Old 14th March 2012, 03:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 632

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Well not really... stacks of snow could be spawned by a modmin and put into a chest in the arena building for use in the spleef arena, under the condition that it was only to be used for the arena, and not to be taken by any players for any other use other than the arena floor.
We've got 2 or 3 snow farms at the arena and I have my own so I don't think there is a need to spawn any snow.

Quote:
I do like the idea of a prize, and that's very generous Akira!
It's not as generous as it almost was...

A full set of diamond amour enchanted with Protection IV, but given the time it took to get that much diamond and enough XP for the enchantments, I might keep that for myself...

Old 14th March 2012, 04:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

woah, yes, keep that for yourself!

I've been playing minecraft for over a year now, and I don't think I've ever found enough diamonds to make a set of armour. Mind you, I don't specifically go out looking for them or strip mining, but still... So the only thing I have ever made are picks, which I only use to mine obsidian

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 04:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master of Squee
Elite - Post: 2833 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Relaxed

Wow that's a generous donation for a prize. We could also look at an entry free, let's say 1 diamond for example. Depending on how many people get involved that could amount to a nice "winner takes all" prize. And I don't think it's unreasonable to have an entry fee in an official competition.

Edit: It would solve Obsi' diamond armour drought if she won for instance

As for potential competition models (again depending on number) were you thinking traditional knock out/elimination style or a round robin/season approach with a leader board and final series. Either could be made to work, and as long as there was a referee games could occur when ever is convieient for the competitors involved.

Last edited by Hoathy; 14th March 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Hoathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 04:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master of Squee

Relaxed

Or a third idea (sorry for double posting, my phone is playing up):

Have an ongoing leader board with a challenge model of play where rankings are adjusted by recent performance. Think a cross between golf handicapps and Starcraft laddering. You simply throw down a challenge and get rewarded for beating higher ranked players. This idea would take some fleshing out but nothing a bit of casual math/spreadsheeting couldn't solve.
Old 14th March 2012, 04:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9207

As I said initially, how any competitions are run would be up to the Spleef officer to work out. In fact whether there are actually competitions or just a time for a social spleef get-together (or both) is up to them.

And I wouldn't recommend entry fees etc. or else you will not encourage people joining it. Later perhaps, but not initially. The prize that Akira is willing to donate is great. Again, once we have a spleef officer we can consider whether prizes can be spawned or not (as was done for treasure in the treasure hunts and Australia Day event).

So the key is having an spleef officer. I am after volunteers, rather than trying to nudge specific people.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 06:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master of Squee

Relaxed

Fair enough about the entry fee, and I agree. I was getting all excited and thinking ahead to a major spleef torny. On that note I'd be happy to volunteer, sounds like a fun job really. But if Espeesh is also keen I'll defer given his multiple nominations and amazing stadium building skills.
Old 14th March 2012, 07:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2759

Innocent

Well, I'd say volunteering puts you ahead of nominees!
Also considering this post has been active a while and your the first (with some great ideas to boot) to put your hand up, I'd be happy to have you take the lead on this!

How 'bout posting up an end date for volunteers Sor?

/me races of to get some spandex spleefing gear!
Old 14th March 2012, 09:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

There's nothing wrong with having 2 spleef officers, if we have more than one person interested. So I'd say volunteer away, if Espesh is interested, you can both have the role.

I too would not like to see an entry fee, especially not diamonds, or it could dissuade people from joining in.

Last edited by Obsi; 15th March 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 11:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 632

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
I've been playing minecraft for over a year now, and I don't think I've ever found enough diamonds to make a set of armour. Mind you, I don't specifically go out looking for them or strip mining, but still... So the only thing I have ever made are picks, which I only use to mine obsidian
As soon as I've been able and had a safe place to store it when on a new server/map I go redstone and diamond hunting. I only hoard the good stuff. That always puts me behind in builds though...
Old 15th March 2012, 10:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9207

I like the idea of a pair of officers to help each others' time commitments etc. I have sent Espesh a PM asking if he wants to get involved with Hoathy.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote