DC Universe Online
- This game oozes immersive DC Universe lore. Right from the amazing cinematic introduction, right through to the way the story unfolds and missions are introduced
- Great attention to all the finer details
- Diverse character customisation, that allows for further looks and styles in game
- Fast paced action oriented combat
- Great step forward for MMOs on consoles.
- By far the worst chat system ever conceived. EVER!
- Limited classes. Would have been nice to see more variations
- The PC version needs a bit more polish as so far it still feels VERY console like.
- There needs to be more of a reason to do PvP. At the moment its limited to just ganking or arenas. There is no real repercussion or end-game goal to PvP.
Reviewed by Kess
This game is a refreshing change to a lot of the grind-fest MMOs
Name: DC Universe Online
Style: MMO RPG
DC Universe™ Online is the only next-generation massively multiplayer online action game that delivers unparalleled physics-powered combat set in the DC Universe™. This genre-defining game puts the power of the DC Super Heroes and villains into the palm of your hands…
The next legend is YOU!
Combat Style: Button mashing/combo/tab targeting
This game uses a careful blend of FPS control scheme and regular MMO control scheme. There is no point and click like a lot of MMOs out there. It controls like a FPS in 3rd person perspective. The game automatically soft targets your closest and most forward facing target, allowing you to then completely lock on using the TAB key.
Combat unfolds using either pre assigned powers (you can have up to 6 powers from your selected build at any one time), and attack combos using your equipped weapon. Attack combos can be a combination of mouse clicks/holds and direction movements.
Learning Curve: Moderate. The hardest thing to master is the chat/social system.
Crafting: None. There are collectible in game easter eggs that allow you to unlock more exclusive costume pieces.
- Legends PvP (where you take the form of your favourite iconic DC Character and battle against others). Map types include: king of the hill, capture the flag, and capture and hold.
- Arena PvP (where you take your character into an arena to battle it out against the opposing faction. Map types include: king of the hill, capture the flag, and capture and hold.
- Ring War PvP. An open world PvP match that is available regularly in the world at a certain location. Objective based combat where both factions fight to complete certain missions first.
- Open World PvP (only on PvP servers). This is free for all combat. If you exit the safe house then you are free game to anyone on the opposing faction.
Leveling style: 30 character levels. Each level gives you either power points (to select and/or improve powers) or skills points that allow you to select new weapon combos or movement skills (like ‘swoop’ if you fly).
Server Pop: Moderate to heavy
Stability: Server Lag isn’t very apparent. So far there havent been too many game breaking bugs. However that doesn’t mean there arent a lot of holes that need to be filled in.
Graphic Quality: 4/5
Sound Quality: 3/5
Content Quality: 4/5
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Subjective Comments: This game is a refreshing change to a lot of the grind-fest MMOs out there. Sick of collecting quests, killing 8 rats, going back to the quest giver and doing it all over again? Well perhaps this game is for you.
Yes there are fetch and kill quests in this game, but they are presented and completed in such a way that it doesn’t feel like a grind. If you enter a quest area, then your mentor will contact you via radio and tell you what you need to do. Missions are continuously going and people can jump in and help you out as they feel. The mission areas in this game feel more like public quests in games like Warhammer. But in this case they don’t stop and reset. They are continuously going, which makes the game feel alive!
Alerts (this games version of group instances) are fun and feel like they have a purpose. They are objective based with several stages before you get to the final boss fight. It makes the mission feel more natural and gives the instance a purpose. I for one grew very sick of other games where their dungeons where just simple “move through this pre assigned path, clear everything in your way until you get to the boss”.
The PvP in this game is fast and furious. On a PvP server you have to be on high alert and ready to jump into combat at any second. The arena’s are constantly popping and allow for a quick PvP fix even on PvE servers. I would however like to see more game types and cross server arena queues.
SOE did a great job of the nuances of being a superhero or villain in the DC Universe. As an example, other than the quests to advance the storyline, as a hero you can roam the city and occasionally come across a thug robbing an ATM, or a purse-snatcher or someone contemplating suicide and you can talk them down. My favourite (and I thought this was brilliant) is coming across someone buried or trapped amongst some rubble and you have to dig them out. The villain side as it’s own play on that too, you can beat down the guy robbing the ATM and take his loot, rob citizens yourself etc.
Payment options: $49 US for standard edition with monthly subscription fee (please note this amount varies for your particular region)
Download Size: 12 GB
What do you think of DC Universe Online?
Post a review below!
Popular DC Universe Online Videos
Videos courtesy of GameTrailers.com