A brand new immersive MMO RTS game. Alpha participation open to TOG!

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Snoogms, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Snoogms

Snoogms Just Joined

Dear Older Gamers! I am the Community Manager for a small indie studio named Solid Clouds who is developing a brand new MMO RTS game called STARBORNE. I am posting here because I am looking for gaming communities like TOG to take part in our alpha tests.

A small FAQ:

What is STARBORNE?
    STARBORNE is a massively multiplayer real-time space strategy game.

Who are STARBORNE’s creators?
    Solid Clouds is the company.
    Stefán Gunnarsson, Solid Clouds’ CEO, is an avid strategy gamer and a hardcore PvP-er.
    Hrafnkell Óskarsson, STARBORNE’s producer, spearheaded EVE Online’s initial game design and lore. He’s an avid strategy gamer as well as a Magic the Gathering nerd.
    Ásgeir Jón Ásgeirsson is STARBORNE’s art director and comes to Solid Clouds after years as EVE Online’s art director.

Release date.
    Solid Clouds aims to beta test STARBORNE during 2016’s third quarter. The game is currently in alpha testing.

How do you win a game of STARBORNE and how long does it take?
    Each game of STARBORNE has a definitive conclusion where a single alliance will be declared a winner. A single game will take around six months to complete and will have random victory conditions. A game of STARBORNE is an epic long-term political struggle between alliances healthily dotted with conflicts. Note that alpha tests only last around eight weeks each.

What are these cards? Is STARBORNE a collectible trading card game?
    Yes and no. Yes it has a collectible card system, no it’s not a trading card game. Cards are used to customize one’s space stations, units and empire. Cards are what makes your empire unique.

What do I need to play STARBORNE?
    For now, STARBORNE is desktop only. However, there are plans to make it cross-platform. A minimal PC with Windows 8 or newer will be adequate for the alpha tests.

What’s the world of STARBONE like?
    We are putting a lot of effort into the background story of STARBORNE. Cards, names, characters and other elements will be detailed and with their own flavour and references to the backdrop of STARBORNE. It’s a whole world with its own story.

What can we expect in the graphical department?
    Solid Clouds is dead set on delivering a triple-a polish. This is why we have hired one of the best sci-fi art directors in the business.

What’s the gameplay in STARBORNE like?
    It’s kind of like Civilization meets Travian meets Hearthstone meets tabletop strategy games. STARBORNE is all in real-time. Players log in to “take their turn” several times each day and set actions in motion. Actions like shipping resources, sending units on missions or choosing which buildings to erect in their stations. Once their available actions are depleted, they can log off while their actions are under way.

When can we take part in the alpha?
    Our next alpha testing, which this community is invited to take part in, will likely take place in february 2016.

If you’re interested in taking part in our alpha tests please register that interest here with a comment, I’ll revisit this thread when we near the alpha test.

I’ll leave you with a link to STARBORNE’s facebook page as well as to a photo album on that page where you can take a look at our concept art. As with all young indie studios, we highly appreciate your interest, likes and shares of the page and album.

facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/starbornethegame
    Concept art album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1643678315891850.1073741829.1642355119357503&type=3

Kindest regards,
    Arelíus Sveinn Arelíusarson
    Solid Clouds Community Manager

2. astrospud

astrospud Sandpit Raker for Toy Box Captain

Hi Arelíus, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    From the screenshots I've see so far of the art work, it looks very impressive. There's bound to be interest in this intriguing concept from within TOG.
    I, for one, will follow this closely.
    I am interested in how a real time strategy can play out over months. Would there need to be a minimum commitment from a player over the course of a game?

3. Merv

Merv Active Member

The question here is; where will the server be located(assuming EU)? and what kind of latency can we expect during the alpha testing for the Australian TOG members? The concept sounds great, but latency could be a massive turnoff for a majority of the Australian based members on our backwards internet speeds.

4. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I am one of those types of people who look up new and interesting companies and future opportunities to help. So I try to gather as much information as I can...much like finding a new employer. Going in with lots of info is much better than blind acceptance! -)

More information about Solid Cloud:

The 'new CCP' in Iceland is making a browser strategy game with 1.5M hexagons | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/company/solidclouds-llc
    Note: Some of the team members also have LinkedIn profiles there if you want to look them up.

TQQdles™

5. Snoogms

Snoogms Just Joined

To answer a couple of questions:

The server is in Sweden at the moment. We are starting our third alpha next month (you guys are invited to the fourth alpha which is in january/february) and in that alpha we'll have players form New Zealand, Australia, Canada, USA and India. We'll see if there are any latency issues involved and of course try to sort them for the fourth alpha.

You can imagine gameplay like this: A player logs into STARBORNE for short periods of time several times during the day and "takes their turn".

You set your actions in motion, those actions can take 3 minutes (building low level houses) to an hour (sending an explorer on a mission) to many hours (attacking someone that's far away) to more than a day (building high level houses). Once you've set all your actions in motion, your "turn" is over for now.

6. OzzieWorm

OzzieWorm Well-Known Member

This sounds interesting...

I'm keen for the next Alpha phase.

7. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

I would be interested as well.

The ability to still progress but not needing to be sitting there all day is sound, means I could make a move between meetings :)

8. @Threshold

@Threshold Active Member

lol Dol
    did someone say Space MMO RTS, gl guys
    This will still beat sc right ?