Alien vs Predator Demo is out but...

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by PhatFreD, Feb 4, 2010.

1. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

I can't seem to download it. When I click on the "Install Demo" button on the Steam page (from within the Steam Store browser), the page just refreshes and nothing happens. Has anyone else tried?

2. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Just tried when you mentinoed that FreD, and yeah it happens to me too mate. Not sure what's up with that.

3. Wa-81-t

Wa-81-t Active Member

Hey downloading for me right now

4. Bikkies

Bikkies Well-Known Member

Same happened to me then but then i tried this.

Exit Steam
    Open up Aliens vs. Predator Demo on Steam in your browser
    Allow link to launch steam and install AvP demo.

Now downloading for me.

5. welshman

welshman Well-Known Member

Already D/Led it and played it, You get one mode (DM) and map to play on. Graphics are fantastic and the Alien is certainly by far the hardest Character to control...The only problem so far is that the Demo sends You to US based servers so expect some Lag

6. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Like a lot of other people I haven't been able to connect to a single game so far, it's a pretty shoddy state to release a demo in :(.

7. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Played it, didn't have any problems connecting to a game but first impressions are simply - meh. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Multiplayer seems to be peer hosted.

I won't be buying the full game based on that. Will wait to see how it reviews as it's really hard to get a feel for how it'll play from that demo, and I got bored after a few minutes. I didn't think much of the graphics either, the map seemed really plain and little more than flat walls with an alien texture slapped on it in places with no logical structure to anything. I honestly felt like I downloaded a totally different game to what I've seen in the videos and screenshots.

I don't know why they thought this would make a good demo. So far I'm very underwhelmed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  8. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Doubt I'll bother with it anyhow with all the other great titles being released now and very soon anyway.

9. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

The answer to that question is simple, Demos show off the most compelling feature (if they don't you don't deserve to sell anything). If the most compelling feature is not compelling, then the rest of the game must be even more shite.

10. welshman

The Demo will only utilise DX9 Drac...I believe the full version will have DX10 and 11 (Well that's what it says on the disclaimer when loading). the DX11 Version is probably the screenshots and vids You've seen with much better graphics.
    We can only Hope;)

11. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

From what I understand this is a pretty old demo from last year and the full game is to have dedicated servers and not the horrible P2P system that is in the demo. Based on what I have read so far for various sources and the fact that I can't even get in a game myself, I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order and see how the full game turns out before I commit to buying this one.

12. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Then why release this?

It's totally turned me off the game.

13. welshman

Most Demo's are based on early builds of the game code...that's why usually I avoid them like the plague or at best don't take too much notice of them if I do download them...also remember they only allow 30% of the original game code.
    I know that You can run atleast DX10 Drac with your rig so You"re gonna get a much better graphic option on Full release

14. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Yeah I heard the textures were really low res. :(

15. welshman

They are Reoh...Very low res...But I still enjoyed the different styles between the 3 Classes and hope for better things to come...Must admit though having to set up binds for all 3 groups was confusing at first :D

16. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

Why on earth would any place release a demo that does not show off the best aspects of the game? It does not make sense, it'd be like releasing a movie trailer that only showed the boring bits, with the crappiest song from the soundtrack.

Demos are designed to get people to buy the full game.

I wouldn't be expecting the final release to be significantly different to the demo.

A demo is not, and should not be seen as a Beta.

17. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

If the demo doesn't demonstrate what the final game will be like, it should not have been released.

18. welshman

And how many Films have You gone to see based on the best bits of a trailer and then walked away from seeing the final release saying "Man, that was Shyte"...I know Ive been duped a couple of times by trailers for films:oops:
    Demo's at best are Beta Quality and at worst Alpha quality...Again that is why I usually avoid them...
    The 2 Demos that I have D/Led of a game over 2 GIG that left alot to be desired as a Demo (ETW and DIRT2 (thanks to Vulcan for putting Me onto the 1/2 priced version of this) I wouldn't have bought in a Million years...but getting the Final release of these 2 games, have seen Me send many a happy hour in front of My monitor (BTW DIRT 2 is fantastic...but not based on the Demo).
    Usually software companies release Demos because of public pressure and agreed they do not show off the best aspects of the game...But then, like AVP, that is why they put a disclaimer on the loading page telling You that it is not a Representation of the final product....unlike Films , software companies do not spend time "developing" Demo's, and sometimes this can be misleading, that is why I put "We can only hope" in 1 of my posts.
    At the end of the day (and the wisest way to buy software) would be to listen to Users verdicts on a game (Like Metascore...and not the PC magazine reviews who have the latest Rigs but the average gamer like You or Me who give an honest rating of these games)

19. welshman

Again Drac that's why i usually avoid them....Anyway blame Hicksy;););):D:D:D

20. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I always blame Hickesy, bastard made me stub my toe just before. I'll get him back at the upcoming LAN though.