Alliance preference

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by Rickety, Feb 2, 2014.

?

What Alliance do you prefer?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2014.
  1. Daggerfall Covernant

64 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. Ebonheart Pact

40 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Aldmeri Dominion

67 vote(s)
    39.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The NDA dropped.

I really enjoyed the scenery in the first island of the AD. It's in Elsweyr, and the Dominion is convincing the Khajiiti to join them. Needless to say, you play a part in that decision.

2. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

I get the feeling there will be a lot of Khajiit's running around? and to think I was going to be a bit unique.
    like I said before I am open to the guild joining any alliance. I am willing to sacrifice land and lore for the integrity of a single TOG alliance. others have shared similar feelings about this.

I say we do another poll eliminating EP and to the victor of that poll is the Alliance TOG chooses. set the poll for one week.

with that and the NDA having been lifted, we can move on from this portion.

and just for s**** and grins, My vote was for AD.

3. Erebos

Erebos Active Member

Ebonheart Pact Stater Zone
    Relatively small isle, good amounts of resources. All crafting and the bank in one building. However in my play-throe it got sacked and became unavailable to me, and going back there it would be impossible to meet up with a low level play when the player was inside the town limits. Got to a second larger city with walls, and that got sacked as well. Only in the 3rd city with the fighter/mages guilds did the crafting remain available. But there the bank and way shrine is a bit further away and and the crafting stations more spread out.

Daggerfall Covenant Starter Zone
    Large isle, can feel empty at times. All crafting station the bank is in one place, but the closest way shrine is a fair distance away. 2nd isle about the same size as the first, crafting split in two sections and the way shine a short distance away. Guessing from the story it might become unavailable to some based on choices. 3rd city with the guilds, crafting and bank spread out, and way shrine a bit away. Matching the EP equivalent.

Altmerie Dominion Starter Zone
    Start in a camp with out crafting or banking, but gets to a small town soon. There the banking and crafting is a bit spread out, but the way shine is located more centrally. 2nd isle is the guild town, again the crafting/bank/way shrine about equal to the “guild town” of the other 2 alliances.
    Also, it appears that all the writers with humor was working on the AD line, at least in the early parts.

4. Brier

Brier Active Member

Hmm to be honest i think all alliances have their fun things, so i don't realy care what we choose, but i noticed that the ebonheart had the most resources i could find on the small island where more then some of the other larger area's. Still that is only the first area, there will be way more later on.

No matter what will happen i will make characters for each alliance as i like to see everything there is to see. After the first two area's the world realy gets bigger and you can explore more on your own outside the questing area's to find even more quests and new things happening in every place you run into. Which i loved.

Crafting is fun and interesting, though it will take a while for you to unlock all the traits for each weapon, armor and so on, as you can only research one each 6 hours and you need to have a trait to research it. Also you need a lot of ore, wood, plants, cloth and so on if you want to look into all the crafting trees.

In other words you will run out of space. Bank and bags are pretty limited unfortunatly. You can upgrade them but it will be costly. So it is best to help each other out if possible :).

5. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

I originally voted AD although I'm currently on the fence about it. As the NDA has now been lifted I'll say a bit more about why. I played Ebonheart and Daggerfall up to level 10 so far and Aldmeri up to 7 or 8 I think. I really need to play a bit more AD the next beta. Basically it wouldn't kill me to play any of the factions.

Daggerfall - I found Stros M'Kai a bit emptier of quests than the other so I felt there was more running around trying to find stuff to do. The NPCs and quests didn't especially interest me. Things picked up a bit in Betnikh. I am not really an orc fan but I thought the quests were well done. The larger area after that wasn't really capturing my imagination, although there was plenty to do.

Aldmeri Dominion - Khenarthi's Roost was my favourite starting area and the Khajit are quite engaging, even though I'm not sure I can bring myself to play one. I felt more involved in the quests. The reverse applied to Auridon where I thought some of the plot twists were a bit overdone. But to be fair I hadn't got so far with that area.

Ebonheart - It felt the most like playing Skyrim on the first isle, and I had no great desire to run around in the snow once more. Ebonheart started to sway me once I was done with that area and moved onto next place with its weird volcanic landscape. Then I started to fall in love with the place, even though I'd messed up my Dunmer sorc's build. And Crow's Wood was fun.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. Wyst

Wyst Active Member

United Kingdom (well sort of United anyway)
    Also having tried all 3 starter zones for the differing alliances:-

Daggerfall - Personally this appealed to me quite a lot initially, although it does on reflection seem a little linear in its progression of the story through at least to the point where I landed at Glenumbra at which point I was convinced I had landed in Albion as was facing Camelot Castle again (apologies for the non-DaoCers for that reference). The two earlier small islands did also mean that if you got unlucky with following someone else harvesting resources for crafting you could go a long time before finding what you were after, particularly Alchemy or Enchanting componants. All 3 of the races are very much viable choices and will allow pretty much any style of play between them without having to look for extreme/strage looking character builds

