Old 20th March 2012, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9122

Default suggestions for the rules/traditions

King or Queen of Spleef? We have a lot of women playing on our servers and I assure you, they can be just as competitive as the guys when it comes to other games. I see no reason why this shouldn't be any different when it comes to Spleef.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th March 2012, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Div. Vice Captain
Wildstar
Elite - Post: 2580 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Lurking

Updated

Wasn't being gender specific when I wrote "King of Spleef". Sorry for anyone offended
Old 20th March 2012, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

No offence here

So the basic rules are? How many players? I know the idea is to dig the ground out from under someone to make them fall and the last person standing is the winner... is there anything more than that?

I think I've seen versions using different coloured wool for different players and you can only knock out your colour wool... we could always work in a version of that (we could get a sheep farm happening to get the coloured wools - I have purple and cyan sheep myself, I'm happy to grow other coloured wools if you need)

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

That's prettymuch it Obsi!

The number of players depends on how you want to play, 1v1, teams (2v2 or more) or an all on all kind of mayhem.

Intentional contact isn't allowed, your just really aiming to make them fall and be the last one standing.

Placing blocks is illegal also and anyone knocked out can't intefere with the on-going game.

If more than one player is left but they cannot reach each other to continue play, the player with the most blocks around them is the winner.

There are alot of variations;

• No jumping, where the ceiling is limited and players can't jump across the holes that are made.
  • Multiple layers that get harder or easier as you progress down the levels/surface. Most rules also allow the players that fall through to still destroy the blocks above them.
  • Mazes, built onto the surface with wide lanes and places to loop back around.
There's also alot of house-rules and some other craziness like playing in the dark and lighting the surface on fire.

I like your idea with the different colours, the pattern would have to be quite random but also quite evenly spread to be fair on all. That would be fun for a team event.

For things like the maze, different levels and some of the more destruction orientated ones we'd have to build another arena, but it wouldn't be hard to knock something up if even only temporary.

Starting the sheep farm is a good idea as theres also another project I'd like to try out in the same "fun park" area that would require some.
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cheeky

Cool, let me know what colour wools you need and I'll get a farm happening near my place.

Lots of variations then that I didn't know about, that's cool - it will be good to give them all a test

Old 22nd March 2012, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

What is the acceptable equipment list? I assume that all players get to use a shovel, but are there limits? Iron, gold, diamond? Obviously, we wouldn't want to carry too much for fear of losing it.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Div. Vice Captain
Wildstar
Elite - Post: 2580 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Lurking

I'll need confirmation from Espesh, but usually easy to say no inventory except 1x iron shovel or something to that extent. Keeps it consistent. We will wait for a ruling from the boss
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Yeh Iron shovel is what's played with. The surface is snow so it breaks in seconds and iron is all you need, anything else is a bit of a waste of resource when just spleefing with it. There are a few shovels provided, I'll make some more when I can so we don't run out.

You can bring what you want to the arena, there's chests to store your inventory in placed around the outside and other chests containing the shovels and snow you'll need to play near them.

Everything you'll need to play will be provided and everyone that plays will have the same equipment to keep them on an even playing field.

I'd suggest clearing your inventory unless your feeling lucky as spleef at the arena ends in the loss of life of the loser of the match.

Most of the deaths involved will probably destroy your inventory or prohibit you from retrieving it, wich is also why we suggest just playing with iron shovels provided.
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cheeky

Should we use iron shovels, or just make a ton of stone ones? We can always start each round with a new shovel if durability is an issue, and it's a lot "cheaper"...