Old 17th September 2013, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1846

Happy
Default Lost

Hi.
Completely lost trying to make head or tail of this game.

Is it similar to EVE online?
Is the whole game going to be based on RL $ as in $'s for skills?
If you don't put up $ as in pledge are you are going to be at a major disadvantage once the game comes out?
Is it known when the game will go live?

Playing Archeage.
kiwiitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th September 2013, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge
Deadly - Post: 1358 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiitis View Post
Hi.
Completely lost trying to make head or tail of this game.

Is it similar to EVE online?
Is the whole game going to be based on RL $ as in $'s for skills?
If you don't put up $ as in pledge are you are going to be at a major disadvantage once the game comes out?
Is it known when the game will go live?
1. Yes and no. Similar scope in many ways perhaps but very different execution. Primarily first person flight and character movement (3P option), direct flight control of your ship, much more diverse customisation and loadouts for ships, multiplayer-crewed ships. Among other things.

2. No. It's a free-form game where your skill = your characters skill albeit modified by your ship and load out etc.

3. Not really. You'll be able to acquire all the same vessels in-game without stumping up real cash so the only real disadvantage at the start is the time investment.

4. All subject to change of course but the rough outline is this:

Hangar module - static environment to view your ships with limited interactivity, more development coming. (released)

Dogfight module - ~December 2013

Social/Planet module - ~Q2 2014

FPS/Boarding module - ~Q3 2014

Squadron 42 (SP module) - ~Q3/4 2014

Persistent Universe beta - ~Q1 2015

ArcheAge :: Nesox
Foxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 111

Lurking

More 2c to the above.

1. This game is more like Wing Commander/Free Lancer meets gigantic open universe (persistent and only partially explored), with dynamic cause and effect and living economy.

2. The game has been intended to be skill based. There will be some 'ship/equipment' based bias but the intent is anyone in a one man fighter will be able to down anyone else in any other one man fighter, it won't be a battle of the wallets or gear, ultimately it will be your ability to fly vs your opponents (Chris Roberts has openly stated his dislike for pay-to-win schemes). Any real money options are intended to be limited and non-balance affecting (there is real money purchasing both in pledges (their current fundraising period 'ends' November 26 2013, as to what will change after that date with their pledge system is unknown) and later in game as a continued revenue stream as the game will have a persistent universe requiring ongoing funding).

3. Pledge reward ships etc are mainly a 'leg up' on the starting options or something that is a bit special/harder to come by in the game (there isn't anything you can pledge for that won't have a directly comparable version in game).

4. The 'single player' Squadron 42 campaign is due to beta NEXT fall (2014) with the persistent universe planned to hit 2015, with an official release 'version 1.0' around Feb/Mar of 2015 according to road-map info that's been suggested.

The game has a fairly huge amount of info on their official site (though a bit awkward to navigate for straight forward game info). My best suggestion is to register on the site even if you don't pledge, check out the Comm-links (start way back at 11 months ago), and the Questions and Answers forum.

Flying, Driving, running... and crashing/stalling/dieing, all in a days work.
Dawthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1846

Happy

Thanks for the replies.

Playing Archeage.
kiwiitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4313

The major advantage I see in pledging is getting the full retail version of the game. I think the cheapest pledge is around $40. Seeing how this will be a high quality game with single and multi-player that is a pretty cheap price.

Oh and that is $40 US and no price hike for other countries. The lifetime insurance is a boon to be sure but the real world value is the game at the lower pledge levels. The higher level stuff is the leg up as people have said.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Citizen / EvE Online
Deadly - Post: 1422 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Busy

I think that even higher tiers of pledges are good investment.

Let's say that both games cost $60 - so being the gamers (as we usually are) we would get the games anyway for $120. The hype just before release would be unbearable.

With a starting ship (Aurora) it would take a significant effort to generate enough wealth to purchase 2nd tier ship.

From RSI specs link ( below): "Most pilots move up from an Aurora as quickly as their credit accounts allow…"

As it was said before it is more that certain that having only one 2nd tier ship may slow down your capability to advance & also enjoy all aspects of the game. ( but you could help & jump uon others ppl ships - not the same I think though)

So all in all I would suggest (if thinking that space sim is for you) to get 2 ships.

In my opinion your basic single ships options:
  • Exploration & lite trade: Freelancer (probably the most versatile ship)
  • Dogfight, PvP & support: 300i series to keep your options open or 325a for PvP ready
  • Serious PvP & piracy : Cutlass
  • Serious organised trade in group: Constellation

Ships List: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

More versatile 2 ships pledge:
  • Lite trade & dogfight/exploration: Digital Freelancer with extra 300i (( i.e. $110+$55 if using paypal & original backer cost)
  • More sinister and costly all PvP option would be Pirate Pack ($100) + Hornet ($110).

Cost sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EaEFaWHc#gid=0

Look here if you need to sort out the paypal option:

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...-want-lti.html

Wence out

Join us! Star Citizen - TOG Fleet――――――――EVE Online - TOG Alliance
Characters: Wenceslaus; Morava ――――――――21 days free ΞṾΞ trial

Last edited by Wenceslaus; 20th September 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Wenceslaus is offline   Reply With Quote