Dragon Age Origins

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by C4, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

I think i am starting to get the hang of it, decided to start over though, as my thinking towards how to build characters has changed.

All i need now is vast amounts of free time.

2. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

Want a quick 7 days? *cough* *cough* I think I have the flu...:p

3. Jakob_Pavlov

Jakob_Pavlov Retired Captain

My copy is due to arrive tomorrow.......and this afternoon I got a call to say that (four months after being made redundant) I'd got a new contract.
    :bigcry:
    (Although more money to fund my gaming habit is no bad thing........:))

4. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

Damn some of the death animations are awesome. I killed a full sized dragon last night. Won't tell you where but yes you can fight at least one:) Anyway, I am playing a Human rogue with Wynn, Allister, and Morgana as my party.

The fight was long and pretty hard (normal difficulty). Well Allister and Wynn got knocked out about half way thru the fight. Potions and some lucky hits got me to the end.

The best part was the rogue got the killing blow and may have crit, if not most certainly it was a backstab. He runs up the back of the dragon jumps on it's head starts stabbing down. After a flurry of stabs the dragon finally fell. It was much like a good movie death scene.

My wife is even asking about the story and normally she just ignores any game I am playing. This game is a bit slow and hard at first, but it is a damn good game. Bioware has made another classic in my eyes.

5. ketsum

ketsum Active Member

yeah i got something like that a couple times, on ogre's I leap up their chest and drive my sword into the eye right down to the hilt... it's great seeing a dwarf warrior do stuff like that, not sure who keeps doing it but one of the death animations is the monter/person exploding in a mess of blood mist and guts,... it's awesome but a bitch for visability in close up zoom like I play.

6. Benicio

Benicio Well-Known Member

I had the same animation with my tank - Alistair. Caught me off guard as it didnt go to a cut scene for it which was cool.

7. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

Finished!
    Only took 54.5 hours.

A suitably epic ending, well worth it. The story gives you many options to side with different groups making multiple playthroughs worthwhile. You can come up against 3 full size Dragons and some other large creatures (I wont spoil the surprise) that have some good fatality animations. Also there are plenty of Ogres to take down in the final battles slashing your way to the Archdemon.

I must admit though that the First Ogre atop the signal fire tower was one of the toughest fights of the game, at least in the top 5 so don't get discouraged if you need to drop the difficulty to get past it.

If you have the Warden's Keep and Stone Prisoner DLC I recommend doing them as soon as you can, they are not excessively hard and offer great rewards and experience. The Warden's Keep is especially useful as it has an item storage chest (which is not infinite as some people seem to think, I filled it).

8. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

Hey Smoke,

I just killed my first Revenant and I thought it was WAY harder then the first ogre. When it popped in the room I was in when I touched the vial on the floor I jumped in my chair :p

I went thru a ton of pots staying alive for that one.

9. Bawheidbob

Pots seem to be a required item, good idea to pick up pot making or can you just buy these in shops as easy.

10. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

A lot of people say the Revenant battles are tough but I didnt have much of an issue with them. I did take most of them on later in the game with a few levels under my belt though.

11. CECILOFS

CECILOFS Active Member

Loving this game so far! Just finished Lothering on my main character - an Elf Mage. Speccing down the Entropy line with a bit of creation and spirit thrown in for Raise Dead and healing.

I am planning on becoming a Blood Mage and Spirit Healer, though haven't found the trainer for them yet. That combo just sounds evil - using health for spells with healing and drains (from party or enemy, hehe), then having a damage shield which drains mana instead of life. Not to mention a skeleton running around with me, crowd control, blood control and the best part of all - massive AoE! Oh yeah, and auras that consume corpses to heal or restore mana so you can keep nuking almost constantly.

I have got up to Virulent Walking Bomb, which is an insane ability. On normal mode it doesn't do too much damage to my melee, so I can cast it on one monster, focus fire and then watch the hilarity ensue ;) The only problem is I tend to attract the attention of melee monsters, which run away from the pack. I've taken to casting on mages and archers which can decimate entire groups while not hurting my own party :D

I've tried out a few of the other origins and they are really well done. Definately sets the tone differently for each character and I have noticed quite a few occaisions where characters responded differently to me based on my origin. Both Dual Weilding and 2-handed seems very fun and they look like they get access to some brutal skills later on!

MINOR SPOILER RE: RTC

In that room in the tower, the main thing that deals the damage is the mage(s) in the far back left of the room and the archers in the back right. When you walk past the first baracade the mage will cast grease on the ground and then set it on fire. You don't wanna be standing there when that happens ;)

Focus fire the mage from afar if you can - spells and arrows from all party members seem to work well. Once the mage(s) are dead then you can hide your party behind the wall outside of the room and wait for the archers and melee monsters to come to you, dropping down any AoE that you have. At this point I had Walking Bomb for my mage, so I dropped that on the archers at the back, which pretty much single handedly turned them into giblets, hehe.

As well as that, make sure you have as many healing salves as possible and it really helps to have at least Heal for your mage. Whenever your party starts getting low, pause the game and have them use an appropriate sized healing salve. Remember to heal early and often! Don't be afraid to run a wounded party member out of the battle to at least buy time for them to heal, or stop them from dying. Oh and remember to use injury kits if they do die so they don't have a debuff on them.

I also had the Aura on which consumes corpses to restore mana, so I could continue nuking and healing almost non-stop - just run over to a pile of corpses and start nuking again :)

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  12. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

I always seem to run out... there's some long arse dungeons in this game.

And the towns never seem to have enough guys selling them and/or ingredients...

13. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

ouch! Random travel encounter, 4 Treants, all root, drops first two party members including the healer, root again, and last two drop, hardly got any damage in at all...reload ...

14. Rhumor

Rhumor Getting Started

I've had the game for over a week now but just getting to play because of some issues with Win 7...back to Vista for now.

Anyway, I just got finished killing the Ogre at the top of the tower in Ostagar. Alistair and the npc mage died about halfway thru the fight. It ended with me, playing an elf rogue, and the npc guard kiting the Ogre around the room. Both using ranged weapons. I'd take control of whoever had the aggro to kite him around while the other shot from safety. Took a long ass time but it finally ended with my rogue getting the killing blow.

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  15. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

That's just a odd PC problem you have there Rhumor, if it works with Vista without crashing, it has to be a driver issue.

My mage had healing so that fight was hard, but we just whacked away at him till he dropped. Ah, good times ;)

16. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Favourite quote so far...

"Well, let's see... Being allowed to live would be nice."

The dialogue in this game is great. Anyone who didn't include Alistair in the party just for his sarcastic wit needs to play through again. :)

17. Rhumor

Rhumor Getting Started

I like listening to the banter between Alistair and Morrigan...they just need to get a room already.

18. Erebos

Erebos Active Member

Morrigan with Stern are also quite funny to listen to, especially as it progress. I even suspect that Stern is being sarcastic in later exchanges.

19. Bawheidbob

Well i restarted, playing a Dorf Warrior with tanking tendencies and progress is much smoother.

Made it through the tower and kill the top chap without wiping out and managed him with no1 dieing.

Hopefully that is a sign i am getting the hang of what i am doing :)

20. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Stern is awesome.

Alistair is totally gay.

I love playing the bad guy in this game.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009