Alliance preference

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by Rickety, Feb 2, 2014.

?

What Alliance do you prefer?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2014.
  1. Daggerfall Covernant

64 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. Ebonheart Pact

40 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Aldmeri Dominion

67 vote(s)
    39.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

But seriously, I'm going to have characters in each of the Alliances, and I know I'm going to re-roll about a hundred times until I find a character I like playing, so don't really have a preference to which one TOG ultimately chooses.

2. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

This is the thread to discuss alternatives. A lot to this game comes down to the following:

PvE Grouping (Must be the same alliance to group together)
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1276/kw/alliance grouping

PvP / Keeps (Must be the same alliance to PvP together)
    Factions in Elder Scrolls Online

Crafting / market. (Must be the same alliance to to market our wares using the Keep)
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2175/kw/keep selling items

There is one common denominator... 1 Alliance. Offer suggestions. We have time to discuss. As we know, we will not make everyone happy...
    Reminds me of a quote:

3. Grin

Grin Getting Started

I didn't realise that trade/market was also limited to alliance. Oh well, my suggestion of split guilds is moot then....carry on.

4. joeshmoe554

joeshmoe554 Well-Known Member

I'm always of the opinion that people should do whatever will suit them best. If there is a specific alliance that catches your fancy, you should roll that alliance as it will likely deliver the best experience for you. I think having a cross faction guild, perhaps with subchapters for other factions, would still be the best as it allows people to play the game the way they want to play it and still maintains the TOG unity throughout all our members.

Though this is mostly my personal feelings, and as someone who frequently runs with PUGs, doesn't do much PvP, and hasn't spend much time in the AH it doesn't make too big of a difference.

5. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

It really comes down to three options - support one, two or three factions. Guild population caps may complicate things, but let's assume a rediculously high population cap for now.

Looking at the current vote, I'd support DC and AD equally, and mark EP as an "alt faction". My reasoning:

- If we support one faction, we'll gain some more players on the faction of choice - those who prefer one faction over the other, but who would still go with the majority (I count myself among these). But this would come at the cost of alienating those who want nothing to do with that particular faction, and especially those who join later without the pre-order bonuses.

- If we support two factions, I think the vast majority of us would stay with TOG. People seem to be more "against faction Y" than "for faction X", so this would solve that.

- Three factions may be a case of "trying to please everybody" spreading us too thin. And given the current vote, I don't think it would be worth it.

Hence two factions seems the best choice to me. It won't please everybody, but at least it won't be a deal-breaker for many of us.

If we really do have to choose one faction, I would change the vote to "Which faction do you NOT want to join with your main?" Then choose the faction with the least votes.

6. Wakalu

Wakalu Getting Started

With the pre-order bonus I am not concerned with what faction we choose. My only concern now is if we split up into various factions I will end up in a ToG faction the fizzles out or doesn't have active characters in my time zone.

7. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

I would refer yourselves to the Planetside 2 forum, particularly if you are a TOG member.

PS2 has 3 distinct factions. You can't group with others from the different factions, each has different gear and each require a different character. However TOG only supports one faction. And only ONE! All other faction chat or organisation goes through the 'other game' channels. It works reasonably well. All TOG fights for one faction so there is a greater pool of players to participate.

Ultimately it will be the DC's call but I'd prefer to have all TOG under one banner. Maybe have a sub-forum for other factions but keep the TOG guild tied to only ONE.

Kaladan likes this.
  8. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

I'd argue that Elder Scrolls Online is a very different beast from Planetside 2 and should be treated accordingly.

First, unlike PS2, ESO is not a PvP-only game - there will be a lot of TOG players in ESO who never PvP, just as there are in the Guild Wars 2 division etc. PvP strength in numbers is not our only consideration here - we have to consider the enjoyment of casual and non-PvP players too.

Second, Planetside 2's factions are arguably less important than ESO's factions. Frankly, I didn't care which faction I played for PS2 - I only dabbled in it and didn't look too deep, but they all looked pretty much the same to me. None of the PS2 factions restrict non-pre-order characters to non-human races, like the ESO's Aldmeri Dominion. They don't have different zones, different quests etc.

