Black Prophecy

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Reoh, Mar 7, 2009.

1. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I might check out this game, depends on how many others I have a commitment too.

2. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

3. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Damn, the shots of this game really are breathtaking. Here's a massively interview.

Massively speaks with Black Prophecy development director Simon Bachmann - Massively

[​IMG]

BP is meant to be more 'casual friendly' than other sci-fi titles, such as EVE; while still having a number of in-depth features available for hardcore gamers to explore.

Ships are avatars, and equip Mods onto the ship just like other mmorpgs might let you equip gear. I've seen from a video earlier that these modifications have a graphical component to being equipped so someone can see your ship and have an idea of what you're packin'.

You can play in either third person view, or firstperson view; which offers the choice of a cockpit HUD or an FPS style of view. You will do so while using typical FPS/MMORPG commands for movement, they are gathering feedback on whether or not to grant joystick compatability (YES! FOR THE LOVE OF THE DIGITAL GODS YES TO JOYSTICK SUPPORT!!).

The game is launching without extensive support for the economy side (seems no auction house), they're planning on adding a number of features in a later post-launch patch. :(

As you kill things or complete missions you gain experiences which levels you up. With increasing levels, you gain access to better ships and equipment. As you complete missions in an area, new mission 'quest hubs' will unlock as warp points you can visit. XP is awarded in both PvE and PvP missions (and presumably kills).

SPOILER - During the initial phases of the game, they player will have to permanently make the choice to join one faction or the other or be lost to the depths of space; this choice cannot be reversed at a later date.

They're not discussig at this time, whether or not cross-faction teaming is possible; citing secrecy centering on the non-disclosure of story elements.

Despite a temporary insolvency earlier in production, the team is currently moving along well and no layoffs were required. Good job CEO Kirk Lenke!

Game is currently ready for beta, and just awaiting publisher's approval to launch.

4. merwood

merwood Active Member

I have been looking at BP lately should JGE be a total flop lol . i have to admit the graphics look great and some of the features look even cooler . But everytime i look at the videos it just gvies me that eve scary feeling .

Also i Probably won't play bp if we don't get a tog guild in there and also and also i understand there is only two factions to play and i worry about the balance because in war we had two factions and current faction balance has been a problem for that game since the getgo .

All in all I probably won't play bp cause we don't have 3 factions to spice up the flavour , Not much info for player run economy and 3rd anything that was mentioned in pvp was said that it be all instanced :(

5. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

While it looks cool, the instancing thing worries me. CoH was fun, but almost everything was instanced and it just got old after a while (especially going into a mission and saying, "Oh, it's the warehouse again." - the gameplay video talking about instanced missions are all of the same station from different angles with different colored backgrounds).

That being said - it does look pretty. :) I guess we'll just have to see who wins the race to launch between JGE and BP.

6. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Agreed with that two faction thing, three factions really did work well in daoc.

7. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I hope they implement joysticks. that would be well 'normal' wouldn't it???

8. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

9. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

For a space combat MMO I wouldn't say "walking around" is primary launch critical content. It's defiantly secondary post-launch type stuff. Even JGE devs have said that post-launch if people what that kind of thing then they might add it in, along with multi-seat ships and turrets and the like.

10. sschrupp

sschrupp Getting Started

Man I'd love to see multi-seat ships. My favorite thing in games like Unreal Tournament, Halo, etc. is the ability hop in a vehicle with a buddy or three and cause havoc. A spaceship game just begs for that sort of action. As long as it's implemented well enough that both the pilot and the rest of the crew has plenty of things to keep them busy.

I guess Star Wars Battlefront 2 had a little bit of that, but not quite enough.

11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I know JGE were considering being able to use the turrets of capital ships together, not sure what eventuated out of that.

12. Leevers

Leevers Guest

Really am itching to check this game out

13. Tumtuk

Tumtuk Getting Started

Been signed up for beta now for awhile, haven't heard a word yet.

14. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

One of the JGE interviews I read a dev mentioned that they've experimented with multi-seat vessles but they've still got technical issues to solve with it. They specifically said something about problems relating to latency of one player steering/piloting and another playing syncing with that while shooting. So they're clearly played around with it in their engine but it sounds like they've shelved it for now in favour of getting the rest of the game polished and released.

The JGE devs have a knack for saying all the things I want to hear at the moment, I only hope that knack translates into the kind of game I want to feel while playing too. If not there's always BP to look fword to eh. :D

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Agreed on both accounts, and thanks for the reasons behind them holding that back. :)

16. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Hey BP, yes you gals and guys working over at Black Prophecy.

If an interview isn't in "English" quit linking it on your english website.

kthxbye. :p

17. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Ahhh a translation of the above interview, its not flawless English but thank you to the poster (second post in) who has made some new things available to us.

Clan (Guild) stations can be upgradeable, aren't attackable at this time but that is technically possible. Resources gathered are "Taxed" by a players faction, and affect respawn rates, ditto clan wars and how many resources the clan will use.

Interview with Kirk Lenke on Onlinewelten.com - Black Prophecy Community Forums

[edit]
    And another article over at MMOsite.
    http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-05-13/20090513234554087,1.shtml

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  19. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

20. merwood

merwood Active Member

Well so far i have to say i am glad that their really trying to push the envelop on BP .
    I do think bp has alot of potential as before i love the graphics , And the fact that their exploreing walking outside of their ships as an option later is another thing i like.

As far as the recent interviews i am impressed that their looking at the prospect with clan stations and makeing them attackable , And as far as the instanced issues regarding pvp are concerned . I'll be the first to admit i'm not one for instanceing . But if it saves them alot of latency and lag issues then that might be the right direction .

And to further express the instanceing pvp debate i think if they explored that area in a different sence where you can enter a instanced area without having to que up and any such regard but not realize it and feel that you're still in the actual live space then that would probably change my feelings all together .

And i think i read somewhere in one of the interviews that their trying to do that with BP But again i'm not sure how exactly their going about that especially if were talking clan stations that can be attaakcable and capital ships and such .

So far i'll admit i am more excited with bp then JGE but i will definetely playing both games and i really hope we can get the interest for both games to have respectable chapters in both games :)