Old 16th November 2013, 12:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juganort View Post
This news is probably insignificant to a Battlefield player that's fortunate to have servers. To us suckers, yes, suckers, that buy COD every year, not having to deal with P2P for Titanfall is a huge selling point.
That has nothing to do with it tho. I don't want companies going p2p because then DICE might jump on that bandwagon too, and i'm screwed.

The point was that the OP told us absolutely nothing.

Buttersoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th November 2013, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttersoft View Post
T don't want companies going p2p because then DICE might jump on that bandwagon too, and i'm screwed.
Agreed no one likes P2P. Titanfall is not going P2P which is one of the main reasons behind the post. People want to know what type of servers new FPS games are going to be running on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKharma View Post
God that C4 is annoying
Juganort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 11:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7650 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juganort View Post
Agreed no one likes P2P. Titanfall is not going P2P which is one of the main reasons behind the post. People want to know what type of servers new FPS games are going to be running on.
yeah but there is nothing definitive in there about the PC platform. Quoting the relevant part of the article:
Quote:
I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you can’t get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

The Xbox group came back to us with a way for us to run all of these Titanfall dedicated servers and that lets us push games with more server CPU and higher bandwidth, which lets us have a bigger world, more physics, lots of AI, and potentially a lot more than that!
So XBOX sounds like it is going cloud dedi; PS3/4 = nothing mentioned. PC = nothing mentioned. One could make the assumption that PC might use the XBOX servers, but that it just an assumption. I haven't googled any further for something more definitive but that's my take on what was said here.

Seeing that COD Ghosts PC sales was 1% (?) of the pie, it's possible that we might get shafted on this title too. It makes sense to go where the money is as much as I hate to say it...

Last edited by SJ777; 16th November 2013 at 11:31 AM.
SJ777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3356

My cut and paste skills need some work perhaps? Looks like I've missed the bottom half of the article.

Here's the crucial part for PC gamers.

Quote:
Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
Here's the rest of the article

Quote:
So what is this Xbox Live Cloud stuff then?

Microsoft has a cloud service called Azure (it’s a real thing – you can go on their website right now and pay for servers and use them to run whatever you want). Microsoft realized that they could use that technology to solve our problem.

So they built this powerful system to let us create all sorts of tasks that they will run for us, and it can scale up and down automatically as players come and go. We can upload new programs for them to run and they handle the deployment for us. And they’ll host our game servers for other platforms, too! Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

But it’s not just for dedicated servers – Microsoft thought about our problem in a bigger way. Developers aren’t going to just want dedicated servers – they’ll have all kinds of features that need a server to do some kind of work to make games better. Look at Forza 5, which studies your driving style in order to create custom AI that behaves like you do. That’s totally different from what Titanfall uses it for, and it’s really cool! So it’s not accurate to say that the Xbox Live Cloud is simply a system for running dedicated servers – it can do a lot more than that.

How is this different from other dedicated servers?

With the Xbox Live Cloud, we don’t have to worry about estimating how many servers we’ll need on launch day. We don’t have to find ISPs all over the globe and rent servers from each one. We don’t have to maintain the servers or copy new builds to every server. That lets us focus on things that make our game more fun. And best yet, Microsoft has datacenters all over the world, so everyone playing our game should have a consistent, low latency connection to their local datacenter.

Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who don’t want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game.

Wrapping up…

This is a really big deal, and it can make online games better. This is something that we are really excited about. The Xbox Live Cloud lets us to do things in Titanfall that no player-hosted multiplayer game can do. That has allowed us to push the boundaries in online multiplayer and that’s awesome. We want to try new ideas and let the player do things they’ve never been able to do before! Over time, I expect that we’ll be using these servers to do a lot more than just dedicated servers. This is something that’s going to let us drive all sorts of new ideas in online games for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKharma View Post
God that C4 is annoying

Last edited by Juganort; 16th November 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Juganort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Dedi > Cloud Dedi, so it's still screwed. BF3/4 have dedicated servers, and the netcode is still rubbish because it prioritises stuff to reduce EA's hosting costs. On console you might not even notice, on PC it's like playing in molasses.

Old 16th November 2013, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7192

Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttersoft View Post
Dedi > Cloud Dedi
It's an assumption that's possibly correct.. Apart from it running Azure, I don't think we've learned all that much about the ability and capacity of their hosting services and what performance we'll get on it. Read a troubling article from one of the higher ups about Azure and the xbox cloud - apparently requiring frequent reboots for updates. Bit of a silly thing to reveal, IMO.

I'm getting an xbox one, if there's a K/M equivalent available, I'd consider going that route on some FPS (including this one). I had also read that 1% of Ghosts sales were PC. That's plain scary.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7650 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

Thanks for the extra info Jugs. That clears a lot up for me.

The BF4 dedis would have to have some degree of virtualisation involved though Butter's? There's so many layers to cloud/virtualisation.

Is it true that a BF4 server instance is running on a piece of hardware solely dedicated to running that BF4 instance? More likely its on a piece of hardware that's running a number of games or apps and possibly even across virtualised bare metal boxes? That's more and more like Azure's implementation right there.
Old 16th November 2013, 10:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Oh no, the boxes are running multiple instances of BF4, no doubt. It's more about the level of distribution though. Any cloud solution is going to be far more distributed. And imagining that in any real world scenario people won't notice the difference between a cloud-hosted instance and an instance on a virtual machine (within a single physical machine or several nearby machines) isn't realistic. In fact, it's the sort of thing i'd expect to hear from EA/Activision's marketing arms.

Old 20th November 2013, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1455

Breezy

Thanks for the post Jugs, its better to keep chasing these things than not I expect. The proof will be in what they put out there opn go live date and I like others will wait and see this time to make sure we will get dedi's (virtual or not) as I'm not enjoying Ghost at all and will want to be sure someone has done the right thing before I part with my money this time.
Gluggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 2869

Amused

If it ends up running on GFWL I won't even touch it with a barge pole.