The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Spleef Space (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/spleef-space/)
-   -   ANNOUNCEMENT: Season 1 and the official Spleef Grand Opening Night (March 31st) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/spleef-space/422951-announcement-season-1-official-spleef-grand-opening-night-march-31st.html)

Hoathy 23rd March 2012 10:49 PM

ANNOUNCEMENT: Season 1 and the official Spleef Grand Opening Night (March 31st)

The time has final come for the inaugural TOG Spleef season to begin. The season official begins April 1st, but to celebrate we are inviting you all to attend the opening ceremony on Saturday March 31st, kicking off around 2000hrs AEDT (1700hrs AWST).

Our vision for Spleef on the Frontier server is to run in "seasons" of roughly 2-3 months, with your progress being tracked on the leader board. You will be ranked according to your points (initially calculated as total wins x win-loss ratio, based only on games from the given season), with your total wins and losses on the leader board reflecting your lifelong achievements.

"How do I compete in an official game?" I hear you asking. Simple; as long as there are more than 2 other people online you can arrange a game. There are no restrictions on when, number of people in a game, mode of game or the total number of games played in an session. All we ask is that you have a referee to adjudicate (to be decided upon by those playing as he/she who will settle disputes and record matches - no rule saying they can't get involved as well). Simply record the results of your session (the result of every game and who was playing) and PM them to me (Hoathy).

Alongside the Spleef season we will occasionally run some specific events. These may be in the form of a competition, challenge night or simply a pre-arranged (or impulsive) social night. All results from these competitions etc. will contribute to the ever running season.

To kick things off we are making all results from the Opening Night OFFICIAL! So take advantage of the opportunity to get down to the Spleef Stadium and rack up some wins.

Finally, what is it you're all fighting for? Well that would be Bazz's Golden Shovel. This is a much sort after item, and if you win it you will hold it for an entire season. Thats a lot of showing off.

Get excited!!

Hoathy 24th March 2012 02:52 PM

In the meantime please feel free to sharpen your shovels and Spleef skills with a few practice matches. The Spleef stadium is easily accessed through the nether portal system.

Sorontar 24th March 2012 03:42 PM

Hoathy has put this on the calendar - http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/calendar.php?c=42 . Be sure to check there occasionally if you can't find the thread for any event, past or present.

Sorontar

Sorontar 24th March 2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoathy (Post 3473880)
You will be ranked according to your points (initially calculated as total wins x win-loss ratio, based only on games from the given season), with your total wins and losses on the leader board reflecting your lifelong achievements.

"How do I compete in an official game?" I hear you asking. Simple; as long as there are more than 2 other people online you can arrange a game. There are no restrictions on when, number of people in a game, mode of game or the total number of games played in an session. All we ask is that you have a referee to adjudicate (to be decided upon by those playing as he/she who will settle disputes and record matches - no rule saying they can't get involved as well). Simply record the results of your session (the result of every game and who was playing) and PM them to me (Hoathy).

Sounds like a good way to handle things, especially since fairplay is expected of all Toggers. It makes pickup fights count and doesn't disadvantage those from the Americas or Europe (or WA :) ).

Sorontar

Obsi 25th March 2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Saturday March 31st, kicking off around 2000hrs AEDT (1700hrs AWST).
Gah, you had to pick it to be when Earth Hour is on! Normally we shut down the computers and everything (for several hours), but I'll make an exception this year and leave the PC on and just turn the lights off :P

Hoathy 26th March 2012 12:51 PM

We can always start eariler or later if that helps?

Obsi 26th March 2012 01:23 PM

no no, that's fine. I think earlier would be more difficult for people to make... and too much later would have the old farts wanting to go to bed before it's over ;)

Bazz 26th March 2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsi (Post 3475939)
....... and too much later would have the old farts wanting to go to bed before it's over ;)

Or some people may have had a few to many Mohitos, and thus render their ability to spleef (or even use words) at a serious disadvantage!

Hoathy 30th March 2012 04:53 PM

The countdown is on for the greatest Spleef event in history. Tomorrow night sometime around 2000hrs ADST (give or take) we will get season 1 underway in style.

See you all on the Spleef!!

Hoathy 31st March 2012 11:55 PM

Thanks to everyone who came down for the season 1 opening event! I'll update the ladder and recent results shortly. ElBazzito's uniform was hard to pass up as the highlight of the night, can't believe I forgot to get some screenshots of the night again!

Don't forget that now that the season is open you can PM or post the results of any (and all) games of Spleef you play and I'll add it to the running leaderboard. All I need to know is who played and who won.

Happy Spleefing!