Alpha/Beta testers - what's your secret

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Valkazon, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Valkazon

Valkazon Active Member

First of, I had a quick scan through and didn't find anyting that answers this so apologies if there is already some thread buried in the depths.

What I would like to know, and hopefully people to share, is the secret of their success when it comes to applying for testing.

A lot of us have probably been there, filled in a long online application form giving machine specs, what we are currently playing, what we've beta tested before, what qualities we would bring to the test phase and so on.

Now I know being based on the Euro side of the gaming community usually means we get things a little bit later than say the US, but does that hinder my chances of getting in on a piece of the action?

So, do you have a magic formula when it comes to filling in these forms?

Personally I give as best (and truthful) an answer as I can, but I only ever seem to get in on the open beta stage right towards the end, giving me just a few days to try it. I received my CoH invite with 3 days to go before it was released !

Are there specific demographics that they are after? Do they want to test it with just top end machines, low end machines, a mixture...
    For personal information on what you can offer do you think they shy away from people who are highly IT literate for fear of decompiling their code or something?

In your experience is there information that you should and shouldn't put on your application?

Lots of questions I know, but hopefully people out there may know a few of the answers?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Valkazon

2. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I've been invited to plenty of betas.

I never lie on the 'app'.

Basically when you first hear about a beta, put your name in and eventually you will get invited.

If you wait till it's about to come out its a bit harder unless they are doing a stress test.

3. Boci

Boci Active Member

In my experience, the only thing that could work for you (it can also work against you) is if you are part of the gaming media somehow. When I volunteered as a news guy for the Warcry network, it *seemed* that I got into more betas then normal during that time period.

However, corellation is not causation..but the fact they ask if you are part of the media/fansite/whatever makes ya think ;)

4. nicholas'tyr

nicholas'tyr Just Joined

My advice is to research the game you want to beta test. Make sure your computer meets or better yet exceeds game specs.

When you tell them about yourself, make sure you point out qualities that would enhance gaming experience, i.e. organized, technically savvy, good comunication skills, like helping others, etc. (be honest).

Stay connected to the beta site you are interested in. More than once I have had to resubmit an application because an announcement was made beta was opening and I hadnt heard anything. I quickly sent a message with doc. showing the date of original application.

Hope it helps

Nicholas'tyr

5. Valkazon

Valkazon Active Member

Thanks for your input. Sounds pretty much like 'keep on doing what I'm doing' - excpet for the media angle as per Boci's comments, interesting thought.
    Maybe I should be an official games reviewer for TOG :lol:

6. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

One major setback could be that you are in the UK. I'm guessing that many game MFG's in the US are wanting beta testers on the same continent. Helps to load test the servers to have everyone on at primetimes. BUT that is just a guess.

The beta's I've been involved in (and there have been a few now) were all just like what you do...fill out the form, be honest etc.

7. Valkazon

Valkazon Active Member

I think you may be right and have wondered this very thing myself.

8. Razorback

Razorback Just Joined

I always make sure I register and post on the games Im interested in testing's forums as early as possible. Case in point would be Roma Victor. I registered on the forums and posted regularly since 2003 and I got into beta in the first wave. Thats my main tactic. You have to show your genuinely interested.

Unless of course you dont mind adding to the disturbing trend of pay to play Betas, which I try to avoid on principle.

9. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Guys,

I've been in a slew of MMORPG Beta's and even a couple of low key Alpha's. I keep a Word file listing all the beta phases i've been in. (when they ask for other MMO beta references) Including a paragraph written up of why i'm interested in such and such a beta and what i can contribute to it.

My first MMO beta was back in 1999 with EQ 1 during their phase 4 beta. I believe my last beta phase was back in Lineage 2 during the last phase of beta.

10. Ratspittal

Ratspittal Active Member

There also seems to be a new tread in betas as the gaming companies start to pull under the same roof. If you have played one game from a publisher (say, NCSoft) you are more likely to get into the beta of their next game. I got an immediate beta for AutoAssault because I had played CoH, my friend who had beta'd CoH got an immediate CoV invite.

I think the key has been mentioned here several times - sign up on the forums of the games you are interested and be active in their community. Game developers reward those who give back.

11. Haaza

Haaza Just Joined

I also join the forums when I hear of a game I may be interested in. Also I am just truthful in my app. I believe that most of the choice is done through the forum before the beta even begins on the companies part. My first beta was a mud (text based online game) and my last beta was horizons. I am currently invited to a closed beta now. I also will not pay to beta test.

Guess its the luck of the draw.

12. madjock

madjock Active Member

Valk
    been part of the beta community for a longtime now and lots of the previous advice is good, especialy forum activity I find myself that this helped in the early days of my beta career. :) More recently I have been getting into betas early just because of the list of games I have tried and the length of time I have being testing and more often than not it is a developer I have tested for before (as had been indicated previously).

Also what I did find out goes some way if you want to get into late alpha/early beta stuff is how active you were when actually testing the game, most folks nowadays just take it as a freebie rather than activley trying to test/find and report bugs. If you do this aspect well you will find that if the company ever requires another game testing they will look towards the people that provided quality feeback.

My 2 cents and it has seemed to work for me.

/MJ

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006