Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Star Citizen (Public)

Star Citizen (Public) An space sim from Chris Roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th July 2013, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4348

Default Exploration ideas

OK they really haven't come out with much on the particulars of exploration and I got to thinking what would I like to see. This is just my wish list

1. Exploration should contain a mini-game element
    1. Something that was not extremely twitch based but skill based
    2. The better you did on the mini-game should give you bonuses on what you found
    3. Gear you had should either give you additional range or make the mini-game easier
  2. Exploration jump points should be based off of the risk of base system
    1. If you are scanning in a zone that is lawless you should get bonuses to your findings
    2. The best jump points should be only found in the most dangerous areas
    3. Exploration from safe areas should be viable but the easy big pay day jump points just not there. It will take time and work to either get the jump points or extract enough materials.
  3. Static Jump Points
    1. These would be ultra rare jump points to large unnamed systems.
    2. The ability to claim the system by placing a player made structures.
    3. The system would have deadly NPC spawns until they system was claimed.
    4. NPC would attack the structure randomly to destroy it after construction, but not often enough to make mining and industry impossible
    5. They would require largish fleets to hold against these NPC invasions and the owning fleets leadership would get a notice that an attack was coming randomly in next 24 hours.
    6. Other fleets could destroy or capture the structure.
    7. If destroyed the NPCs respawn and the system goes neutral until a structure is rebuilt.
    8. The resources would respawn and have a sufficient mix that most of industries needs could be done from the joint point system.
    9. Bonuses to crafting speeds and/or reduction in raw materials to build items from inside one of these jump points.
    10. You could build up the bases to provided additional bonuses and defense turrets.
    11. The jump point would have a static location to a lawless area but additional jump points could randomly jump into system to allow for sneak attacks if found.
    12. The random jump points in have a 24 hour life span after found. They rate at which they show up is dependent on the number of players in the jump point. More players more often they show up. No more frequent than once every 3 days and no more rare than once every month.
  4. Large Random Jump Point
    1. Rare and dangerous
    2. More suited for large fleets to harvest and move on. Think multiple Connies, refuelers, gatherers, and escourts (ie raid content 20-40 players)
    3. Locations to include asteroid belts, gas giant rings, ort clouds, and nebula
    4. Have a large but limited amount of resources
    5. no player made structures allowed
    6. After the site is first jumped into they start to decay and will be gone in 24 hours
    7. Can only be found in lawless areas
  5. Medium Random Jump Points
    1. Same as the large version just more geared towards 10-20 players
    2. Could be a few asteroids and some NPC guards or maybe a NPC structure in a nebula
    3. These can be found in medium and lawless areas
  6. Small Random Jump Points
    1. Same as the other versions just geared toward 3-5 man
    2. Think of them as a ship adrift with pirates around it type of thing
    3. Can be found in the safest locations
  7. Solo Random Jump Points
    1. Solo version of same.
    2. can be found in all locations

What this does it pushes people out of the safe zones to make money on exploration and offers a PvE environment in more full on PvP zones. I would think that at the top end very large fleets would be needed to take and hold the jump points and they would use them to base their activities out of. Since they are static creation RSI could limit the amount as needed but I would think less than .5% of the total population of the game and maybe even lower.

You want them rare enough that fleets are trying to find the random jump points into them for the purpose of sneak attacks. If they had only 1 Static map and 3 of each of the randoms it would be enough at launch to keep everyone happy.

Alright enough random musings. Hope you enjoyed the wall of text.

Last edited by Ludy; 17th July 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Ludy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th July 2013, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Citizen
Deadly - Post: 1543 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cool

Great list & read Ludy ! Not sure that all would be addressed though.

Here is my hope for exploration: It's from Evochron Mercenary: 7 min long but I think if something like that could happen I would be happy:

Join us! Star Citizen - TOG Fleet――――――――EVE Online - TOG Alliance
Characters: Wenceslaus; Morava ――――――――21 days free ΞṾΞ trial
Wenceslaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 516 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Chatty

For the team that will be exploring....I would like to see a grid laid out with sectors to explore. That way, everyone are not duplicating efforts.

I'll take sector 20,0,0 to 20,0,2. This takes me 2 hours of real time to explore all that is included. I record what I found/didn't find. And pick up another assignment.

TQQdles™
Star Citizen: FriendlyFireTarget
Defiance: NA Server:
Dolnor EU Server: Noldor
GW2: Yak's Bend
- Dolnor Numbwit, Elondra, Festoon Turnbuckle
LOTRO: Gladden - Dolnor Numwit, Elondra Numbwit
SWTOR: Dolnor, Elondra, Noldor

Dolnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Craft Leader
Elder Scrolls Online
Deadly - Post: 2425

Dead

The real question is... what loots do you carry back?..... Just a little curious

Back making stuff blow up in space
Blue_Talon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 411

I think someone has a virus.

Aegis: Retaliator, Reclaimer | Anvil: Super Hornet F7C-M | BIRC: Merchantman | MISC: Starfarer Tanker (x2) | RSI: Constellation: Andromeda, Taurus, Aquila, Phoenix
MarcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Citizen

Cool

Reported. All 47 posts across forums done today. Spambot?

Old 12th September 2013, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Dangerous - Post: 976

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenceslaus View Post
Great list & read Ludy ! Not sure that all would be addressed though.

Here is my hope for exploration: It's from Evochron Mercenary: 7 min long but I think if something like that could happen I would be happy:

Very cool. Hope it is too.

Seek always the path of 'right' and truth, unencumbered by bias or personal interest, tempered by humanity and mercy. Jon C/StellarRaptor in S.C.
Jon C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 91

I just wonder how participation in beta is going to affect exploration. unless they decide to scramble the entire universe upon game release, everyone is already going to know the fastest way to get to the outer limits. There'll be a day 1 race to get out there and get unnamed systems found.

Would be awesome if systems were still being discovered years after release, but I can see it happening unless there is a completely random element to exploration.

ie

50% System A
25% System B
20% System C
4% System D
.9% System E
.05% System F
ad infinitum

eventually someone will discover that .0000000000001% system, but it might take millions of random sequences.
Luddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1172

Not sure but I thought the plan was for Squadron 42 to be used for the beta and SC not being available until launch. No source for this, just my vague recollection, so don't quote me.
Andru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Citizen

Cool

As i can recall in one of the Chris's appearance on Hanger he described the exploration as follows:

On week 4 new jump point would be added - it may take week or more to discover it - new system opens with all associated dynamic events/economy etc. On week 7 another point will be added etc.

So it is I believe very much what for example GW2 team is doing: continually adding new elements and dynamic events in the verse....

So the "discovery" may not be possible in beta

Wence out