9. Nadir

Nadir Active Member

I personally will be rolling a toon in each faction. So I can then experience each of the factions etc My main will be the faction that TOG decide to go with. Guild cap will restrict the other toons access to the main TOG guild initially but in a few months that will change and sort itself out.

10. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

And because of this I dont play with TOG at all in PS2. I have settled on TR as my main faction of choice, with VS as a second option for variety. The NC that TOG chose is my most hated faction. The closest exposure to TOG I get playing that game is when I see TOGgers running around before I shoot them...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. GenesisInc

GenesisInc Elder Scrolls Online Officer

Being that your guild membership is tied to your account and not your character is it really going to be an issue.

having not created a guild, I don't know if you have to pick a specific faction for the guild, but if you don't, then it shouldn't matter what faction you are, as most Toggers I know are serious altaholics, and so will probably have an alt in the required faction at some stage.

until the NDA is lifted, I don't think we can really say any mkre than that :)

12. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

You are not the only one...

I really like this idea as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  13. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Agree.

GenenisInc, the guild is bound to one alliance.

14. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

I'm another one who would vote differently to my original choice now. I voted AD and right now I'm leaning a bit more towards Ebonheart. To be honest though, I am a confirmed altoholic and I'll probably be in at least two factions.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  15. Brier

Brier Active Member

I will be in all three, as i can't make a choice, i like to see everything there is to see.

16. Grayman

Grayman Lord of the Rings Leader

Regarding that comment, LOTRO has both PvE and PvP and the PvE is exponentially larger than the PvP. I don't have any empirical studies to reference but I'd estimate that 90% of LOTRO's 2 million-plus regular players have NEVER even tried the PvP area, and of the 10% that have only a few actually play that way with any regularity. I would imagine that most people who live and breath PvP choose shooter games as opposed to MMO's anyway.

Cromulent is right that PvP shouldn't be our primary consideration here.

This, I think, is the most important thing we have to deal with. Thanks to Wakalu for pointing it out. Yes, as mentioned in several posts, not everyone is going to have the pre-order perk of choosing any race in any faction, and yes, that means if the "official" TOG faction doesn't include a player's favorite race that player may not be in the guild with us. But if we want our gaming club's division in ESO to be as strong as it possibly can be (under the restrictive circumstances) then having a single guild in a single faction is probably the best way to please the most people.

As I've already mentioned earlier in this thread, there is actual evidence that more MMO players choose Human than any other race (Elves come in second), so if we go with either of the two factions that include humans we'll be optimizing our chances of building a large population.

To save people at this point from having to switch tabs:

1. The Ebonheart Pact consists of Nords (Human), Dunmer (Dark Elves), and Argonians (Reptiles)
    2. The Aldmeri Dominion consists of Altmer (High Elves), Bosmer (Wood Elves), and Khajiit (Feline)
    3. The Daggerfall Covenant consists of Bretons (Human), Redguards (Human), and Orcs (Umm ... Orcs)

Ironically the faction that contains both Humans and Elves is in third place in the poll, which pretty much settles any questions I had about buying the Imperial edition and being able to be whatever I want no matter which faction we ultimately choose.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  17. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

One thing to point out is that the Orsimer, commonly referred to as Orcs, are in fact an elven race. The Brenton are also not just humans, they have a significant amount of elven ancestry also.

18. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

I don't think Orsimer are going to attract players who would prefer to play elves, regardless of them being classified as Mer, though.

19. Cahiry

Cahiry VR Crack Dealer Officer

I see best option as we have a MAIN guild which is voted as most popular by the people and we have a Alt guild in each of the other alliances so people can group up or PvP in there chosen alliance together as they see fit.

Seeing as you can join up to 5 Guilds ( at this stage anyway ) you can be in the Alt guild and Main guild so you can still keep up with main guild chat forming groups for runs and PvP etc.

20. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Just to clarify, if you want to group up for pvp or pve you need to belong to the same alliance.

Main guild with alt guilds in the other two alliances sounds like a workable solution. That way if the main guild is doing a pvp or pve event anyone in the alt guilds can switch to their main char to participate.

Good to see the DC role advertised so we can get all this sorted prior to release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.