Aldmeri - One bigger island as opposed to the two of the other alliances meant that this felt more open than DC and less linear, although also meant I was more likely to run into something I wasnt prepared for. Agree with others that there is definitely a humourous side to the storylines with the Khajit. Traditionally in Elder Scrolls games I tend to avoid all these races as they tend to be very specified in their racial tendencies leading to very archetypical looking characters and I worry that this will be the same in ESO as there is no obvious race to be a tank. That doesnt mean none of the races can make viable tanks, but they do seem to make more viable other things and as so it will need someone thinking outside the box to tank for AD, eminently possible but may lead to a shortage of tanks in general whilst also seeing an excess of Wood Elf archers and Khajit Nightblades.

EbonHeart - Definitely has that snowy Skyrim feel right from the off and as such had to play with my settings a bit to prevent snowblindness. The quest chain also felt even more linear than DC lands specifically because (as someone else mentioned) at various stages the villages got raised and merchants etc became unavailable virtually forcing progression. It may also just have been me and bad timing, but I couldnt find any Alchemy resources whatsoever even when I went back and re-ran through it in offpeak hours so this may have been bad luck or issues with alch componants showing up for my aged eyes. Nice mix of races even if the alliance feels a bit forced and at one point whilst awaiting a bugged quest to unbug I did a bit of a headcount and there were 19 Dunmer, 2 Nords and 1 Argonian, a disparity I didnt really see in either of the other realms/alliances.

Overall I dont really mind the overall choice of alliance to be the base of operations as guilds are cross alliance and membership is account based not character based and players can join multiple guilds. As an altoholic I will also end up with all 9 races in some form on my account sooner rather than later:)

7. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

I played Dunmer and all I could see were Nords, mostly. I didn't do a headcount, though.

8. zyric

zyric Active Member

Wow with how close this is, maybe those of us who voted for Ebonhart should revote.

9. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree, lol. I went Ebonheart when the poll first broke, but now I'd go Dominion.

10. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

We will need to have separate polls for EU and US players due to the separate megaservers.

Ideally the poll should also be set up as mentioned earlier in this thread: vote for the alliance you DON'T want to play, then the winner goes to the alliance with the least votes. Otherwise the natural tendency will be for people who want to play Ebonheart to vote for their second preference instead, thinking that their vote wont matter anyhow because it was the lowest scoring this time around.

After playing the beta I also want to switch my vote, though I plan to vote for Ebonheart as first choice this time... :)

11. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

Voting for the alliance you don't want will have just as many problems as voting for the one you do want. Ideally we would want a transferable vote system or a ranked poll.

The DC's are certainly going to have a big job ahead of them anyhow. Already feeling slightly sorry for them :p

12. Erebos

Erebos Active Member

Two poll with 8 options would properly do it, one for each megaserver.

* Only AD
    * Anything but AD
    * Only EP
    * Anything but EP
    * Only DC
    * Anything but DC
    * Any alliance will do, it is the numbers that count.
    * Will not be playing on [EU/US] server.

13. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

That's too loose. It's very simple to just pick which one each of us lean towards the most. If we're indifferent, then pick at random or just find something that would incline you to choose, whether it be a simple aesthetic or name of a NPC.

14. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

I wouldnt know how to tally up those results exactly.

Here is an alternative set of options:
    1. First choice AD, Second choice DC
    2. First choice AD, Second choice EP
    3. First choice DC, Second choice AD
    4. First choice DC, Second choice EP
    5. First choice EP, Second choice AD
    6. First choice EP, Second choice DC

To tally up the results:
    • Each first choice vote is worth 3 points
    • Each second choice vote is worth 1 point
    • Add up the results, whichever has the most points is the preferred faction.

Alternatively the Division Captain picks and we all live with it. ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. C4

C4 Retired Captain

lets not make this overly complex, the top two from this current vote are used to create a new poll that runs for two weeks. If there is a draw, the DC decides :)

16. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

I think the Division Captain should roll a 4 sided dice

1-DC
    2-EP
    3-AD
    4-is roll again.

The Division Captain can film this and upload the video.

Or we just take his word

17. Snowbull

Snowbull Retired Moderator

You can borrow my 3 sided die if you want to..

18. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

lol I didn't know three sided dice existed. I couldn't even picture one in my head, so I googled it.

19. Clownface

Clownface Getting Started

Just flip a coin, heads we go DC, tails we go AD, if it balances on the edge we go with EP.. :)

20. Clownface

Clownface Getting Started

Silly question, this poll is in the public area, so can anyone vote?

Should we be starting one in the TOG only forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.