nether and link it to the "main" portal system once build so we can easily travel there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sf1.jpg (109.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg sf2.jpg (116.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg sf3.jpg (172.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg sf4.jpg (192.0 KB, 50 views)

Old 1st March 2012, 09:06 PM   #52 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

What happens if you let water run over the snow? Water can be used to harvest wheat, maybe it works for snow as well?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:01 AM   #53 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5497 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
What happens if you let water run over the snow? Water can be used to harvest wheat, maybe it works for snow as well?
water destroys snow
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Perhaps we can incorporate the snow golem farm into a few towers to guard the area aswell? Aslong as they can be confined to the the tower but still attack mobs from it, we could have a steady harvest of snow and some defense for the place.

The spot where I built is crawling with nasties after dark, and some stick around and hassle construction. I blame the Duck for choosing

Got a couple beds and chests set up, just have to tidy a few things up then it's all go. Have made a road towards spawn too and it crosses a massive, but otherwise boring ravine. Anyone savvy at bridge designs? Go nuts!
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 04:29 AM   #55 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft

The spleef arena is finished!

Well, its playable. Me and Akira had a quick match the other day. The traps all work, there are 4 of them (Cactus,lava,fall-pit and piston crusher) and where you fall through the playing surface depends on wich one you end up in. There are Snow golems set up as snow generators off to one side too so theres an endless supply of snow blocks and no excuse for not refilling the surface when your finished and beds and chests to set your respawn and store your things + some shovels allready provided in marked chests.

Apologies for the surrounding area though, prettymuch trench and fence to keep the mobs out and its not pretty, will get to that soon.

Feel free to play as much as you like and modify the surrounds, I only ask that you dont change any of the traps and playing area.

I also wanted to ask if it would be possible to set up a portal to connect to the current portal system for easier access? I'm not good at all with portals, last time I tried on Frontier from my place I kept ending up in different peoples places and back at the main spawn so some help would be appreciated.

Next time theres a few online we will have to have abit of a spleef scrim, I'll make some vids and we can Mumble about the upcoming plans and ideas for the big build.

Thanks,
Old 6th March 2012, 04:39 AM   #56 (permalink)

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espesh View Post
I also wanted to ask if it would be possible to set up a portal to connect to the current portal system for easier access?
Consider it done, only not done yet because I won't be online next until tomorrow, but you know what I mean
Old 6th March 2012, 09:12 AM   #57 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

Great! I am sure one of our more experienced inter-dimensional engineers will help you with an exact portal.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 12:06 PM   #58 (permalink)

Tired

The portal is build and linked to the "portal system".

You can access the path in the nether to the new portal from the spawn portal.

(Screenshot taken standing in the spawn portal)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spleef.jpg (127.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 9th March 2012, 09:15 AM   #59 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2836

Well done!
Stuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 08:45 PM   #60 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft

I'm in the process of creating a small(ish) roller-coaster next to the arena, just putting the skeleton/frame up now, then need to get some more iron and start crafting tracks..

I also plan to try and make a boat race type thing with water currents in the future.

Perhaps a water slide/drop.

Since the portal has been put in (thanks Akira) and it's easier to travel there I thought I'd make the site in to a kind of playground/amusement park if theres no objections. Theres nothing else around for miles and the terrain is that grassy/plains type stuff so I'm not really ruining any scenic vistas or anything.

If anyone wants to travel to the site and put up their own fun to play with structure your more than welcome, add to the roller-coaster, go nuts. I see this space as more of a community area than "mine".

Also toying with the idea of another arena where folks can PvP each other and maybe something simpler like a snowball fighting area

After seeing the vid Sor posted awhile back, might be fun to try and make the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots thing too, I would need some help from some more redstone savvy people for that one though.

All of this just plans for the space at the moment, and if no-one objects. I'd like to hear any suggestions you guys have too if you'd like to see something else.