Just bought it, completely lost

Discussion in 'Elite: Dangerous (Public)' started by .PP2, May 15, 2016.

1. .PP2

.PP2 Just Joined

I just picked this up for XB1 and have no clue what I'm doing. I racked up a bunch of fines the first time I tried to leave the starting station and left it where I was sort of floating around in space.

Are there any pages or sites that help out newbs? I tried the tutorials but it didn't seem to help much.

2. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Outfit the sidewinder with 2 extra shield generators this helps alot against attacks until you have enough coin to upgrade, which wont take long.

There are multiple step delivery(got to a then b then c get paid at d) missions that are easy as and pay big enough to get a new ship quickly. Once you can jump 10+ light years its alot more quicker.

I reset the game or died five or six time before i settled in to the pilots seat and got the routine down.

3. .PP2

.PP2 Just Joined

OK thanks for that. I did accept the jobs I was allowed to but I'm not sure how to navigate to get to them.

4. paradroid

paradroid Well-Known Member

Not too sure about the Xbox, but PC theres a link to the galaxy map in the mission desciption, open that up and there will be an icon showing where the job is.

5. .PP2

.PP2 Just Joined

OK, I'll have to play around with it more. Was occupied with Doom all weekend

6. LordDread

LordDread Active Member

find and watch a starter guide on youtube... ED was prolly the only game in history that ive played that i needed to and found helpful just to get out of the station and back in :p

As for xbox specific though, cant help, pc only here... i think i have a wii over in the corner..prolly buried under dust :p

7. Deathstalker

Deathstalker Getting Started

been playing on PC and xbox for awhile mortalis08 is my screen name if you want to hit me up for some help

8. Coneman

Coneman Well-Known Member

There's a lot to take in and learn in Elite Dangerous. This guide How To: Getting Started in Elite Dangerous helped me early on but I have read and watched many more since as I have needed to expand on my current knowledge.

*EDIT* A few key ones I thought worth mentioning also:
    EDDB is highly recommended for finding your way around the galaxy. It can help locate stations with the ship types/fittings you are after and many other things. Well worth getting used to.

The sooner you start on engineering the better - makes a huge difference to a ship. Inara has a great rundown on them and the mods they can do (commodity requirements are currently removed). It's also a place you can look into player factions.

Coriolis is a ship building site. Very good way to test a build will work (eg have enough power to run everything). It has support for recording engineering mod details for modules too which I find essential now. I found out about a utility EDMC that will upload your current ship's details (when logged in at a station) to the builder. Saves a ton of typing - especially with mods.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  9. Deathstalker

Deathstalker Getting Started

10. DodgemanX

DodgemanX Just Joined

I recently bought it, thanks for the links, I'll do some research and see if I can get into it...

11. DodgemanX

DodgemanX Just Joined

12. Coneman

Good luck with it DodgemanX, hope you enjoy the game. I also hooked up with a player faction in game called Radio Sidewinder. The discord has often been a handy source of info and the radio station is pretty cool :) Was getting a bit lonely out in space otherwise... There are a few player wings you can look through in Inara also that might suit you better.

13. Sidnore

Sidnore Just Joined

Had it for awhile, still lost. Fun though! Need to play it more.

14. Coneman

The game has quite a steep learning curve, but is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. I am enjoying working on the BGS side of the game lately - pushing factions around is fun ;)

15. BaRRaS

BaRRaS Well-Known Member

Decided that (after months of resistance) that I'd better start doing some engineering. Things were going fine and I'd upgraded weapons and FSDs to 5G when I decided to do something about shields. I thought that I'd unlock Lei Cheung to upgrade shield generators when I discovered that I needed to have traded in 50 markets. A quick look at my stats revealed that I'd only traded in 8 markets since buying ED over 2 years ago - trading is not my thing! Over the last few days I've been randomly jumping around systems selling 1 very cheap commodity at every market in the system before moving on - am now up to 30 markets - only 20 to go!

Ah well, at least I'm seeing more of the galaxy!

16. Coneman

Nice going - you'll get there. He does some sweet mods to shields and pretty sure he also does the g5 lightweight sensors now too. Engineering is very worthwhile doing :)

17. Cpl.Cooter-USMC

Cpl.Cooter-USMC Well-Known Member

I would like to add you guys in elite dangerous and ps4 if possible

18. Coneman

I'm on PC so don't think we can add x-platform. Discord is probably the best general meeting place now.

19. Ben Larson

Ben Larson Just Joined

ED has an intensely steep learning curve but if you're playing in Open Mode, there are plenty of people in the game who will help you climb that curve. My game name is JusPassinTru. Look me up sometime and I'll be glad to help you get space bound.