TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Star Citizen (Public)

Star Citizen (Public) An space sim from Chris Roberts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st September 2013, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 397

Cool
Default Money Cap and Store selling Stuff Pre-Alpha

Hi folks:

Wondering what you all think of the announcement of selling stuff to us and of the money cap in-game when it releases where we will not be allowed to get above a certain amount of money.

Not that I really will get to that level of in-game money anyway because I usually am mostly broke in-game but even so, I am a little irked that in an open sandbox which has not even hit Alpha testing that they are already talking about limitations on said "open sandbox".

I understand the issue about Gold Farmers, etc., and assure you I am not one - as I said, broke most of the time. However, I don't believe this is the way of avoiding that.

Also, can't get over how it is pre-Alpha and they are inviting me to buy decorations for a Hanger that is not even done yet being drawn/rendered. Kind of makes me feel like they want me to buy in-game money with RL $ and I kind of feel that I spent enough $ on several ships. I know, they are not holding a gun to my head and forcing me to buy but again... it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth as a backer of the game.

What do you guys think?

Jon C - StellarRaptor in Star Citizen, Ezron in LOTRO
Seek always the path of 'right' and truth, unencumbered by bias or personal interest, tempered by humanity and mercy. Be humble and unwavering in your commitment to people and the ideals you live by.
Jon C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st September 2013, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Deadly - Post: 1444

Bored

There's been discussion of it on the RSI forums. Personally I don't mine them doing it, but I do feel that the current prices are too high for decorations.
Old 1st September 2013, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 328

Many of the bigger ships will cost more than 150,000 UEC, so they can't possibly have an overall money cap at that level for the final game.

My understanding is that this cap is on how many in-game credits you can buy with real money prior to release, not on the total credits you can earn by playing the game (which will either be unlimited, or many orders of magnitude higher than this cap).
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Many of the bigger ships will cost more than 150,000 UEC, so they can't possibly have an overall money cap at that level for the final game.

My understanding is that this cap is on how many in-game credits you can buy with real money prior to release, not on the total credits you can earn by playing the game (which will either be unlimited, or many orders of magnitude higher than this cap).
Cromulent:

Okay, if I misunderstood, I'm glad. The following is what gave me that impression (bolded and underlined):

The key is that this all ties directly in to the finished game. The items you see for sale through the website are the ones that will be available galaxy-wide in a number of stores. Here you access it through an online store, Voyager Direct, which is a futuristic equivalent of Amazon.com. You may well need to travel across the galaxy to find an especially rare or advanced laser… but you will always be able to purchase a reliable Behring M3A from a local arms dealer. To prevent players from stockpiling credits and damaging their game experience, we are imposing a strict 25,000 UEC-per-day limit and an upper bound cap of 150,000 UEC on your ledger at any time. Similarly, you cannot melt these items as you would a game package: once you have purchased them they are considered ‘played with.’ When the game launches you will be able to sell them to NPCs or trade them to other players… and until then, they’re yours!

Again, if that is just amount of money you can purchase prior to the game being released, I am much relieved.

Seek always the path of 'right' and truth, unencumbered by bias or personal interest, tempered by humanity and mercy. Be humble and unwavering in your commitment to people and the ideals you live by.
Old 1st September 2013, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool

Just saw this in my e-mail this morning. It puts some of my fears about the store and the intent behind it to rest. I'm frankly glad as I'm really looking forward to this game and, even though I'm trying to keep my hopes for it at a manageable level, I felt a little upset by the release prior to any ability to earn in game money.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...241-17-Million