TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Star Citizen (Public)

Star Citizen (Public) An space sim from Chris Roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th August 2013, 01:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 306

I like the hornet and I plan to get one, just like I plan to get a 300 series, maybe not LTI on either though.. we will see.

This statement however is hilarious to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhammer View Post
those ugly fans on the front keep the targeting systems cool
Where to start... How about here, what exactly are the fans blowing across the targeting systems in the depths of space? Hopes? Dreams?
Quote:
Do you think that's air you're breathing now? - Morpheus
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Aegis: Retaliator | Anvil: Super Hornet F7C-M | BIRC: Merchantman (x2) | MISC: Freelancer, Starfarer Tanker (x2) | Origin: 325a | RSI: Constellation
MarcT is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 7th August 2013, 08:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 887

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcT View Post

Where to start... How about here, what exactly are the fans blowing across the targeting systems in the depths of space? Hopes? Dreams?
You seem to have forgotten that combat also takes place in the atmosphere

watch this clip

On a side note in space there is no sound but it would be a hell of a boring game without it don't you agree
Old 7th August 2013, 11:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

That was just a "commercial" for the Origin 300 series. Its not game footage, its just a rendered video to show off the ship. Atmospheric flight will not be a part of the game, at least on day 1. It might be introduced at a later point however.

This is a quote from Ben Lesnick, one of the game developers. It was posted on CIG's own forums.
Quote:
In fact, Chris' take on atmospheric flight is one of the things that convinced ME to trust Chris Roberts early on! Because it was something he specifically ruled out -- in the midst of talking about all the amazing features, things that seemed impossible... he was VERY clear that atmospheric flight couldn't be part of the initial game. That it was beyond the scope of his vision right now, although he thought it was cool and wanted to do it someday. Which is to say that Star Citizen wasn't going to be all "that's cool we'll do that" -- it had a specific idea.
I suppose you could say, that at some point we will get atmospheric flight, so the fans will play in then. And you are right. However, because its not there from the inception, thats why some people hate the nose fans,

However if you look at the Connie, it has several turbines hidden behind some doors to assist with landing and takeoff in atmosphere. so the idea of fans on the ship is not unique. I just don't thing it has anything to do with cooling the targeting computers.

Aegis: Retaliator | Anvil: Super Hornet F7C-M | BIRC: Merchantman (x2) | MISC: Freelancer, Starfarer Tanker (x2) | Origin: 325a | RSI: Constellation

Last edited by MarcT; 7th August 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 8th August 2013, 04:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 20

The Fans on the front, taken from this page of the website. Unless the release of the Hornet stats say otherwise, I assume the fans were the intakes to draw in the hydrogen.

HOW ENGINES WORK
All spacecraft performance is based on a linear series of engine components which can be upgraded in thousands of possible combinations. Pilots will treat their engine systems like their PCs, adding modifiers to increase the performance, upgrading the engine as though it were a CPU and even overclocking them (and risking flame-outs!).

Intakes
Intakes are the hydrogen ram scoops on the front of the spacecraft which fuel it by gathering spaceborne hydrogen.. Upgrades alter the effectiveness and the profile of the vehicle; the more effectively a ship takes in fuel the more efficient its engines. The tradeoff is that, unless countermeasures are installed, this also increases the radar signature. The appearance of the ship is altered as well: more primitive intakes look like physical fan blades, others glow different colors as heat capacity increases.

Last edited by Tarkow; 8th August 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Tarkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 12:34 AM   #25 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25461

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
That was just a "commercial" for the Origin 300 series. Its not game footage, its just a rendered video to show off the ship. Atmospheric flight will not be a part of the game, at least on day 1. It might be introduced at a later point however.

It was confirmed by the devs that the 300 series commercial was made using in game assets. I think it was during one of the the wingman's hanger episodes.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 01:10 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
It was confirmed by the devs that the 300 series commercial was made using in game assets. I think it was during one of the the wingman's hanger episodes.
That could be interpreted any number of ways. The game is being done in CryEngine, it could just mean that the commercial was made in CryEngine and the models were what is being designed for S42/SC.
CIG's official stance is that there will not be atmospheric flight on release. It however, could come later.