Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Star Citizen (Public)

Star Citizen (Public) An space sim from Chris Roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th August 2013, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Average - Post: 137

Cool
Default Looking for a good multi-purpose 2 crew ship

Heya guys,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already, but I thought I would ask for some feedback anyway

DeeVa and I are looking for a ship that we can crew with the both of us to do multi-purpose stuff like exploration, shipping and just general cruising about.
Not really interested in PvP piracy or anything like that, however if there is some PvE options for that we may get involved occasionally.
(I'm kinda hoping for the ability to do interdiction PvE missions like you could in Star Wars Galaxies, but that won't be our main focus)

At the moment, I reckon the Freelancer is the pick of the bunch as it has reasonable upgrade capability and also has a turret for defense.

Both DeeVa and I have the Bounty Hunter LTI pack, so we both have 300i's for single ship stuff and support roles and money is a factor in the decision.

I would love to hear from everyone else on their thoughts.

Thanks in advance and Cheers,

Lord_Grax (and DeeVa)

Old 21st August 2013, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4404 TOG Gold Level Supporter

From the descriptions of the 2 seat ships I've seen:
  • Cutlass - System Defense / Piracy
  • Freelancer - Long-Range Exploration / Hevy Mercantile
  • Gladiator - Bomber
  • Starfarer - Tanker/Refuler

I'd have to say the Freelancer sounds like the best bet for what you described, with double the cargo space of the Cutlass or the Gladiator. However, the Cutlass has a couple more mod slots (12 vs. 10) and double the maneuvering thrusters (nothing says you have to be a pirate if you own one). That said, the Freelancer has a Tarsus Leaper Jump Engine. Discounting all that, the Starfarer has a huge cargo bay and probably never needs to worry about running out of fuel.

As in all sci-fi starship games - when all else fails, make your decision purely on aesthetics.

Last edited by Zhul; 21st August 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Zhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 04:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 259

Angelic

The MISC Starfarer Tanker Club!

The best looking trader refueler 2 seat crew ship, after the freelancer.Having a Freelancer, it's then, either towards a Starfarer, or since you mentioned the magic word "multipurpose", that fits like a glove towards the Constellation(4 seated) but much better with 2 and a couple of npc to man the turrets.

Star Citizen: Thedor MMORPG: TyrianPrime, , EvE:Tyrian Prime
Tyrian Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 96

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Grax View Post
Heya guys,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already, but I thought I would ask for some feedback anyway

DeeVa and I are looking for a ship that we can crew with the both of us to do multi-purpose stuff like exploration, shipping and just general cruising about.
Not really interested in PvP piracy or anything like that, however if there is some PvE options for that we may get involved occasionally.
(I'm kinda hoping for the ability to do interdiction PvE missions like you could in Star Wars Galaxies, but that won't be our main focus)

At the moment, I reckon the Freelancer is the pick of the bunch as it has reasonable upgrade capability and also has a turret for defense.

Both DeeVa and I have the Bounty Hunter LTI pack, so we both have 300i's for single ship stuff and support roles and money is a factor in the decision.

I would love to hear from everyone else on their thoughts.

Thanks in advance and Cheers,

Lord_Grax (and DeeVa)
Think the Freelancer might be what you are looking for but if you get a Connie and I'll crew for you when i can

Last edited by Avonus; 21st August 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Avonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 118

Mellow

Quote:
when all else fails, make your decision purely on aesthetics.
This is female method of choice 101.... first of all, does it look cool. Secondly, see first criteria. Sensible doesn't come in to it
Old 21st August 2013, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4404 TOG Gold Level Supporter

It worked for me in EVE Online.

In fact, it worked in several other MMOs as well. Ahh Cryptic... your character creators are unmatched (City of Heroes/Villains (RIP), Champions Online, Star Trek Online).
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 96

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeVa View Post
This is female method of choice 101.... first of all, does it look cool. Secondly, see first criteria. Sensible doesn't come in to it
Which was why raiding with you was so much fun ......... "Oh sparklieeeeees"
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2616

Cynical

Freelancer is the ship you are after.

The Starfarer and Gladiator are both limited ships that are not available for prepurchase (you can however buy them in game once it goes live - they also MAY be re-released for limited time purchase at some point in the future but you can't count on that.)

The Cutlass is a 1.5 person ship, only need 1 person to fly it, the 2nd person is just a passenger/border.

Outside that you could always breed a couple of gunners and go for a Connie.
| Aegis: Retaliator
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R
| RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cool

Thanks for the responses guys

Cheers,

G
Old 25th August 2013, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cool

To be honest, I would love to put down some cash for a Constellation and be able to have the options for some additional friends to join in our space adventures, that would be awesome
But, as DeeVa said to me last night, "I find it hard to justify spending an additional $220 on getting something for a game that isnt even released yet, especially considering you will be able to buy it with in game credits eventually, and the fact that some unforseen disaster could occur and the game may not be completed. "

I understand her rationale, but the space pilot in me doesnt want to hear logic. It would be absolutely awesome to get, especially with LTI available at the moment.
Perhaps once the hangar mod is released this week I may have better luck convincing her.
Love u darling........