TERA - The MMO that makes WoW look like Runescape

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Dermaziel, Feb 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

Early 2011 I believe. I'll be playing FFXIV in the mean time.

2. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

Will this game be as grindy as Aion?

3. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

Yes.

lol I have no idea, but it is a possibility. I am hoping the content range is broad enough that we don't get stuck repeating things over and over.
    I don't actually mind taking months to get somewhere, but dislike being unable to log on for 30minutes and do something effective in getting me closer to that next level... Spending 15 minutes or so organising a group, getting everyone in the same area then having to log off is not fun. Not a lot of info is available yet, and I think it will be very much a wait and see approach, much like any game after release.

4. solarbear88

IMHO Aion was too grindy. Every aspect of the game, even the fun aspects, were turned into a grind. I don't mind taking time at each level so long as there is fun content - when I played Warhammer I took as long as I could in each tier to enjoy the PVP areas since I enjoyed the T1-3 pvp content so much - but Aion would take a fun thing like say Mist Mane and turn it into a grind... run it 20 times to get a pair of boots, 30 more times for pants, etc... Last time I logged in there was not much happening and about the most worthwhile thing to do was go and grind Lepharists. After a bout five minutes I thought to myself, "WTF am I doing this for? Its not fun." And I logged out forever. I decided then and there that a heavy grind was not my cup of tea.

WOW, before TBC, maybe had the best 'progression' I have seen in an MMO. After TBC it became too easy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

A agree, in WAR I didnt really wan to level too fast incase I missed something. I forgot about that :)

6. solarbear88

I liked to level out of each tier by killing a Bright Wizard and then turning into a chicken. Was able to pull it off 2 out of 3 times.

Snott likes this.
  7. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Personally wow killed any enjoyment i have of fantasy mmos in the future but this one does look quite interesting, so i might bite the bullet and give this one ago

8. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

Nerds Forced To Leave Comic Con After Playing TERA For Six Straight Hours

Terafans - Nerds Forced To Leave Comic Con After Playing TERA For Six Straight Hours

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  9. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

6 hours? I guess its not bad for a convention...

10. solarbear88

6 hours. Standing at that!... Too funny.

Looked like he was 1 shotting everything... LOL

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  11. Valdur

Valdur Well-Known Member

Can't wait to try this game :)

12. Xtago

Xtago Just Joined

I don't think this will be much different from Aion seeing it's using the CryEngine for MMO's, I don't understand the AI bit, and the whole monsters try to move around you bit either, though you can run around while attacking like a FPS Age of conan style.

I guess it's just a couple of kids who only ever played WoW and nothing else and being WoWed over by the CryEngine, you can't do add-ons in the engine either as nothing like that exists in the engine to allow for it.

It does allow for you to dump the chat/combat logs out to a file and youi can get damage counters but that is about it in terms of UI add-ons, unless the Devs add-in there own UI addons.

The CryEngine is quite nice and uses shader 2.0 so a lot of GFX cards can be used and get decent frame rates at 1680x1080.

I use to use a Intel 300 128meg on-board GFX card that would get between 15 to 20FPS on the lowest settings

I now use a ATi 5770 and on the highest settings with AAx0 FPS is between 100 to 125, AAx2 and get FPS between 80 to 100 and at AAx4 it's between 15 to 30 AAx8 is just too low a FPS rate around 5FPS

So it pretty good on a wide wide range of GFX cards.

13. Xtago

Xtago Just Joined

Just watched the video.

yep the exact same game play style as Aion, I guess they still have a lot of work to do on the UI gfx and the map on display is a see throu map so you can just head to way points etc easy that could be on the other side of the map.

Must be rigged up to allow the player to win easy those hit numbers are fairly low yet still chews through what 11-15 Monsters, you can't do that in Aion and I couldn't see it staying the same in this tera game either.

14. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

I believe it uses Unreal Engine actually.

An yeah if they had been in same area (probably limited area that day) then they likely leveled a fair bit and still smacking same mobs lol.

I rather not have addon access or I tend to go nuts and spend all my time setting them up instead of playing...

15. Valdur

Valdur Well-Known Member

Unreal engine 3.0 to be more precise.

Snott likes this.
  16. Lyunac

Lyunac Active Member

Well watching this movie reminds me of The Chonicles of Spellborn.
    That was also this kind of FPS-like MMO, to less ppl playing and now in redevelopment and free to play. But it is great fun being able to "aim" and "hit" your skills manually. Even "missed" hits are great, as there are no RNG doing it.

Seems really worth a look besides Rift.

17. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I call foul... those guys say that is skill? heh... He pushed 6 buttons that I counted first time through looking at it and I didn't really see any tactical moves, He wades in and swings. Oh and does a roll every now and then when out of combat.

18. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

watch the other gameplay videos in this thread, that one is a poor example.

19. Organic

Organic Just Joined

Nice to see TERA getting some press over here. I fully expect this game to have its own main section under MMORPG Games soon. :)

I've put a good number of hours into the game thus far and it's had an extensive overhaul since then. I'm hoping we get our hands on FGT3 here in Q3.

There are several dozen vids on YouTube to help show-off some of the actual gameplay.

The official site: TERA - The Next Generation MMO.
    My favorite fansite: TERA Fans - Forums, News, Tera Online Fansite (though there are a nearly a dozen out now).
    FGT Application: TERA - The First True Action MMO :: Forums (be sure to use a single digit in the "hours available to test" and no punctuation)

It'd be great to see a TOG guild in the next FGT.

Snott likes this.
  20. Zyran

Zyran Retired Captain

This looks like a game worth keeping an eye on. :)