Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Star Citizen (Public)

Star Citizen (Public) An space sim from Chris Roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd July 2013, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Citizen / EvE Online
Deadly - Post: 1331 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Busy
Default Dogfight training: Call to arms

Even great peripherals or dogfighting gained from single player games would not help against skilled and well organised enemy! Star citizen TOG fleet needs training grounds for our 50+ pilots. Commanders need to rise from these trainings and team communication need to be developed.

Our one option would be to go and try some of the Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) option. In my opinion that is just too far from what we are looking for: you need to learn the aircrafts/get games/install multiplayer options….

The other I really think would serve us great is War Thunder . Here is a good youtube to give you an idea.

Not only this is very good MMO but also TOG has its own division with regular events, videos and great forum. I suggest we join them!

TOG War Thunder Forum

Their great thread on 10 rules of air fighting.

Any opinions? I know that some of us are already playing WT. Maybe they can tell us more ?

Join us! Star Citizen - TOG Fleet――――――――EVE Online - TOG Alliance
Characters: Wenceslaus; Morava ――――――――21 days free ΞṾΞ trial
Wenceslaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd July 2013, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge
Deadly - Post: 1133 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

I'd rather fire up a game like Allegiance or Independance War 1/2 as they both allow for Newtonian flight with fly-by-wire control as we can expect in SC.

Something like War Thunder will help for situational awareness but treating your ship like an aircraft in SC will get you killed if your opponent uses newton against you

Not to say this isn't a good idea but I would strongly recommend people try some advanced space sims to get familiar with Newtonian flight models otherwise you're going to be at quite a disadvantage.

ArcheAge :: Nesox
Foxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
I'd rather fire up a game like Allegiance or Independance War 1/2 as they both allow for Newtonian flight with fly-by-wire control as we can expect in SC.

Something like War Thunder will help for situational awareness but treating your ship like an aircraft in SC will get you killed if your opponent uses newton against you

Not to say this isn't a good idea but I would strongly recommend people try some advanced space sims to get familiar with Newtonian flight models otherwise you're going to be at quite a disadvantage.
A huge +1. I have been looking for something a bit more modern that would mimic what Star Citizen will have. Not that War Thunder is bad. Quite the opposite it is quite good and would familiarize people with some of the lingo and teamwork involved. The problem is on how the ship flies.

I would still encourage people to try it out but also a space sim such as what Foxman put up.
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain

Busy
Thumbs up

I agree with both of you - space Sims such with Newtonian physics are good for skills - I mentioned them in other thread. But we need to develop also teamwork and have fun with other TOGs while waiting. And commanders are not only skill combatants but also leaders with tactical skills. All this can TW offer.

Last edited by Wenceslaus; 22nd July 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Dangerous - Post: 751

Breezy

Although I haven't played in a while, Star Conflict, which doesn't have inertia (Newtonian physics) is fun, we could get used to grouping in a space setting and it has a lot of PvP. It's a free to play game with a store. So, no initial $ output.

Again, I haven't played it in a little while but throwing it into the hat.

Seek always the path of 'right' and truth, unencumbered by bias or personal interest, tempered by humanity and mercy. Jon C/StellarRaptor in S.C.
Jon C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Division Captain
Battlefield
Elite - Post: 2961 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Yeehaw

Evochron Mercenary is the latest Newtonian physics game engine I have seen for space sims.

The game is complex and large and the dogfighting can be difficult.

I understand this game is multiplayer although I never played with others, I came to the game late.

This may be an option.

"Adeo Vita. Adeo Starjack."
Starjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain

Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjack View Post
Evochron Mercenary is the latest Newtonian physics game engine I have seen for space sims.

The game is complex and large and the dogfighting can be difficult.

I understand this game is multiplayer although I never played with others, I came to the game late.

This may be an option.
For these reasons (complex game with steep learning curve and apparently frustrating dogfighting) I was not sure if to include it. The concept looks good thought and from the youtube I saw I was intrigued. Shame I/we missed on steam sale, now is back @ $24.99.

Anyone knows how the multiplayer option works ? Do we need private server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
Although I haven't played in a while, Star Conflict, which doesn't have inertia (Newtonian physics) is fun, we could get used to grouping in a space setting and it has a lot of PvP. It's a free to play game with a store. So, no initial $ output.

Looks like fun. I think I may give it a try. Better to be in space than in old Russian planes

Last edited by Wenceslaus; 23rd July 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1894 TOG Legend

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post

Downloading now
Old 24th July 2013, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain

Busy

Looks like the Evochron Mercenary has running servers so we could jump on & play together as well as practice Newtonian physics in a single player mode:

From their forum:

StarWraith 3D Games Forum

not bad; no bad.....

EDIT: Found servers info
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3744

& even Australian server !? : http://www.progames.com.au/servers/evochron.html

Last edited by Wenceslaus; 24th July 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12th August 2013, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 20

I'm keen on getting something to practice in before SC comes out. Is evochron something that will give me a good understanding o space combat and are other toggers playing it? Don't want to grab something and find out others went a different way haha :P
Boulevard is offline   Reply With Quote