325a vs' Hornet

Discussion in 'Star Citizen (Public)' started by Ludy, Jul 6, 2013.

1. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I like the hornet and I plan to get one, just like I plan to get a 300 series, maybe not LTI on either though.. we will see.

This statement however is hilarious to me.
    Where to start... How about here, what exactly are the fans blowing across the targeting systems in the depths of space? Hopes? Dreams?
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

2. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

You seem to have forgotten that combat also takes place in the atmosphere

watch this clip

On a side note in space there is no sound but it would be a hell of a boring game without it don't you agree:)

3. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

That was just a "commercial" for the Origin 300 series. Its not game footage, its just a rendered video to show off the ship. Atmospheric flight will not be a part of the game, at least on day 1. It might be introduced at a later point however.

This is a quote from Ben Lesnick, one of the game developers. It was posted on CIG's own forums.
    I suppose you could say, that at some point we will get atmospheric flight, so the fans will play in then. And you are right. However, because its not there from the inception, thats why some people hate the nose fans,

However if you look at the Connie, it has several turbines hidden behind some doors to assist with landing and takeoff in atmosphere. so the idea of fans on the ship is not unique. I just don't thing it has anything to do with cooling the targeting computers.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. Tarkow

Tarkow Getting Started

The Fans on the front, taken from this page of the website. Unless the release of the Hornet stats say otherwise, I assume the fans were the intakes to draw in the hydrogen.

HOW ENGINES WORK
    All spacecraft performance is based on a linear series of engine components which can be upgraded in thousands of possible combinations. Pilots will treat their engine systems like their PCs, adding modifiers to increase the performance, upgrading the engine as though it were a CPU and even overclocking them (and risking flame-outs!).

Intakes
    Intakes are the hydrogen ram scoops on the front of the spacecraft which fuel it by gathering spaceborne hydrogen.. Upgrades alter the effectiveness and the profile of the vehicle; the more effectively a ship takes in fuel the more efficient its engines. The tradeoff is that, unless countermeasures are installed, this also increases the radar signature. The appearance of the ship is altered as well: more primitive intakes look like physical fan blades, others glow different colors as heat capacity increases.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Wenceslaus likes this.
  5. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

It was confirmed by the devs that the 300 series commercial was made using in game assets. I think it was during one of the the wingman's hanger episodes.

6. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

That could be interpreted any number of ways. The game is being done in CryEngine, it could just mean that the commercial was made in CryEngine and the models were what is being designed for S42/SC.
    CIG's official stance is that there will not be atmospheric flight on release. It however, could come later.