The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   World of Tanks (Public) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/world-tanks-public/)
-   -   WoM Waste of Money (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/world-tanks-public/409927-wom-waste-money.html)

mmrpink 15th January 2012 10:03 AM

WoM Waste of Money

World of Tanks
Do not kid yourself this game is not for free, In order to be an effective player on the battle field (other than being cannon fodder) you will have to pay and pay in fact after accomplishing the rudimentary basics of the game and the first two to three levels you will be nothing more than filling up empty spots in the server for the paying player’s to use as target practice, I am not against paying for a game, I have paid WoT until I felt I had paid enough, the measurement I use is the same amount of money I would have paid to own the game after that what’s the point, because I can play the game I own to the best the game has to offer over and over and even play in a multiplayer game without continually paying to play, no thanks.

2_islands 15th January 2012 10:46 AM

The game is free. I can download and play without spending any money. The game uses the F2P model with micro transactions. The player decides how much they're willing to invest. The game site makes this very clear.

The advantage is one does not have to pay up front to decide whether or not they like the game. A try before you buy model. Non F2P multiplayer games require continuous monthly payments. Not so for tanks. There is no obligation to continue paying to keep playing.

Your decision does not make the game a waste of money for the game was free. You're just not willing to spend money to advance, to win or gain the other benefits. This is your personal decision.

So I disagree. WoT is not a waste of money. The game is worth that which you're willing to pay.

mmrpink 15th January 2012 01:13 PM

Yes you can check it out for free... so what, it's just a hook to get you to play, I will say it again ( In order to be an effective player on the battle field (other than being cannon fodder) you will have to pay and pay) that is a fact not a personal decision.
The game is worth that which you're willing to pay and I'm not willing to pay over $100 to play.

Stuman 15th January 2012 05:07 PM

None of the FTP games are free of micro-transactions - that is how they make their money. What is free is that you have the choice as to whether to spend any money on it or not. Most of the game mechanics are geared towards not having to pay to participate but they do nudge you in the direction of dropping some cash on it - and so they should as nothing is free these days.

Aside from one month of premium, I played WoT free for about 4 months and had a blast. I found myself competitive and easily able to turn wallet warriors tanks into wrecks. Grinding can be slow with the reduced credits earned but that is a minor detail if you are enjoying running around in tanks.

TBH, a game like SW:TOR will have you spending the same amount to play over the same period as a game like WoT (or LoTR, or Conan, etc). The beauty of the FTP model is that you can pick it up and if it grabs you, throw some cash at it, whereas a buy then play means you have to play to recoup any value.

Sarge13 15th January 2012 05:09 PM

The game can be completely free and There are thousands of people out there that have leveled up and got the higher teir tanks on F2P.

If you want to play for free the choice is there but you also have th choice to pay you also have the choice not to play.

r8response 15th January 2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmrpink (Post 3403989)
I will say it again ( In order to be an effective player on the battle field (other than being cannon fodder) you will have to pay and pay) that is a fact not a personal decision.

That is not FACT, that is your opinion. And it is completely and utterly wrong.

You can be more than effective in any tank. In my KV, which i earnt without the assistance of gold nor a premium account i managed to kill 10 players in one match.

Therefore your assertion that you need to "pay" to be effective is a load of crap.

Sarge13 15th January 2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r8response (Post 3404236)

You can be more than effective in any tank. In my KV, which i earnt without the assistance of gold nor a premium account i managed to kill 10 players in one match.

Therefore your assertion that you need to "pay" to be effective is a load of crap.

Hear Hear

R1Pilot 15th January 2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r8response (Post 3404236)

I too did exactly thre same thing... all the way to the KV on a free account, & it held my highest kill count for ages... 8 kills.

Perhaps you just need a bit of help with your gameplay... jump on TS sometime & im sure some of the lads will help you level your skills up.

Boomer56 15th January 2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmrpink (Post 3403877)
World of Tanks
Do not kid yourself this game is not for free, In order to be an effective player on the battle field (other than being cannon fodder) you will have to pay and pay in fact after accomplishing the rudimentary basics of the game and the first two to three levels you will be nothing more than filling up empty spots in the server for the paying player’s to use as target practice, I am not against paying for a game, I have paid WoT until I felt I had paid enough, the measurement I use is the same amount of money I would have paid to own the game after that what’s the point, because I can play the game I own to the best the game has to offer over and over and even play in a multiplayer game without continually paying to play, no thanks.

Whilst I appreciate that everyone has an opinion, and I emphasize opinion, we are also gifted with choice. We can play or not. We can pay or not. That is a choice for the individual and a fail to see the necessity of repeating yourself.

It can only be a factual statement if it is backed up by evidence therefore i would suggest that your statement is only opinion. I welcome your opinion but I do not necessarily agree with it.

Isn't democracy great!!!!!!

2_islands 15th January 2012 09:11 PM

Well mmrpink, take the invite and go chat with our members in the World of Tank Division.