TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Star Citizen (Public)

Star Citizen (Public) An space sim from Chris Roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th August 2013, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Average - Post: 137

Cool
Default Star Citizen hits $16 Million

Just saw this on RSI's Facebook page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts Space Industries

$16 Million!

Greetings Citizens,
We have just hit $16 million in pledges for Star Citizen! The entire Cloud Imperium team is humbled at your dedication to our game, space sims and the PC. With the imminent release of the first Hangar Module we are going to show our dedication to sharing game development with our fans by giving them the earliest ever look at a AAA game… and with this new funding achievement you have shown your dedication to this project once again!
With this milestone you have unlocked the following stretch goals. You will learn more about each in a more detailed post later in the week!
  • Arena mode: The next generation of Wing Commander’s TrainSim allows pilots to test out their combat skills against friends or strangers in a simulation. Gain valuable combat experience without the downside of losing your ship in the game universe! Place bets on competitions across the galaxy.
  • Every pledger who backs before $16 million will receive a laser pistol. Keep your ship safe from boarders with a pistol by your side.
We are also now pleased to reveal the $18 million goals:
  • Exclusive star system for pre-launch backers. Only players who support the game before its
    launch will receive the computer coordinates needed to allow their jump drives to access this system.

Bring on the Laser pistol pew pew

Old 1st September 2013, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 307

not sure anyone noticed.. but they are at 17.156 million now, still havent let us know what 19 million is yet.

Quote:
Every pledger who backs before $17 million will receive a ship upgrade package containing an engine modifier.
Star Citizen will feature an additional flyable ship class, the battlecruiser.

Aegis: Retaliator | Anvil: Super Hornet F7C-M | BIRC: Merchantman (x2) | MISC: Freelancer, Starfarer Tanker (x2) | Origin: 325a | RSI: Constellation
MarcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 04:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 307

Literally just hit 19m a few mins ago, $19,000,334. I wish I was Chris Roberts.... I know hes not getting this money, but he has to be making something from all this.

Aegis: Retaliator | Anvil: Super Hornet F7C-M | BIRC: Merchantman (x2) | MISC: Freelancer, Starfarer Tanker (x2) | Origin: 325a | RSI: Constellation
MarcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Citizen
Dangerous - Post: 994 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Busy

Truth to be told $19mil is not really that much for AAA game. Apparently the original estimate was $25mil. Looking at the Hangar episodes and their HQ I think Chris took very "down to earth" approach and he is not splashing money. That's good because he would need them to make it to the finishing line.

I think instead of pistol or starting planet the good type of investment may be more realistic 3D scan & movements that we currently have in the Hanger:

Multi-Sky 3D Scan Tools | Infinite-Realities ( Hope we are all adults here )

Wence out

Join us! Star Citizen - TOG Fleet
Wenceslaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Deadly - Post: 1444

Bored

Wence they already have a green screen filming studio (it was one of the earlier goals). The existing pilot movements we have are probably mostly first draft stuff and I expect they will improve over time (as will everything else). 20 million adds planetary combat on foot so I expect that will see a lot of the next million spent on improved character animation.
Old 17th September 2013, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4190

If they didn't make another cent in pledges they would still be in a great bargaining position with any publisher. Think if they went to any of the big guys and said "We made 19mil off of our own hype. We need 6mil more to finish the game. Want to be cut in for a slice of the pie? No you get no control just a repayment of your investment and a percentage of the net profit. So you want in or do I go ask another?"

Saying that I really don't think they will need it. If they sell the limited time ships once more with LTI during a big song and dance they will get 2mil from that alone. Add to that say 1 more ship for LTI and you likely will be at 25mil. I know I would be tempted to buy the Retaliatetor of it went back on sale and I am only one of hundreds if not thousands thinking that.
Old 17th September 2013, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 391

Cool

I'd also go for one more ship. I was thinking out of the current ones the Pirate one or the Avenger. But I'd like a fuel tanker if that is made available again.

So, I agree with Ludy and think that money will still come in. Maybe not as quickly as in the beginning as I figure most should have heard the kickstarter by now and bought something.

Jon C - StellarRaptor in Star Citizen, Ezron in LOTRO
Seek always the path of 'right' and truth, unencumbered by bias or personal interest, tempered by humanity and mercy. Be humble and unwavering in your commitment to people and the ideals you live by.
Jon C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4190

I still talk to people that have no clue about it. Then I run into some guy who spent $5k. Most people don't follow game news sites or care about kickstarter.

I think right now it's still a fairly limited amount of folks that have heard about it. maybe 1/5th of the folks that might play it at some point.
Old 17th September 2013, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Deadly - Post: 1444

Bored

They still have to release constellation, freelancer and hornet variants before the LTI period ends (which I'm pretty sure they said they'd do). There's also the chance of Cutlass variants. I'm sure releasing variants would pick up a decent amount of money. Although pricing would have to be right. I mean it's already $250 for a constellation, $25 extra for a variant I can see, $100 for a variant I'm not so sure about. But yeah, they still have a lot of options available to raise funds (live stream on 10/10 I'm betting). So they'll pretty safely make the original "full funding" goal.
By "full funding" i mean have enough money to complete CR's original vision for the project with no need to cut anything out.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 347

Chatty

All they have to do is release a brochure and commercial for the Hornet and its variations...and Star Citizen will be hitting 21 mil funding in 3 weeks! -)

TQQdles™
Defiance: NA Server:
Dolnor EU Server: Noldor
GW2: Yak's Bend
- Dolnor Numbwit, Elondra, Festoon Turnbuckle
LOTRO: Gladden - Dolnor Numwit, Elondra Numbwit
SWTOR: Dolnor, Elondra, Noldor

Dolnor is offline   Reply With Quote