Dragon Age Origins

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by C4, Jul 9, 2009.

1. dday_0612

dday_0612 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I am going to pick up this game and try it out. I know this is in the wrong forum, but I could not find a good place to post this. A moderator can move this if you want of course.

I am definitely not replacing Aion, I will be around for a long time on Aion.

I really want to get this game for the PS3. I see that the PC version must be much better and I was hoping that someone out there can confirm that it is worth buying for the PS3.

Any of you play this or have comments about the game? Should I get it on the PC even though I want to play the game on my big screen?

Thanks,

Psoriasis

2. dday_0612

Hey Guys, I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am planning on buying this game today and am excited to play.

I was hoping for your opinions. It seems that it is common knowledge that the PC game is superior. I actually wanted to play it on the PS3 because I play Aion on the PC and want something I can play while sitting on the couch..

Am I making a mistake to buy it on the PS3? What are the major reasons I should consider the PC?

I also worry that it may be too difficult. I am a hack and slash type player that tends to rush into combat hastily. I will probably have to slow down and think more :)

Any help would be appreciated about the console versus PC or other things.

Thanks,

Dday_0612

3. morbius

morbius Active Member

From playing the 360 and the PC version I've noticed the console versions are more action oriented. I find that I don't have to pause as often on the console version.

The major reason I picked the PC version is it has better graphics and theres the added value of having mods released which will increase the longevity of the game for me.

4. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

dday, if you play on easy, hack and slash will be fine. You'll still wipe from time to time but you'll mostly be hunky dory.
    Play hack n slash on normal and you're going to get very frustrated. The enemy often set up traps and try to lure you into them. Caution really pays off. As does setting up your AI tactics effectively.
    When I feel like a bit of hack n slash I set all my party tactics to attack my target and heal themselves when under 50% health, then I just control my tank and charge about smashing everything. Focus fire is your win button. :)

5. Erebos

Erebos Active Member

Some of the benefits of the PC version is the optionel top down view (like in Baldurs gate), and the MMO style hotbar. You can even drag the hotbar to fill the entire bottom of the screen, so all you abilities, potions, and items can fit in it. The PC version also uses drop down menus rather the radial menus.
    However I have only seen the consol versions on video so I can speak how different the interface and game feels.

6. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

7. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

PC has Quicksave!

I can hit F5 and be rollong on in half a second, I'm guessing you can't do that on the console versions. If you're a paranoid saveaholic like me who likes to save every 15 seconds you need that quicksave.

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  8. Kriv

Kriv Active Member

I purchased it on ps3 b/c I have too many rpgs on the pc. I do miss some of the config options that the pc has; but the gameplay is still great on the ps3. I find the ps3 much more relaxing to play. I enjoy the simplicity.

9. dday_0612

Hey guys,

I got the game on the PC and am loving it! thanks for all the advice.

I have a quick question. I am playing a Dwarf Rogue. I am working my way through the wilds atm. I have had a few deaths in my party and some of my party members have 2 or 3 ailments. Can I go back into camp and fix these while I am still working my way through the wilds zone? Should I, if I can? I wonder how much these injuries hurt my chances of success.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

10. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

Hi dday,

you need to use injury kits to remove those, and yes, they are deterimental to your teammates effectiveness. FYI, a spirit healer gets a skill when they master that removes all injuries over a short time and heals a bit as well.

11. dday_0612

Thanks Shayd.

Can I go back into camp and buy these injury kits while I am not yet through with the Wilds area? Should I just tough it out until I am done with the wilds?

Thanks

12. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

The 2nd to last big fight in the wilds can be pretty unpleasant. I'd want my team at top notch, but hey... That's what F5/F9 is for eh? :)

I've restarted as a rogue. I wasn't finding quite what I wanted in other characters as I went through... If you want something done right...!

Oh here's a tip too, that I found out late much to my frustration. Holding TAB highlights all objects you can interact with. And there are heaps HEAPS more than just the things that sparkle for you. Make habit of running about with TAB held down. :)

13. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

Hi dday,

You can travel without completing an area anytime you get get to a area transition marker (95% of the time, a few exceptions) so you can back off from an area that is giving you a hard time and come back later whenever you want/

Hope that helps.

14. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Ok - so my RPG experience is limited to Oblivion, Torchlight and Borderlands - none of which even nearly qualify as a "hardcore RPG".

I loved Oblivion, and it's immersiveness, loved it even more with a few good mods, and would still be playing it if I didn't know it inside and out. But a "real" RPG like Dragon Age seems like it may be out of my league.

Is it managable to n00bs? Is it only for the hardcore?

15. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Well i'm enjoying it mate and i'm a definate RPG noob. And i even got to the top of the tower and lit the beacon....That damned big Ogre thing....:eek:

It's all about reading everything and setting up your parties AI correctly. Still can be testing at times.

16. Benicio

Benicio Well-Known Member

It's all good mate, drop the difficulty if you are stuck somewhere and space bar pauses the game during combat so you can take your time organising your group. The ratings for this game are all well earned. My game of the year so far by a long way.

Cant wait for some top community mods and missions for this game!

17. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Return to Ostagar

Dragon Age Origins - Addon

More pay for downloads...i am ok with these they are quite cheap

Spec : you have nothing to fear in terms of difficulty i had never really played a game like this before and after afew hours i have got to grips with it

18. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

All I can say is that Corrupted Spider Queen is one major pain in the *$&#! I won't say anything else other than watch your back!

19. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Cool - will grab it on Steam :D

20. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

I'm currently playing a "good guy" mage, and loving it, although I've started MANY characters.

I currently have wynne + myself as dps, shale as tank, alistair as "mage protection".

The best mage combo I've found is to turn one of your melee guys into a complete tank and have him draw agro from the entire area while healing the crap out of him with wynne. He then clumps everyone together. I then cast forcefield on him, drop an inferno and an earthquake (once wynne goes up a couple of levels it'll be inferno + tempest). It's funny watching them all burn to death while attacking my invulnerable tank.

Sometimes my tank doesn't draw enough agro and a couple will switch to attacking the mages, so I use the last slot with a warrior who can intercept them and taunt them into attacking him instead, then I nuke them with directed spells.

Works a freaking treat - not even my first revenant lasted all that long (although he did survive the inferno, he died not long after).